The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:49:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  67 karmann ghia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: 67 karmann ghia  (Read 86892 times)
Glauco

« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:03 am »

Are you gonna detail the parts a bit more?  gearbox, shocks, bolts, ...?
keep up the good work!

Shocks will be replaced in the near future, and this is a temporay gearbox, I have a second one that will be rebuild for the next engine.
Next winter the rear suspension will be professionally rust protected/painted, no funds for that for now Smiley
wolfswest

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 09:40:13 am »

Are you gonna detail the parts a bit more?  gearbox, shocks, bolts, ...?
keep up the good work!

Shocks will be replaced in the near future, and this is a temporay gearbox, I have a second one that will be rebuild for the next engine.
Next winter the rear suspension will be professionally rust protected/painted, no funds for that for now Smiley

good thinking, get her on the road and detail her later when the funds are available!  I've been detailing for some years now but still I'm getting nowhere!  Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Glauco

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2013, 19:52:51 pm »

update!

did some more work on the floorpan and started to put together the engine
the adaptors for the front porsche brakes caliper are made, the hub adaptors are being made so it fits the vw spindle, hope to get them somewhere this week.

the engine is coming along nicely, it will be a 1641 with Italian 40 idf's with electronic fuel pump, complete accuspark electronic ignition, case adapted for full flow with a oil pump from a 92 beetle with screw on oil filter, the oil pumps exit is blocked of and a bypass after the filter was made to go to an extra oil cooler. hope to get the breather box on wednesday
I matched the weight of the new 87mm pistons (there was a differance of 6grams!) and started work on the heads, the inlet at the manifold side was opened a little more towards the valve, the valve side will be worked tomorrow and after that the exhaust will get some changing also. I'm still waiting for the manifolds to arrive so I can match them to the new shape of the inlet.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
the pump exit blocked of at the pump and at the lid.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
test fitted the exhaust on the engine to make sure the pump doesnt touch the filter and made a hole in the pulley plate for a tube to enter the engine (didn't see another solution..)

the head-work, got the valves out today so I can start on the rest of the work. once the ports are finished my brother will put in new valve seats and give it a higher compression ratio, somewhere in the 8,5-9:1 area..

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 19:59:56 pm by Mr.Oldskool » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 19:16:28 pm »

Finished the rough grinding of the ports, inlet is completely smooth now and the outlet ports are opened up some more as well.
The heads will get new valve seats and one of the spark plug holes needs new treads.
Tomorrow we will see how much led-work it will take to make the car look a little better..
Took the wheels out to wheelshop so in a couple of weeks I will have 4,5 and 5,5inch cookiecutters :-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 15:05:17 pm by Mr.Oldskool » Logged
wolfswest

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 21:18:05 pm »

Those cookie cutters will make some great water hose reels.  Grin

Glauco

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 21:52:25 pm »

Those cookie cutters will make some great water hose reels.  Grin
I'll keep that in mind if the wheels don't turn out what I hoop them to bee, but I'm pretty sure it will turn out great  Wink
Glauco

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2013, 15:46:35 pm »

didn't get to do as much work on the ghia as I would like to but managed to get some work done yesterday

the engine is ready for assembly, matched the manifolds and smoothened the grindwork.
heads will get new valve seats with 3 angles instead of 1 somewhere this week.
also got stainless steel valves witch will get some radius on the exhaust side. Along withthe 1.4 rockers, heavy duty single springs, hardened hats and chromoly valve retainers this will hopefully be an interesting 1641 engine  Grin

this is how much I needed to take of the manifolds to match the port

The guy from work came to have a look last week and he put some led on the welds, but it will take some filler to get it just right.
the body got its first coat of filler and started sanding down the first headlight. Took me the best part of yesterday to be honest  Tongue
the line on top allone took me more than an hour to get it where it should be, a well trained body worker will get it in this stage a lot quicker, but I'm still learning as I go. (that's probably why that most things take me longer that I would like to, but I get more satisfaction of doing (or at least trying) it myself..

looks like a lot of filler, but it's actually not that much concidering that the complete front was covered with at least 4mm of filler to begin with..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 16:18:49 pm by Mr.Oldskool » Logged
Glauco

A
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:18 pm »

because of pain in my nek and back, thanks to an accident with my van from work I didn't get to do much, but I had to try my new sanding machine so did a little
Rockers arrived as well..

right side, second go. After getting the line right I blended it in with the headlight cirkle.

left side, first go

Panel behind the door, first go, needs a little bit more, but it's getting there

the rest we will try to hammer out a little more before filling it with led or filler.

cheers.
wolfswest

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 17:34:24 pm »

keep up the good work man!  See you next thursday @ the monthly dinner.  Okay that I take the merged header with me?  Wink

Glauco

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 17:43:14 pm »

keep up the good work man!  See you next thursday @ the monthly dinner.  Okay that I take the merged header with me?  Wink

Perfect! See you next week
Glauco

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2013, 19:53:27 pm »

Front porsche brakes are on!

some more sanding..

that's it for today, problems with my neck and back are getting better, so hopefully I can get some more work done again this week.

glauco
cedric

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2013, 09:54:37 am »

Good work! Grin
Glauco

« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2013, 15:13:45 pm »

worked on the front brakes some more today, just need to mount the adapter plates for the caliper and then it would be finished.
Handbrake is finished as well, so when I get my wheels it will be a 95% finished floor.
just need to source the type 1 gearbox to Type 2 flanges somewhere in europe, because the customs here charge way too much tax on products coming from the states..

driver side

Passenger side

'New' Exhaust, will get painted tomorrow
thank you wolfwest  Grin
wolfswest

« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2013, 15:21:39 pm »

Shocked Shocked killer exhaust bro!  Grin  it can handle 190 HP easy!  Tongue

Glauco

« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2013, 11:45:06 am »

put on spray filler yesterday and sanded it down today, real glad with the result, the nose will be done by the end of the week I hope; so I can start doing the back next week.
the spray

After sanding with a 240grid, need to respray and than sand it for paint.

will get some more picutres tomorrow
wolfswest

« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:45 pm »

Shocked  Grin  Don't forget to give your inner wheel arches the same love, it's all about the details!

Glauco

« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »

Shocked  Grin  Don't forget to give your inner wheel arches the same love, it's all about the details!

that's the next step Wink
Glauco

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2013, 15:55:53 pm »

my new wheels, a set of dan gurney's from a 914/6, will get a painted heart and polished rim.
not yet sure what colour, will see what colour the car will be..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:55:06 am by Mr.Oldskool » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2013, 16:12:54 pm »

Test fitted the body today, all the holes match perfect, didn't expect it to go that easy, altough I measured 67 times, you're never sure unless you test fit..
The pan is now finished, just need to order and than hook up the rear disc brake hoses and than it's completely finished..

Tomorrow I will take the body back of so I can finish the bodywork, hopefully this week or the next, I have 2 more weeks of Holiday before I start at my new job, so I'm going to make the best use of it  Grin

didn't take pictures of all the holes, but you get the idea  Wink

didn't weld the outer bodymetal to the chassis beam yet because I was afraid I needed to take it of again..
Glauco

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2014, 17:43:29 pm »

long time no post (again)
to get you guys back on pace, the ghia's interior is painted and is mounted on the chassis again.
I'm in the stadium where I'm testfitting everything one last time before I paint them.
I'm painting the doors and hoods tomorrow and hopefully the car itself somewhere this month..
tried the wheels on, but I'm gonna need smaller tires in the back, it was worth the try..  Tongue
glauco
wolfswest

« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2014, 11:23:17 am »

Great colour!  Hope to see it in the flesh one of these days.

Glauco

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2014, 06:51:28 am »

Great colour!  Hope to see it in the flesh one of these days.
Welcome any time,  I'll be there all day on monday Wink
Glauco

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2014, 18:02:09 pm »

did some paintwork today, will polish them friday.
Also cut the rear trailing arms by 1inch to give me a little more space for tires, just need to find a place to shorten my axles..
homemade fiberglass hood  Smiley
Glauco

« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 19:32:03 pm »

didn't do as much as I hoped, but I got around to weld te trailing arms back together for a test fit. Also michiel (migier) took 7mm of my rear drums so that my nut goes on far enough to secure it.
In total I got almost 6cm of with of the rear, so now the Duelers 205/70's fit just fine..

Before

After
Glauco

« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2014, 09:03:18 am »

Apparently I always forget to update this page every now and then. So here is to get you up to speed.
The body is ready for paint, it's sanded to a good finish. Still isn't painted do, the paint shop that was going to lend his paint booth is still drowning in body work from the hail storm we had locally a couple of months ago so it looks like this is going to take a while. We'll probably make a instant paint booth in an extra room in the garage.
The suspension is ready, got koni adjustable shocks in front with the porshe brakes, stock drums on narrowed 944 trailing arms with 5"something axles. Stock shocks for now. Brake lines are mounted and as soon as the Volvo 240 brake fluid reservoir arrives I can start bleeding the brakes..
So again not as much of an update as I hoped, but we're getting there. Someday..
Glauco
wolfswest

« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2014, 19:30:55 pm »

Apparently I always forget to update this page every now and then. So here is to get you up to speed.
The body is ready for paint, it's sanded to a good finish. Still isn't painted do, the paint shop that was going to lend his paint booth is still drowning in body work from the hail storm we had locally a couple of months ago so it looks like this is going to take a while. We'll probably make a instant paint booth in an extra room in the garage.
The suspension is ready, got koni adjustable shocks in front with the porshe brakes, stock drums on narrowed 944 trailing arms with 5"something axles. Stock shocks for now. Brake lines are mounted and as soon as the Volvo 240 brake fluid reservoir arrives I can start bleeding the brakes..
So again not as much of an update as I hoped, but we're getting there. Someday..
Glauco

never loose the faith!  Cool

Glauco

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 12:27:06 pm »

Made a template for the trunk yesterday (actually my father did) so once I start on the upholstery I can put some fabric on them.
After work I'm picking up the Volvo brake fluid reservoir so hopefully I will have functioning brakes somewhere this weekend!
Test fitted the windows one last time so everything should be ready for paint Shocked

Glauco
jick

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2014, 15:30:50 pm »

Cal-look Ghia mathematics...

Great colour + no nostrils   = big thumbs up from Jick!

Peter

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2014, 15:42:04 pm »

I d love to see it finished dude!!
Glauco

« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2014, 21:49:58 pm »

I d love to see it finished dude!!
So do I! I've said this every winter for the last 7 years, but I hope to have it ready for next season:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: