The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:34:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  36-horse doghouse shrouds... do any contain the proper number of veins?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 36-horse doghouse shrouds... do any contain the proper number of veins?  (Read 2021 times)
bugnut68

« on: December 22, 2010, 20:25:24 pm »

Just wondering if any of the 36-horse doghouse shrouds out there have the proper number of veins?  It was just brought to my attention that the Scat shroud I bought does not have all the veins in it.  I know people talk about not being able to mount Berg linkage on there (I won't be running that, but most likely either CB hex bar or Scat push pull linkage) but I am wondering if there's any aftermarket 36-horse shrouds that feature the proper number of veins inside.  Bugpack's catalog says they were reengineered in 1992 for proper function and cooling, but I don't want to buy something only to get the same thing as I have now.

As for factory VW shrouds, the only options I have are either run an in-house shroud with a genuine 36 horse shroud or else try and hunt down a Thing doghouse shroud.  I do NOT want to run a shroud with heater vents, and that's all I have in my garage right now.

Thanks for any help!  Grin
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 21:50:04 pm »

From what I know they are all the same.

Just run it you'll be fine.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 05:17:14 am »

scat 36 HP doghouse shrouds do have all 9 internal veins for max cooling, plus bottom of shroud is notched and dimpled like a stock shroud to clear the case.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 17:17:37 pm »

The Worst thing about any of the  36 Horse Doghouse Shrouds is that all the fins are only spot welded to the Back of the shroud I have seen a lot of these with the fins breaking at the spot welds and the fins end up laying on top of the cylinders or in the worst case they go threw the fan and break a lot of parts I recommend have the fins spot welded on the front half before using one better Safe then Sorry  here is where they need spot welded
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 17:25:32 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »