The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 03:27:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  6" ET Mags...will they fit on the front of a bug?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 6" ET Mags...will they fit on the front of a bug?  (Read 4037 times)
xavier

« on: November 25, 2010, 21:13:25 pm »

Hi,

was wondering if the 6" version of ET mag will fit the front of a bug? I do not know the offset??
Can they be narrowed to, let say 5"?

Does anybody have experience with such a front setting(6")?

Thank you.
Xavier

JS

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 21:23:34 pm »

Hi,

was wondering if the 6" version of ET mag will fit the front of a bug? I do not know the offset?? I would say no.

Can they be narrowed to, let say 5"? The old alu/steel ET Mags? Everything is possible, "Rocket-Racing" here on the lounge widened his Rockets from 5" to 6,25" if I´m not mistaken.

Does anybody have experience with such a front setting(6")? Vegard "BABOON" built a 58 with 6" Cal-Parts. Had 4-5" narrowed beam with the top of the shocks bolted into the fuel tank frame.

You´re welcome.
Johnny.

Signature.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 21:30:50 pm »

mine crestline were 6"too ,and i remember asking DAV previous DAS member the one who had the fleming oval repro bug , and he said to fit the wheels you would have a narrowed beam ,but don't remember how much shortened

here's his car with the narrowed beam and ron fleming car with  6" wheels at front  Wink

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 21:32:24 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Mags

2,2L 577Hk.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 23:05:12 pm »

Xavier
Are ET mags same offset like Calparts?
I have make Frontbeam to Veagard Baboon Green 58 bug
This beam is narrow 98mm
I think you need  80mm  Wink

Mags
fredy66

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 23:18:30 pm »

if you have the ET
this may help

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp

arabia slugs
Ivan

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 01:53:38 am »

Xav, a friend of mine has some of these that he sectioned and re-welded. He worked at British Aerospace building Harrier VTOL jets - so was highly skilled. He  had them x-rayed to check them and then had tyres fitted and they didn't need any weights to balance them!
The still stuck out as far but he could run a 145 and with a narrowed beam they did not foul. I do not remember what width he ended up with after the work - but I can check.
If you need to see them I will try to get some pics from him and email them to you.
Ivan
Turtle001

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 15:14:27 pm »

i got a pair of 6 early ET's -- they just fit the standaard beam on original height -- Jelle shortenend my beam with cm, so i can get a little lower

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
xavier

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 22:05:58 pm »

Thank you guys for comments/suggestions Wink

I will not drop the front outrageously and I do not want the 'narrow' look.

Ivan if you can have some pics from you friend's rims I would appreciate Kiss

Turtle I saw your car at Ninove this year...and loved it!

Here some front and back pictures of ET Mags. I am not an expert but to me it looks difficult to narrow Huh

Does anyone know a company specializing in reworking wheels in Belgium/Netherlands/ France(North) or Germany(West)?
Thank you

Xavier

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Fonz

Still struggling with speed humps!

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 13:46:58 pm »

Xav, a friend of mine has some of these that he sectioned and re-welded. He worked at British Aerospace building Harrier VTOL jets - so was highly skilled. He  had them x-rayed to check them and then had tyres fitted and they didn't need any weights to balance them!
The still stuck out as far but he could run a 145 and with a narrowed beam they did not foul. I do not remember what width he ended up with after the work - but I can check.
If you need to see them I will try to get some pics from him and email them to you.
Ivan

Ivan if you can have some pics from you friend's rims I would appreciate Kiss

Never mind the pics....can we see the X-rays!?!  Shocked Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 15:36:28 pm »

Xav,

It looks to me that you have "steel-back" wheels meaning that they are a steel hoop with an aluminum center and fascia welded in.  I dont think that narrowing is an option 

With that said, narrowing a wheel is only practical when you narrow it from the back side.  In your case, narrowing the back side will not affect how far the wheels stick out from the fender.  Your only choice is to narrow the beam enough that the wheels fit within the fender.  This is not to achieve a silly "narrowed" look, but instead to compensate for the offset of those old wheels

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: