The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:18:44 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  graig foster's squareback
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: graig foster's squareback  (Read 23192 times)
nicolas

« on: December 14, 2010, 10:35:18 am »

i want to have moer info on his cool yellow ride. i never thought it was fast, just a nice daily, but it looked quite fast in a video i saw a while back. so all info is more then welcome. plus it seems like there are some type3's being built so it might be good inspiration  Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:36:56 am by nicolas » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 13:17:42 pm »

is that the yellow square with the purple and black graphics along the rockers?
if so, it's featured in a Hot VWs issue i own.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 16:23:46 pm »

the name reminds me something , but can you describe the car and any idea about the publication Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
streetvw

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 18:10:43 pm »

do you mean Craig Foster? in which case its the yellow square back with the panel van conversion nd the EMPI 8's

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 19:35:19 pm »

ok i see this one now
dkp I
report will come
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 19:39:44 pm by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 19:39:19 pm »

here we go nico Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 19:40:40 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 19:50:20 pm »

is it a video i show you??? the one at carlsbad Huh

deano

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 05:29:29 am »

Foster's panel seem to disappear kinda early on. I only saw it for a short period of time, and then, poof..... Perhaps Sarge will know where this cool T-3 went....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 07:32:43 am »

is it a video i show you??? the one at carlsbad Huh

yep that vid. You see, i try to be attentive too.  Wink

thanks for the report and info. it looks a lot more custom then i thought at first, but the it works for me. i like the paneled type3's and if i am not mistaken it was also a bit of an inspiration for Rusell's panel to some degree.

so if someone knows more about what happened, just shime in.

Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 17:39:42 pm »

I love that steering wheel.  Cal-Look for sure!  Is that what you are using in the '67 Deano?   Cheesy

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
johnl

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 20:20:32 pm »

Beyond Craig Foster's Squareback was the man himself.  Craig was another one of those "characters" within the DKP I group.  He was an extremely funny guy and a lot of fun to be around.

Of course there are many stories, but I'll only tell one.  When the DKP Club house was on Chestnut and we met on Sunday evenings (weekly) for our meetings there would always be a gathering outside prior to the actual meeting.  One such Sunday evening there were several of us out there and a LOUD NOISE from a radio and tires screeching could be heard.  Around the corner from Los Angeles St (Anaheim Blvd.) to Chestnut comes a bright red Dodge convertible (Craig's mothers car) with the top down, pedal to the metal and the radio playing Leslie Gore full blast and Craig at the wheel wearing one of his mother's dresses including a hat as I recall.  Now, I know what you are thinking, but as far as I know Craig was and has always been "straight".  He always had outstanding looking girl friends.  There were some funny stories about him working for a Veterinarian and even a couple with the Squareback, but I'll not go there for now.  Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Craig showed up at the Classic a few years ago and was in the group photo.  It was great to see him and chat of those great times.  He was not present at the DKP 45th reunion.   Sad Sad

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 21:01:48 pm »

Early days!

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 21:09:46 pm »

Early days!

I believe this photo of Craig's Grey Squareback was taken at Featherly Park in Orange County about 1971 or probably 1972. Ah, now I see it states February 1972 which was the day that many of the now famous photos of the DKP I cars were shot by Greg Aronson.  This may have been a separate photo by Jim Edmistion as it states "a Sarge photo".

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
deano

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 22:06:40 pm »

Early days!

I believe this photo of Craig's Grey Squareback was taken at Featherly Park in Orange County about 1971 or probably 1972. Ah, now I see it states February 1972 which was the day that many of the now famous photos of the DKP I cars were shot by Greg Aronson.  This may have been a separate photo by Jim Edmistion as it states "a Sarge photo".

John L.... keep in mind that the date that Kodak printed on the photo edge was the month it was PROCESSED, and not shot.... So, depending on how long Sarge left the film in his camera, that photo could have easily been taken in '70. And you're right, Foster was one funny guy!

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 22:40:34 pm »

OK, after looking at the pics here closely, we have two different license plate numbers.  Here's an old shot of Craig's car when it was yellow that's been on here before.  For the life of me, I can't remember who's gray car that was out at the park.  A couple more shot's of Craig himself... quite the ladies man.  That's John's wife Christie in the first pic and Jim Brooks, Valerie Hunt and our man in the second.  Craig was ALWAYS a riot and a guy who loved showing you what he was eating (as in the pic with Jim & Valerie).  His drink of choice was Creme de Banana which he sipped until the bottle was empty.  The best vet tale I ever heard him tell involved a women who wanted to breed her German Shepard.  Her dog (male) had no clue about mounting the female or what to do when he got up there so Craig held the female while the Doc got the male "ready" and into position.  After all was over, the male dog was the doctor's new best friend following him out the door.... Grin  Good times and a great guy! Cool

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 00:01:57 am »

OK, after looking at the pics here closely, we have two different license plate numbers.  Here's an old shot of Craig's car when it was yellow that's been on here before.  For the life of me, I can't remember who's gray car that was out at the park.  A couple more shot's of Craig himself... quite the ladies man.  That's John's wife Christie in the first pic and Jim Brooks, Valerie Hunt and our man in the second.  Craig was ALWAYS a riot and a guy who loved showing you what he was eating (as in the pic with Jim & Valerie).  His drink of choice was Creme de Banana which he sipped until the bottle was empty.  The best vet tale I ever heard him tell involved a women who wanted to breed her German Shepard.  Her dog (male) had no clue about mounting the female or what to do when he got up there so Craig held the female while the Doc got the male "ready" and into position.  After all was over, the male dog was the doctor's new best friend following him out the door.... Grin  Good times and a great guy! Cool

Jim, I looked at the photo of Craig and what I figured to be his "girl friend" not realizing it was Christie.  WOW.  Cool Cool Cool

The story about the German Shepard and the Vet was one that I wasn't going to tell, but the dog's name was "CHAMPIE" and we all use to call Craig "CHAMPIE" which made him laugh and get red face which is a bit different that Whit Haydon getting "Whit faced"..... Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 00:19:55 am »

Also realized that in the first shot of Foster's panel is our 1970 Covertible, Calif Plate 164ANP.  That was our honeymoon car to San Francisco.  Once again James, you have made my day as we have very few photos of that car...  Grin Grin

deano

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:24 am »

What I recall from some of the DKP meetings I went to on Chestnut Street, the three most outspoken members were; Sarge, John L, and Ron F, and the funniest guys were; Craig Foster and Jim Brooks.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Matt H

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 04:00:21 am »

I love that steering wheel.  Cal-Look for sure!  Is that what you are using in the '67 Deano?   Cheesy

Hey thats straight up Mid-West Look there Corny!!!! God California was a beautiful place in the early 70's
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:03:13 am by Matt H » Logged
deano

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 04:55:14 am »

Yeah, it was nice in the '70s, you just couldn't see it from all the smog.

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 17:30:53 pm »

Yeah, it was nice in the '70s, you just couldn't see it from all the smog.

Not SMOG, just the left over residue from the local Indian's about 200 years prior that smoked their peace pipes to much.........   Wink Wink Wink

johnl

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 17:38:29 pm »

Jim,  The photo of people and cars at Featherly Park in 1972, I'm trying to identify people sitting on the table.  So far I can state that is Christie and myself on the far right.  I'm thinking the guy in the striped shirt is Bill McMillan, but the other two I have no idea.  Can you or anyone else help?

johnl

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 18:09:41 pm »

Another Craig Foster story;  There was a certain club member that owned a rather large black dildo.  This item somehow got the nick name of "Black Bart".  One time I remember Craig's yellow panel being parked by the club house.  Black Bart was placed on the roof as an antenna and on each side of the vehicle were two magnetic signs in big letters that said "HURT ME".       

Sarge

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 21:06:07 pm »

So far I can state that is Christie and myself on the far right.  I'm thinking the guy in the striped shirt is Bill McMillan, but the other two I have no idea.  Can you or anyone else help?

The guy on the left looks like Arnie, then Bill M., the third guy could be Bill Swanson or possibly Dave Patrick (blonde hair)... my bet is Swanson.

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 21:53:52 pm »

So far I can state that is Christie and myself on the far right.  I'm thinking the guy in the striped shirt is Bill McMillan, but the other two I have no idea.  Can you or anyone else help?

The guy on the left looks like Arnie, then Bill M., the third guy could be Bill Swanson or possibly Dave Patrick (blonde hair)... my bet is Swanson.
After I sent the question I looked further and thought the same about Arnie on the left, but Bill Swanson didn't enter my mind.  Also, I don't see Swanson's car (Silver) in the photo, but then I know there were several cars not shown here.

marc1951

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 22:01:32 pm »

Another Craig Foster story;  There was a certain club member that owned a rather large black dildo.  This item somehow got the nick name of "Black Bart".  One time I remember Craig's yellow panel being parked by the club house.  Black Bart was placed on the roof as an antenna and on each side of the vehicle were two magnetic signs in big letters that said "HURT ME".       

Yikes.....I wonder if that was the same large black dildo that the same certain club member gave my wife for a birthday present joke way back when Huh??

I'd rather not think so............LOL

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
johnl

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 22:06:57 pm »

Yikes.....I wonder if that was the same large black dildo that the same certain club member gave my wife for a birthday present joke way back when Huh??

I'd rather not think so............LOL
Marc, I'm sorry to inform you it MORE THAN LIKELY IS..  Cry Cry Cry Cry

Sarge

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 22:59:36 pm »

.... and the same one that was once seen hanging out the fly of the worlds largest pair of Levis at a rather, um wild party. Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 23:03:11 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 23:43:14 pm »

.... and the same one that was once seen hanging out the fly of the worlds largest pair of Levis at a rather, um wild party. Roll Eyes Grin

And I think I remember just who those Levis were for, but I'm not telling.  It would be a MASS mistake should I do so...........   Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: