The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:08:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  puerto rico adventure
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: puerto rico adventure  (Read 86898 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2011, 18:28:47 pm »

Wow... looks like it was a quick chop job! Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fritter

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2011, 04:59:04 am »

Looks like some professional body filler products will be needed to smooth out all those welds. Also looks like the pan is actually welded/part of the body?

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
deano

« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2011, 05:11:16 am »

Here is a photo taken on Friday afternoon (2/18/11).. Work continues on the Lightning Bug...

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2011, 06:33:19 am »

Thanks for the update, Deano.
It will be awesome to see them together and back home once again.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Mach1

« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2011, 22:20:47 pm »

The question about how to restore an old car is very interesting...

Has I learned architecture a few years ago, I think we all could think in the "Venice Charter" way
when restoring rare and historical cars.

The Venice Charter explained: Conservation, restoration, articles... >
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venice_Charter

My opinion:

- It is impossible to reproduce patina and smell of the past.
- Do that car make my hard beating as much after restoration than before?
- Patina and traces of time/history are an added value
- Once restored and all shiny, what could make it visually more attractive than a perfect replica?
- Keep the most original parts and traces of past you can without making a patchwork/puzzle of it
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2011, 16:22:12 pm »

From http://vintage-autohaus.skynetblogs.be/

deano

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2011, 16:52:01 pm »

Yep, come to find out that Diego crashed the car (slightly?), taking out the original apron. Once the Schleys got into the project, it was discovered, through photos, that things were now different. So, a quick trip up to Chris', and an OEM apron was located. That is why the front apron is missing in the above photo. Time is ticking away for a Bug-In debut....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2011, 17:45:05 pm »

Time is ticking away for a Bug-In debut....

I'd say!!

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2011, 18:13:49 pm »

I understand it won't be allowed to go down the track at Bug-In. Needs to come over to EBI – anything goes there! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
deano

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2011, 15:40:13 pm »

Looks like time is/has runout for a Bug-In debut as a finished/done gasser. With metal and lead working taking more time than planned, the Lightning Bug will not be visiting the paint shop 'til after the Bug-In on May 1. I believe the plan is now to show the car as a roller, in bare metal. Could be a VW Classic debut in June.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Russell

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2011, 16:01:32 pm »

Deano, they should have taken my offer of doing in the UK,, it would have been finished and running by now  Grin

My offer of shipping it to EBI still stands and will return it with the Lightening Bug replica for a playmate........ Don't understand why they went off the idea in the first place someone must have spooked them big time as they were up for it in the beginning, and the home of the gassers (European bugin) would be the perfect place for a debut.

Best Regards

Russell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2011, 16:11:02 pm »

Deano, they should have taken my offer of doing in the UK,, it would have been finished and running by now  Grin

My offer of shipping it to EBI still stands and will return it with the Lightening Bug replica for a playmate........ Don't understand why they went off the idea in the first place someone must have spooked them big time as they were up for it in the beginning, and the home of the gassers (European bugin) would be the perfect place for a debut.

waouww that's an offer thx for us russell  that would be cool if the car can make is debut at ebi#4

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2011, 01:39:26 am »

Fabs, it won't be w ith us now as we need 6 weeks to ship, which means it needs to be leaving mid may and from deans post it won't be completed by then either....... Like a good wine you can't rush a job like this, it just takes time to do correct same story as Tar Babe.

If I had last november that would be a different story, anyway I digress.

Deano, I wish Paul and mark all the best in getting this back to the way it was, we will all have to wait, my advice, if it's not finished for bug in don't show it until it is 100% complete and ready to go.

Cheers Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2011, 02:24:34 am »

my advice, if it's not finished for bug in don't show it until it is 100% complete and ready to go.

Agree 100%

TexasTom

« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2011, 02:49:38 am »

Can me for my patriotism, but Born in the USA, shown first in the USA, that's what I would do ... And I can't wait!

Work, work, WORK!

kingsburgphil

« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:07 am »

Patience comes with age....I can't believe I just said that!
Russell

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2011, 09:27:40 am »

Can me for my patriotism, but Born in the USA, shown first in the USA, that's what I would do ... And I can't wait!

Mmmm, born in Germany ! Chopped in the USA , wrecked in Puerto Rico........... Needs a new life in Scotland !!!

if the true be known I sort of agree, that was why tar babe was sent to it's home first, good old cali, note it has still never been seen in Europe yet, but in July almost the 4th of July it will have been seen by all who are interested.............

Best Regards

Russell
TexasTom

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2011, 13:41:16 pm »

[/quote]
but in July almost the 4th of July it will have been seen by all who are interested.............
[/quote]

Excellent!

RR,
Did y'all have to make any safety 'updates' to the cars to be able to 'run' them @ Bug-In 35?
I guess that's the only downer here, that the sanctioning bodies won't allow it to run HARD down the track without changes ... BUT, on the other hand, very understandable!
If the car is anywhere NEAR the quality of the restoration done to the dragster ... and we know it will ..., it will be OUTSTANDING!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Russell

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2011, 18:07:32 pm »

RR,
Did y'all have to make any safety 'updates' to the cars to be able to 'run' them @ Bug-In 35?
I guess that's the only downer here, that the sanctioning bodies won't allow it to run HARD down the track without changes ... BUT, on the other hand, very understandable!
If the car is anywhere NEAR the quality of the restoration done to the dragster ... and we know it will ..., it will be OUTSTANDING!
TxT
[/quote]

TxT

No we were able to run them as demo runs at bug in 35 without any modern updates (nobody stated that we couldn't demo run them HARD!!! )
It was just a pity the the gear box in tar babe suffered a slight problem and underdog 2 had the spacer ring next to the timing gear give up, which caused the timing gear to move making a decent run impossible as the dog should have run a mid to high 11........

Best Regards

Russell
TexasTom

« Reply #139 on: April 10, 2011, 03:06:52 am »

RR,
TxT

TxT

No we were able to run them as demo runs at bug in 35 without any modern updates (nobody stated that we couldn't demo run them HARD!!! )
It was just a pity the the gear box in tar babe suffered a slight problem and underdog 2 had the spacer ring next to the timing gear give up, which caused the timing gear to move making a decent run impossible as the dog should have run a mid to high 11........
[/quote]

RR,
Demo/Exhibition ... cool.
Yeah, those other things were downers, but still cool to see them where they belong ... on the track and running!
Thanks for your efforts.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:35 am »

I am a johnny come latley to this topic , but I was lucky enough to see U DOG,1&2 T BABE ,D Vittones various incarnations of InPins and Fiats ,Paul&Marks Lightning bugs and most of the cars in this, the VW hobby, being collected or repoped, run hard fast & loud, in real time!!, in real life.!!!  Fast forword to now, today we have good people who love this hobby,do truly faithful & accurate repros and restorations no easy task ,research ,time ,$$$ patience etc. etc.THANK YOU for your very successful efforts.New memories made ,old memories and feelings rekindled  ,again  ,THANK YOU!
  I am a bit suprized and dissapointed at the way some people think they could do a better job with LB than Paul & Mark .Sit back and think , OG builders , owners, drivers, OG hearts , minds, hands, Brothers, and OG racecar .The Schleys, I believe , are the last people on this earth who need to be told how to build a racecar ,thier racecar,seeings how they did it before,whatever" THEY" do with"THAT" car should be considered the 100% natural evolution of a histoic racecar and the men ,the brothers responsible for it in the first place . To Paul and Mark ,THANK YOU from a kid that jumped the fence at OCIR and the memories from those days ,THANK YOU in advance from the fiftyfive year old kid for the memories still to come ,and if at some point I get to see it run hard fast & loud in real time , in real life! on this second time around and it "smells" like a burnout & racegas  then Im good.          KEITH GOSS
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2011, 13:51:10 pm »

Welcome Keith!

See you at Bug-In, I hope!

Keith (the other one!)  Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
TexasTom

« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2011, 14:01:21 pm »

I am a johnny come latley to this topic , but I was lucky enough to see U DOG,1&2 T BABE ,D Vittones various incarnations of InPins and Fiats ,Paul&Marks Lightning bugs and most of the cars in this, the VW hobby, being collected or repoped, run hard fast & loud, in real time!!, in real life.!!!  Fast forword to now, today we have good people who love this hobby,do truly faithful & accurate repros and restorations no easy task ,research ,time ,$$$ patience etc. etc.THANK YOU for your very successful efforts.New memories made ,old memories and feelings rekindled  ,again  ,THANK YOU!
  I am a bit suprized and dissapointed at the way some people think they could do a better job with LB than Paul & Mark .Sit back and think , OG builders , owners, drivers, OG hearts , minds, hands, Brothers, and OG racecar .The Schleys, I believe , are the last people on this earth who need to be told how to build a racecar ,thier racecar,seeings how they did it before,whatever" THEY" do with"THAT" car should be considered the 100% natural evolution of a histoic racecar and the men ,the brothers responsible for it in the first place . To Paul and Mark ,THANK YOU from a kid that jumped the fence at OCIR and the memories from those days ,THANK YOU in advance from the fiftyfive year old kid for the memories still to come ,and if at some point I get to see it run hard fast & loud in real time , in real life! on this second time around and it "smells" like a burnout & racegas  then Im good.          KEITH GOSS

Here HERE!
Welcome to The Lounge KG!
& Thanks for saying it JUST RIGHT.
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2011, 14:48:02 pm »

KEITH GOSS

Welcome to The Lounge  Cool

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2011, 16:26:02 pm »

Hey KG,

Bill Rodgers was telling me the other night he was helping you get set up for the WEB.  Good to see you participate here.  I drooled all over your chop top when you brought it to one of the early Bug-INs.  Also weened on the original cars you mentioned, this hobby bit me hard and long.  Going on 42 years participating.  I'm in the midst of finishing up the chop street car I will bring over for the CLASSIC.  While we never met back in the day, I will have to hook up with you and discuss the early Bug-In days.  I am trying to talk Bill Rodgers into being at the CLASSIC too. 

Good to see you post here.  Your sentiment about the Schley's is exactly what I posted when I first saw the comments about the LB restoration start.  Hope to meet up with you soon. Here are a couple progress shots on the chop I'm doing updates on.  I am working on tucking the dual BERG mufflers a little more under the rear apron today.  Thought seeing pix of a chop might bring back some memories for you.  Your's set the standard for a killer looking street car. The one I am working on is a 66 body.

What year was your sedan? The earlier bodies had the added advantage of the front and side windows being smaller to begin with than the 65 and later bodies.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Russell

« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2011, 18:42:16 pm »

Welcome Mr Goss, good to meet at the DKP reunion last year, hope you enjoy the lounge.

Rick, it was and is a 63.

Best Regards

Russell
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #146 on: April 16, 2011, 20:44:41 pm »

Thanks Russell.  Could not remember what the body year was. 

RM

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #147 on: April 16, 2011, 20:47:34 pm »

welcome on board keith , enjoy the place like we enjoy it  Wink
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
TexasTom

« Reply #148 on: April 16, 2011, 20:49:03 pm »

Rick!
Looking good there ... really excellent.
You'll have to get a photo of it and the Lightning Bug side-by-side ... dual CHOPS!
The only thing better would be burnouts ...
Keep up the good work and hope to see it and the LB when they're done in person some day ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

bilboa2

« Reply #149 on: April 16, 2011, 22:49:32 pm »

FIRST.. Rick, Your car rocks. Like the color, heads, 6x7's, most of all , besides chopped, the decklid. Let's start an "eyebrow" decklid club. It's " QUALITY not quanity ", oops, sorry, allready taken...SECOND, kieth goss tell the GREAT story about you racing a guy in a vette by disneyland, and kicking his ass light to light with his girlfriend trying not giggle and THEE ensuing  "encounter" ...welcome, spill... bill
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: