The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:34:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Finally finished the metal work on my 67 removable rear apron....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Finally finished the metal work on my 67 removable rear apron....  (Read 4579 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« on: November 07, 2010, 08:30:32 am »

Today I got the finishing touches on the removable 67 rear apron and the removable engine compartment tin next to the heads. What a lot of work fittting, shaping, hammering, welding in nuts for the button head allen bolts to tighten against, etc.

The first shot is of the apron roughed out. I made new side tin so I could redrill all the holes for the fender bolts and the small button head allen bolts that will hold the apron in. Used my shrinker to maintain the shape of the apron to the body and fenders.

The additional shots show the allen head bolts that hold the apron on as well as the new fender bolts that go through the side strip. I did not cut big reliefs in the side metal. There are holes in the tin that the fender bolts go through, so I don't have to worry about the tearing you sometimes see on aprons that have the big half circle reliefs (from the factory). 

Next, on to primer, blocking, yada, yada. A little behind where I wanted to be this weekend but how it turns out is more important than how fast it gets done.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:42:33 am »

Very nice, Rick!  Looks like you won't notice from the outside that it is removable... great job.

Philip
Flatline-Lowriders
Belgium
rick m

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:59:18 am »

Thanks.  When you get to be my age, taking the motor in and out without jacking up the car is much safer and nicer. Tried to make it look stealthy.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
dirk zeyen

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »

great job!!!  Grin

back again!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 17:21:02 pm »

Looks great Rick !
:-)
Brew 66

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 19:27:52 pm »

Tick, tick, tick..... less than two weeks 'til the Goodguys! Get moving
rick m

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 19:45:11 pm »

Hey Brew,

I am used to deadlines but this will be close.  I fortunately have the motor mostly together and just have some tin mods and fitting to do prior to painting the rear apron and deck lid.  Still have to adjust the brakes too.  Whew!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Dereck

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 00:43:09 am »

Nice work, very clean

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/vondirk
Follow the progress of my Project '66: http://wackyracers.posterous.com/
rick m

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 04:09:39 am »

Thanks Dereck.  I am slower than most but it usually comes out nice.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 08:26:25 am »

Very nice job! I usually make lips on the apron so that its fastened with the fender bolts.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
rick m

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 04:48:36 am »

JHU,

I agree on the little lips. There is actually something like that but the Fender washers hide them. I have holes drilled through the side pieces so the fender bolts could hold them but I will drive this car a lot and wanted a little more holding them in place.  It is finally getting close to completion.

RM

Rick Mortensen
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 18:10:20 pm »

Good idea, Was going to ask. Anyway looks great ! You should be prood of progress and look forward to seeing it finished

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
rick m

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 18:42:21 pm »

Danny,

If I had your experience it would already be done!  :-)  Still, it is fun making all the stuff.  The challenge on this car was the back end was off 1" to the right when I went to start fitting things.  Body work done by others was not done with the idea of making sure all parts were aligned properly.  That is what has killed a lot of time. I had to cut the side pieces out of the engine compartment that set next to the heads, cut and remake the drip railes on the bottom of the body sections that go out toward the rear apron too.  I am sure you've run into some real pieces of work in your time too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 19:30:45 pm »

Rick, it really looks great! 

Did you say you've also made the inside sections removable too?  Same kind of deal - used allen heads, etc..?  Any pics?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
rick m

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 14:24:46 pm »

D Ward,

I just got the heads and exhaust on my 2275 last night. I will be doing some trial fits to check apron clearance, dual muffler clearance, etc.  I will takes some shots of the side tin that I made to bolt in when doing the pre-fit and post them.  It has been awhile since I had one of my cars down this far and I forgot all the time it takes to get things right.  Whew!

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: