The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:50:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Street and strip shocks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Street and strip shocks  (Read 3924 times)
69Stu

« on: May 02, 2007, 21:31:20 pm »

I am looking to change the shocks on my bug to something adjustable so that I can shange the settings between street and strip use, and hopfully improve the launch on the strip.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

I have been looking at the Avo double adjustable shocks, does anybody have any experience with using these on the street? and can they be set soft enough for a smooth ride on the front of a ball joint bug?

Cheers.

Stuart
Roman

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 22:10:56 pm »

I havent tested the AVO double adjustable, but I have tested the single adjustables. They are a bit to hard for my taste to use on the front on a bug aven on the softest setting. The on the rear in anoother anomal, they work great there.
Use stock shocks they do the work, old worn ones for the strip and new ones for the street.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:16:41 am »

Koni?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
69Stu

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:44:25 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

Roman
As i am not producing that much power, at the moment  Wink, I am looking for something that can be adjusted to act like a 90/10 shock on the strip, to get the weight transfered onto the rear tyres and keep it there, I am not sure that stock shocks will do this, and then be able to adjust them for a smooth ride home.

Zach
Have you used koni shocks?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 16:02:22 pm »

Zach
Have you used koni shocks?

Not yet- Ive got a set coming for my GTV bug although it will be daily driver use, hardly any dragstrip. I suppose if you set them up soft in the front and firm in the rear they would work great for weight transfer. Probably work well on the street in that configuration as well. I know there are a few fast street cars in the US that use them.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
larry mck

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:19:32 am »

Do what I do, have two sets, stock for every day then change to the 90/10 for racing. It only takes a few minutes to change them. You will enjoy the nice soft ride of the stock shocks for every day. This is for the front. I use Konis on the rear.
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:09:26 am »

I have just recently fitted a pair of shorter Koni's (#80-1580) and they are great for everyday use...
 I have never used them on the strip though..

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
oldbug

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 19:50:07 pm »

hi guys,
any references of all this shocks and where to find them ?
what will be the best combination for a strip bug (a little street) front and rear ?
thanks to all.

Laurent
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: