The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 18:52:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  What Ignition with turbo ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What Ignition with turbo ?  (Read 5528 times)
AlexB

« on: December 28, 2010, 13:28:29 pm »

Having just sold the Jagerbugs 1914 engine I am now in the process of putting 2 new engines together for next season - first is the rebuild of our 2276 on 48 Idas which is getting a new crank and bearings after we trashed them at bugjam 2009 ! but the second engine is a 76mm cranked Oxyboxer I have been collecting bits for over the last 2 years - I have just bought a pull through turbo setup pulling through a 45 dcoe weber with a crown adaptor - engine will run a tcs 20 cam ( its coming with the turbo kit !) and 42 x 37 heads but having read up about ignition setups there seems to be the 'locked out 009' school of thought which is the budget option or the other option ( which I think sounds better) using a megajolt ignition with a crank trigger and edis/coilpack and no dizzy

Anyone got any experiences/advice they would care to share

Cheers

Alex  Grin
Jesse Wens

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 13:53:32 pm »

I'm gonna use a crank triggered system with double distributor and twin spark. Fully programmable for each spark independantly.
I did locked distributor last 2 years and it works easily, but far from perfectly, specialy on a street driven car.
The twin spark is a little extra, hope it pays dividends. The bigger the bore , the more they say.

Hope to race you guys again at the EBI, I'm the 1200 turbo guy , we did some runs together.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 13:58:18 pm by ruffbiker » Logged

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 18:46:31 pm »

Don't just lock out the 009. Modify it internally to stop it advancing, but you will need some advance. My big mistake was just turning the dizzy back to 24 deg max advance, which made it so far retarded at idle it took most of the run to get onto boost! I'm no expert on turbos, far from it, but this is just what I found.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
AlexB

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 22:40:31 pm »

Don't just lock out the 009. Modify it internally to stop it advancing, but you will need some advance. My big mistake was just turning the dizzy back to 24 deg max advance, which made it so far retarded at idle it took most of the run to get onto boost! I'm no expert on turbos, far from it, but this is just what I found.

Thanks Neil - any pointers as to what internal advance mods can be made ?

Cheers

Alex  Smiley
StrokerMcDell

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 21:05:34 pm »

Mallory Digital VI - 685 HyFire Capacitive Discharge Ignition System

C/w Mallory HVC coil and Mallory Dissy.

Relatively inexpensive ,very easy to set up and use and all the functions you need for a draw thru turbo set up.

Regds
David

ACE 116
10.67 @ 123mph York 2010
10.89 @ 125mph York 2009
Momentum 99octane pump gas
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 22:38:46 pm »

Thanks Neil - any pointers as to what internal advance mods can be made ?

Cheers

Alex  Smiley

I read in VW Trends several months after abandoning my turbo ideas that there are a pair of weights inside the dizzy, and as the rpms increase, the weights move further out, increasing the advance until they reach a stop. Apparently, you need to bend the stops up so that the advance stops at 24 deg, not 32. I never did this, and the turbo is still all in a box in my garage!

Dave R (Stroker McDell) has practical knowledge of the system he details, so I think I'd go with something like that.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
StrokerMcDell

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 21:34:15 pm »

Hi Neil, Thanks for that  Wink

We're still not making full use of all the Mallory functions but thats cause we're still learning .
The Hyfire allows you to set timing normally at 32*and then using the 3 bar map sensor add on pull it back progressively to the "magic" 24* in line with your chosen boost profile/level.
We're also using a stand alone Snow Performance water/methanol injection system this coming year so will have to adjust the Mallory to pull out less timing and run more advance with less danger of detonation during a pass.

Also going to use the second stage aux RPM launch combined with the high RPM timing retard.

The above aux RPM feature allows you to achieve a consistent launch from a RPM very close to your preset max level, on a turbo motor this means that you are making boost off the line rather than spooling up .. and combining that with the high RPM retard you can in effect have two stages of turbo power with relatively safety.

Obviously there needs to be a means of switching the aux RPM launch and timing retard on and off so that its only functioning at launch.
Easiest way of doing this is simply to plumb a brake switch into your hydraulic staging brake line ...  soon as you let the staging brake off the auxiliaries also switch off.

Mallory is a good set up but so is MSD.

David
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 14:53:45 pm by StrokerMcDell » Logged

ACE 116
10.67 @ 123mph York 2010
10.89 @ 125mph York 2009
Momentum 99octane pump gas
PPRMicke

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 12:33:24 pm »

Hi Alex
It's funny that you think of one of the most important things in turbo ignition
The current thinking is as much energy as possible so as not to detonate
O using the MSD product type msd 6 BTM and blaster ss / -2 HVC coil finally MSD 8485 Distributor
watch what happens in Promod (v8) today where the turbo starts to become a winner 
I have been in and playing in the Pro Stock / Promod in the world as Crew Chief
We have found the only thing that we can use the msd products to get constant ignition

Regad Michael Karlsson /PP Racing

Having just sold the Jagerbugs 1914 engine I am now in the process of putting 2 new engines together for next season - first is the rebuild of our 2276 on 48 Idas which is getting a new crank and bearings after we trashed them at bugjam 2009 ! but the second engine is a 76mm cranked Oxyboxer I have been collecting bits for over the last 2 years - I have just bought a pull through turbo setup pulling through a 45 dcoe weber with a crown adaptor - engine will run a tcs 20 cam ( its coming with the turbo kit !) and 42 x 37 heads but having read up about ignition setups there seems to be the 'locked out 009' school of thought which is the budget option or the other option ( which I think sounds better) using a megajolt ignition with a crank trigger and edis/coilpack and no dizzy

Anyone got any experiences/advice they would care to share

Cheers

Alex  Grin
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 14:45:06 pm »

I use a limted advance (not locked) distributor.

There's a great write up on page 1 of this forum post carried out by Kev Donlon.

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=395047&highlight=Hovis

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: