The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 18:59:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Capability of stock rods?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Capability of stock rods?  (Read 16466 times)
pupjoint

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 00:16:29 am »

I used the Rimco Super Rods on my 350hp Turbo Engine with no problem.

thinking of using the stock rods on my CB 78.4 crank for a turbo motor. either that or a set of H beams 5.4 or 5.5
Chris Andrews - The Mailman

Gaelic lineage with Yankee blood

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2011, 20:20:32 pm »

Mark Voegtly, of Gene Berg Enterprises http://www.geneberg.com/cat.php?cPath=4_95_2713 lightened a set of VW 311B rods by more than 1 pound (453.59237 grams) on a set of four !! To Gene Berg's dismay, Mark ran those rods in either a 82 or 84mm stroke crankshaft, without failure!! This post may be verified by Mark Voegtly, or ask one of Mark's many inner circle of friends. My post is to demonstrate the longevity of a PROPERLY prepared VW 311B connecting rod.

Sincerely,

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at.....how many want in.......and how many want to get out."
-Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost, The Mending Wall - 1914
Udo

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 19:38:35 pm »

thinking of using the stock rods on my CB 78.4 crank for a turbo motor. either that or a set of H beams 5.4 or 5.5

For turbo use i think pauter rods are better  Smiley

Udo

Gaelic lineage with Yankee blood

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2011, 08:29:56 am »

For turbo use i think pauter rods are better  Smiley

Udo

Personally, I believe that Mr. Becker is correct. Pauter rods are one of, if not the strongest design of connecting rod currently available. I will say that when I come to order a set of custom connecting rods, I will call Pauter Machine to place an order.

Sincerely,

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at.....how many want in.......and how many want to get out."
-Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost, The Mending Wall - 1914
Udo

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 19:39:20 pm »

I think i posted that picture here in another thread , this is what i do with original rods when using at higher rpm's . But only recommend for N/A engines

Udo

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:43 am »

udo, those rods look really nice.
but how does polishing help at higher RPMs?
or am i missing something?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Airspeed

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2011, 09:52:30 am »

A polished surface is more resistant to prevent a crack from starting to develop. So its a strength-adding measure and with more rpm you need stronger parts.
Polishing is also a 'by-product' when you remove a little bit of material for weight saving purposes as I see it: might as well polish it a bit more and add a little strength by doing so  Wink
Shot peening would be even more effective in strengthening the surface structure imo, but shotpeening is a dying-out craftmanship is my impression and could be even more expensive because of that.

Those look just perfect Udo!
Would using ARP bolts on these make them even more high-rpm suited or are the stock bolts not the limitation on these?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:59:22 am by Airspeed » Logged

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2011, 10:20:59 am »

thanks for the explanation, walter  Wink
my rimco super rods have been shotpeened. i'm not using them though as i stuck with my stock rods.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Bruce

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2011, 08:16:19 am »

.. its a strength-adding measure ......
It doesn't really add strength, it takes away weakness.
Larry S

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2011, 03:42:45 am »

I ran stock balanced set of rods in a 1750cc that ran my 57 into the 13's back in 83', I drove the car everyday to work at Hughes Aircraft in Fullerton and all over So Cal for a long time. That motor saw 7200 rpm everyday I drove it. It had major welded ported heads with 48's, 69mm counter weighted crank, Engle VZ73 cam, autocraft 1:4 rockers and Dave Folts trans 4:12 R&P with 1.21 fourth. I have had motors a lot bigger and more hp but that was my favorite. I still have the rods sitting on a shelf, can't get myself to throw them away they served me so well. I built a 1776 last year and upgraded almost everything except the rods, just rebuilt stockers balanced.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
markvo

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 20:00:12 pm »

Stock rods will handle many many cycles over 9000  RPM and high compressions too. It depends on the stroke and the weight of the pistons,pins etc. The Stock rods with stock 11.0 bolts that Chris talked about with over 1 lb removed off the set are still running today!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: