The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:43:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A call out of the blue!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A call out of the blue!  (Read 2947 times)
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« on: December 03, 2010, 15:27:05 pm »

I had a guy call me the other day with some fascinating info, his dad moved to the states for a while and worked for EMPI in Riverside, he's got a whole load of interesting literature and photos which he mailed me a selection of photos. i'll let him take up the story Grin

From my research I can see that I have some one off items , the GTV dealer guide is an absolute peach, I never read it until this morning, its just a guide for dealers how to sell the GTV, its a quality read!

I also have a rare piece of history so I am told, which is the sales chitty's balance sheets from my father's dealer sales, and all their business cards, names etc, the entire history of his Santa Barbara sales route.

You can also see on the EMPI business card, the one with the telephone number only, of the original number for the Riverside offices, that was my dad's direct line I believe

There is also an original complete parts list, with my father's changes to the specs as and when they happened, all the 'manufacturer, and dealer only info' hand written next to the appropriate part.

I also have a race day program with the Inch Pincher 1 as the main attraction, with the full original duo tone 'Sorry bout that....' full page add, Full tabloid size, as well as the race and car Vignettes throughout.

My father loved the job, the car, Joe and Deano, and the Santa Barbara 'Inch Pincher' life - it was his job to go to race days and work the stand, and of course spend some time with his big mate Deano - for 10 years! I believe my dad did a qtr mile in IP 1, but there is no documentation, I know he ran his bug down the strip on several occasions at meets and the such. I have grown up with the stories, and all this stuff. It was an occasion on the two times my father showed me and my sister all this stuff when we were kids.

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 15:49:58 pm »

Very cool, Ben. A good story there, I think! Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 15:54:55 pm »

He's from Newcastle! must've been pretty cool being there during the great days of EMPI, a few more pics:

any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

YMCA
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 16:06:50 pm »

that's  cool  ben ,how many people have the opportunity to work @ empi in those time , thx for sharing
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 16:24:11 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 16:11:20 pm »

Groovy !
 Smiley
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 16:14:38 pm »

Nice T-shirt Grin

YMCA
Jesus

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 16:47:37 pm »

Awesome Find  Grin

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 18:50:01 pm »

Very cool!

I've been lucky enough to meet one guy who worked for EMPI in the early-mid 60's, and also another who worked across the street at a motorcycle shop in the early 70's. They had some cool stories! Funny thing is, they just came into the shop I work at, saw my VW parts, and started talking Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 21:45:43 pm »

Thanks for sharing !

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: