The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 29, 2024, 21:43:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351085 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  The time has finally come - The Manx is for sale :(
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The time has finally come - The Manx is for sale :(  (Read 9364 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: November 23, 2010, 20:22:22 pm »

Well as the title says guys the time has finally come  Cry

I am selling the manx - she has done me proud over the last few years and taken me all over europe but its time to move on and build a REAL car,

I am selling her "As Is" and I am leaving ALL the Original Empi, Race Trim & DDS parts in place,

BUT:
As a few of you will remember the Engine does need a rebuild, It still starts runs and drives but check out this thread for more info  Undecided
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,13804.0.html

So with this in mind I am only asking £6500.00 ono - offers/part ex/swaps Anything considered  Wink   

Anyway here are the FULL specs:

This has to be the UK's & EUROPE's best known Meyers Manx Dune Buggy:

She has won 9 Trophies!!!

- Volksworld Featured & Cover car March 2007
- Pictured/named in a further 6 issues!
- Pictured/named in 6 issues of Ultra VW
- Pictured/named in Custom Car - Super VW - American Car World
- There is also a cool interview with me and the car on the 2008 SCC DVD
- There is also the small feature (writen by me) on the Car and her 2400mile journey to Norway/SCC in Volksworld march 2009
- oh yeah it was also pictured in a Large Norwegian Sunday Suppliment Magazine

Described by both Volksworld AND Ultra VW as :-
"The COOLEST Buggy in the Country" & "The most period perfect buggy built to date" Smiley

Lets start with the main body/roof etc:

The Body is a "East Coast Manx" item and is finished in "Chartruse Metalflake" Gel coat, They also supplied the 16" screen and White hard top/roof, And along with some help from me they also moulded the colour matched Tacho pod on the Hood

The headlamp are High quality Units from UK Buggy guru James Hale (6") NOT your cheap crappy Kit car items!!!

The Roofrack is a "Thule" item designed for a Beetle but with some one off stainless steel mounts it now fits the manx hardtop I also had a friend make some nice wooden slats for it,

The KC daylighter were NOS in their box when I got them and they WORK along with the movable "deerhunter" spot lamp in the centre - Both are powered by a seperate/spare battery mounted under the rear seat and are VERY BRIGHT!

The body also has BOTH the original front and rear Meyers Manx Badges (located by me) The front is an ORIGINAL 60's item (with registard TM logo) and the rear script is a RARE chrome version!

The rear lights are original 70's 1200 items that were first trimmed to properly fit the Manx body then Chromed (by london chroming)

Oh also there are a pair of ORIGINAL Lucas 488 front indicators (not modern repro!)

There is also the all important "Buggy Whip" fitted to the rear corner,

The Interior:

Well there is not really alot to a buggy interior but here we go:

The front seats are original style Buggy low backs supplied by east coast manx along with a pair of retro styled covers - I then bulked them out with some foam etc and they now have a VERY comfortable seating position, They are also mounted on Modified original VW runners (the originals to the car/chassis) so you can simply side them out for easy cleaning, and sitting on at shows,

The rear seating area was built by myself and is VERY close to the original Meyers Manx style, the base can be lifted to gain access to the TWO batteries and a small invertor & 12v outlet (for camping) I have also set it up so if the MAIN battery runs flat you simple flick a master switch and it allows you to "Jump start" from the SECOND battery - Pretty cool huh!? Wink

The Chrome handbrake looks very cool as I made a piece of trim to hold down the rubber, it looks very similar to an empi eliminator trim piece - I also fitted an Original Empi wooden handle

The Shifter is a NOS "SparkOmatic" item which is VERY cool and also comes with a custom wooden handle (see feature)

There is also a Grant 14" woodrim steering wheel

The Dash consists of the ORIGINAL speedo (from the original car/chassis) and an Empi Oil Temp guage and and Empi Oil Pressue guage (The empi tacho is out on the hood) and all original VW switch gear - there is also an electric wind screen washer.

There is also a fire extingisher and a custom made passenger footboard made to fit the manx body, Also a pair of old skool simpson Lap belts (full harness avalible) oh and a custom modified adjustable "Moon" gas pedal,

Oh and a vintage wooden facia CB radio Wink

The ignition is also on the dash just like a VW,

Chassis info:

This chassis was originally my FIRST volkswagen beetle brought for me when I was 18 and I was the 7th owner, so I know the full history of it, Its was shortened in 2003 by "East Coast Motor Werks" and is now registerd as a "VW convertible" The shortening was done so well the MOT guy didn't even spot it!

It is also fitted with an ORIGINAL Volkswagen/german front beam to which I welded some tabs to mount the one off custom made stainless steel front nudge bar - I went to ALOT of trouble with this nudge bar, Its the ONLY one I have ever seen that fits properly and looks good & original - The beam also has some COOL brass hex style grease nipples from a real Ferrari 250 SWB! I have also removed the 4 smallest leaves from this beam to soften it up a little

There are x4 Stock shock fitted and the rear suspension has also been tweeked to help soften it up a little and reduce positive camber,

Being a 1972 chassis it was originally 4lug but I have converted it to Wide5 using only original Volkswagen parts - ie: 4 nos 65-66 one year only drums and some original vw spacers,

The Gearbox is the original 1200 item from the original car/chassis but I suspect it has 1500/superbeetle ratios,

Wheels/tries etc:

Now I alot of people out there will remember my buggy runnning around on a set of Cal Part Mags but unforunetly I have now sold these and fitted the following:

- x4 NOS Eelco wheel adaptors (vw wide5 to chevy) These adaptors are so much better than anything you can buy today, They are made from cast aluminuim with cool fin's cast into them, they are also designed to work with stock VW wheel bolts, and even come with 20 cupp'd steel washers to protect the aluminuim! But best of all is the fact that they have proper 1/2" wheel studs cast into them meaning it is MUCH easyier to remove and refit your wheels!

- FRONT WHEELS:
x2 Original 1970's American Racing Mags in 14x6" (zero offset) All info/name is cast into the back of the wheels, they are in overall good condition but do have minor curb rashing and could use a proper polish,

- REAR WHEELS:
x2 Original 1970's ET Mags in 15x8" (unknown offset) These have ET cast into the back of the wheels so I know they are originals and just like the fronts they are in overall good condition but do have minor curb rashing and could also use a proper polish,

Now although they are different makes these wheels look like a matching set of four, the spokes/hubs look very similar etc and as far as I know they came from an old britsh Hot Rod that used to attend Billing in the late 70's, They have had the spokes painted in a grey/blue-ish colour and look very good on the manx but could use a re-paint sometime in the future,

The "road tires" are a pair of 175/70/R14 (84T) Michelin's MXL's on the front along with a pair of 225/70/R15 (100T) Goodyear Eagle GA's on rear - all 4 are basiclly brand new!

Now for the Best part - THE ENGINE:

Now this is probably my favourite part of my Manx, The look of an engine is VERY important on a buggy as it is on show so much and TRUST ME this one looks AWESOME!
Its basiclly a FULL Race Trim Engine - a 1641cc unit based around a full flowed AS21 case with a counterwighted crank with a 8 doweled flywheel - fully lightened & balanced with an engle100 cam and Straight Cut cam gear - the head are stock valved 040's BUT have been flycut to give a 9:1 comp ratio and have had the ports worked by a well known Formula Vee shop! All the oil and breather lines are fitted using proper 1/2" pipe fittings (no weeping pipes here!) these alone cost me over 250.00!!!

Here's the full spec:

- AS21 case inc full flow oiling
- 69mm counterweighted crank
- 87mm barrells and pistons
- Stock balanced/lightened 311 Rods
- Engle 100 cam (giving 0.421" or 10.7mm lift at the valve)
- Stock dual port heads 040's with stock valves, cromoly retainers, hardened collets, matching spring pressures, mildly ported and set for CR of 9.0:1
- 32mm oil pump (race trim)
- deep sump
- External oil cooler (race trim)
- External oil filter  - HP1/Mk1 Golf
- Boosh 009 dizzy with electronic ignition kit (32degs)
- 8mm silicon leads
- Bosch W8 Plugs
- Stock vw coil
- Power pulley (smaller 356 diameter)
- Lightened and balanced and 8 dowelled 200mm flywheel
- "Bolt up" rocker sharfts - 1.1:1 rockers
- Porsche style swivel feet adjusters
- 3/8th Ali pushrods (282mm length)
- clearance set to 4thou
- Straight cut timing gears
- Stock fuel pump
- Dual weber 40dcn14 carbs on SHORT/REVERSED manifolds (race trim)
- 32mm venturi's - 130mains - 50idles and 200 air corrections
- 4 into 1 merged header with single glasspack muffler (covered with exhaust wrap)

Now for the Race trim/DDS/Empi parts list:

- Race Trim 32mm oil pump (nos)
- Race Trim oil pump cover (no logo sorry)
- Race Trim Oil cooler (nos - still have the box!)
- Race Trim Rocker covers
- Race Trim Fan Belt Cover (cast aluminuim - VERY VERY rare!)
- Race Trim Manifolds (custom modified to be reversed and shortened - ONE OFF's!!!!)
- Race Trim Breather box
- Race Trim Push Rod Tubes x8

- DDS carb linkage pedastal

- Empi Tacho (later red needle type)
- Empi Oil Temp gauge (later red needle type)
- Empi Oil pressure gauge (later red needle type)

I think thats about everything but I am sure there a few details I have missed, so here are a few links to give you some more pic's/details/info on the car inc one about the need for an Engine Rebuild:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,6900.0.html

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,12779.0.html

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,13804.0.html

So if your intedested and would like to view the car or have ANY questions before buying/bidding please feel free to contact me on any of the following:

Email: lee_cooksey@yahoo.co.uk

Email: monki772003@yahoo.co.uk

Tel (home): 01923 479387

Tel (mobile): 07766601964

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:43:59 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 21:03:16 pm »

That's a steal mate! Shocked

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 21:09:23 pm »

yeh I know but the engine does need work/rebuild and she does have a few little battle scars from all that Euro touring, Its a bargin for sure  Smiley

So you want to take her off my hands???

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 21:16:21 pm »

How about a trade for a '58 bus?? Cheesy Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 21:18:22 pm »

email me some pic's and I'll let ya know  Wink

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 21:40:45 pm »

You can check it out on my fb page Wink Pretty sure it's not what you're looking for, but it's straight and it came out of the desert! Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 22:10:12 pm »

To be honest dude I really need the cash  Undecided

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 23:48:17 pm »

I know the feeling! Good luck with the sale. Someone's getting a deal.

Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 15:04:30 pm »

Like I said guys I am open to offers  Smiley

Jesus

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 23:28:28 pm »

offers eh?

will you take 50p and the can of coke I have in the fridge?

Worth a try Shocked Grin

Good Luck with the Sale fella, it'll feel like the end of an era when it goes!

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:07:10 am »

Thanks for the offer Alex but I need a little more than that hehehehhehe Cheesy

Any other offers  Huh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120656835810&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 03:08:34 am »

Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:11:53 am by monkiboy » Logged

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:21:32 am »

i'm hoping you've got a reserve price put in.
good luck! sad to see it go, but hopefully to good home for a good price...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 14:17:19 pm »

a few new pic's  Grin

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120656835810&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1064259

6500 AS IS or 4500 without the engine  Wink

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 22:50:23 pm »

Back up for sale.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meyers-Manx-based-SWB-Beach-Buggy-EMPI-Parts-Loads-of-History-L-k-/120980496974?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c2affe24e

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: