The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:08:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  67 karmann ghia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: 67 karmann ghia  (Read 85637 times)
Glauco

« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2018, 20:01:19 pm »

OK, this must be one of the slowest progressing builds on here. but we're getting there!
This week the car passed the technical inspection so she is officially roadworthy!
couldn't be happier to finally take the Golf bumpers of and replace them with T-bars (just until I find some decent bumpers or get my bumpers chromed)
took the Dan gurneys of as well because I wasn't completely satisfied with the look after all.
The cookiecutters are going to be replaced with fuchs wheels because the offset of the wheels only allow for 165's in the rear without rubbing the fenders..
nonetheless I'm happy to finally being able to drive her!

Glauco
Glauco

« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2018, 16:25:37 pm »

The money shot! Grin still needs a lot of detailing, but going to drive her for a while first! Smiley

Glauco

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

brewsy

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2018, 09:06:04 am »

Great job.

As they say better late than never!!  Cheesy  Grin
Glauco

« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:43 am »

Great job.

As they say better late than never!!  Cheesy  Grin

thanks Cheesy
Glauco

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2018, 20:11:42 pm »

Installed the headliner today Cheesy

Glauco

Glauco

« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2018, 18:13:22 pm »

Dashpad installed.
Test fitted the 40 idf's, but ons side is off again because I broke a flange. Roll Eyes
Still happy with how the dual carbs change the looks of the engine..

Glauco

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Glauco

« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2018, 08:12:07 am »

couldn't wait any longer so I made the jump and bought some ssp fuchses.
they were oddly detailed so I stripped the paint completely and started polishing them.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Just need to clean up the polished area's again and they're good to go.

don't mind the chips in the black paint, they come from the tape..

glauco
wolfswest

« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2018, 18:58:38 pm »

looking forward to it!  Smiley

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Glauco

« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2018, 12:04:48 pm »

Did some interior detailing and finally got to install the fuchses. Slowly getting ready for summer!

Painted the seatrails and steering wheel and put some sound insulation under the floormats.

Glauco

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2018, 14:38:52 pm »

not sure if it's worth mentioning, but wanted to share my misery.
built me a shelve 3 years ago that actualy needed some strengthening witch I never got around to.
found out the hard way..

all in all not that much damage, but too much to make me happy...

glauco
alex d

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2018, 15:18:54 pm »

ouch! that sucks! it could have been worse though
Glauco

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2018, 22:28:31 pm »

Yeah, I know, but it still hurts... Smiley
I will try to get it fixed before the cars and coffee in my hometown tomorrow evening
wolfswest

« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2018, 08:37:28 am »

I will try to get it fixed before the cars and coffee in my hometown tomorrow evening

You always have the bikini chick option, although it's cloudy and not that warm.  But that's maybe a good thing for the extra visual effects...  Cheesy

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Glauco

« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:05 am »

You always have the bikini chick option, although it's cloudy and not that warm.  But that's maybe a good thing for the extra visual effects...  Cheesy
unless you'll be wearing a bikini tonight I doubt there will be any bikinigirls there Grin
but hey, in stekene you never know Wink
Glauco

« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2018, 23:21:23 pm »

Cars and coffee was a blast!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2018, 12:34:24 pm »

And who is the new owner of the *Jelle KG*?

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Glauco

« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2018, 14:05:04 pm »

And who is the new owner of the *Jelle KG*?
Dem (Wolfwest) is the new owner. Very happy that the car stayed in the club. It got a lot of detailing in the last few months, it truly is a sight to see now!
Glauco

« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2018, 19:27:46 pm »

Pulled the engine out last week to fix an oil leak in one of the oil plugs. And to install the new engine tin I had laying around for a while. More pictures on that later.

With the engine out I took the opportunity to fix the clearance issues I had with the narrowed Porsche trailing arms.
I wanted to make it easy on myself so I bought 2 left drive shafts of a type 3 auto box, which are 25mm shorter. So the arms needed to be narrowed 25mm as well..
Because I didn't know five years ago that it is way better to cut out the axle support and place it further in the arm then the way I did it.
I thought it would be easier to cut the pivot point in half and reweld it on the other side. It looked good at first, but the spring plate support kept hitting the shock tower, which resulted in a suspension that couldn't operate completely.
To fix this I used my high school brain (or what was left of it), calculated the numbers, cut the support of, lengthening it 16mm and rewelding it 30mm further on the arm so the support was back on it's old position.
I then had to address some more clearance issues at the pivot point, but now everything works like it should so I painted it black as well.
With the suspension out I also cut out the lid on the torsion bar support and cut some tread in the torsion bars to make it easiee to adjust the settings without having to loosen the whole support. Kind of what elephant racing is selling, but then 600euro cheaper..
I'll take some pictures when everything is mounted later this week..
Lastly I painted the wheel arches black, something I should have done long ago..
No I just need to go to jelle to blast my 944 calipers so they can be painted and the rear discs can be installed..

Glauco

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2019, 18:32:31 pm »

Ok, time for a little update.
After winter hibernation I pulled the car out of the garage to make the best of the first sun here in Belgium. Started the car, drove it for half an hour without any weird noises or what so ever and put it back in the garage after the drive. When I tried to do the same the next day the engine was seized. Absolutely nothing.
Started looking for answers.andbefore I knew it I had the engine fully dismantled en in pieces. A main bearing was waisted. Because  i didn't want to waste another summer with fear of getting somewhere I decided to take the engine to Nicolas and let him do his magic to the engine. He will delete my errors and hopefully give me an engine I can rely on..

With the engine out I made the best of the situation and started working on some details.

First thing was to polish the Porsche centercaps I had for quite a while now. Photo is taken before the final buff, but they came along pretty well..

After that I made a new mount for my licence plate and installed the new turn signals.
Before the summer of last year I've had a problem with my fuel line so I replaced it with an embraded teflon line with an fittings. Now it was time to make it somewhat better.
Starting with fuel pump, it made to much noise so I used a better mount and placed the pump in a bigger tube with insulation.  Mounted the strap on rubber to hopefully reduce the noise.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:48:35 am by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2019, 18:44:45 pm »

After I've gotten all the fittings in to make sure there was no chance anywhere to cut the line I made the best of the engine bay.
Fuel lines are mounted on the fire wall and installed a malpassi filter king witch doubles as pressure regulator.

Also converted my Clyde's buggies breather box to AN fittings and polished it a little.

Last but not least was the plan to install an external oil cooler.
I got a mocal sandwich plate that I read here somewhere that you needed to open up the oil feed to get all the restrictions out, so I did that before installing it.

After cleaning and with the fittings.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:56:51 am by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2019, 18:47:46 pm »

And finally installed everything above the gearbox.

Only thing left here is to mount the fan and figure out witch way it should turn...

That's it for now.  Smiley

Glauco
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:58:55 am by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2019, 20:16:08 pm »

Continued to install sound insulation today.
Got the doors and sides done and installed the door panels.
Haven't had time to upholster them yet, so painted them black for now. Maybe next winter...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:00:57 am by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2019, 20:28:19 pm »

Test fitted the Porsche 944 sway bar with the mounts I made for them.
Fits perfect, once I get better clamps I'll replace this ones. I used heim joints to accommodate the difference in width with the Porsche rear end.

hard to take pictures laying on your stomach under the car. will get some better pictures when she's on a lift someday..

Why a Porsche 944 sway bar you might ask? Because that's what I got. It came with the parts I used for the disc brake conversion, so it was cheap...

glauco
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:03:30 am by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2019, 11:04:05 am »

had a problem with my pictures coming up sideways on here, think I fixed it...

glauco
Glauco

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2020, 21:02:35 pm »

Had a whole list I wanted to get done this winter, but with a baby on it's way my girlfriend decided to give me a whole other list with things to do Roll Eyes.
Nevertheless, I got some things done this winter.
I converted a set of dropped spindles to accept the Porsche brakes with a set of custom spacers I made on the lathe.
I had a problem with my brakes after upgrading to the porsche rear discs that the pedal would get spongy after a while. Therefore I ordered the ate mc from Kerscher tuning especially for ac vw's with porsche 944 discs.
Because the connection for the rear are in the front of the mc and Visa versa I had to replace the brake lines as well. I decided to go all the way so I replaced the flexible lines with steel braided ones. But because we live in Belgium where you need to go to mot and that steel braided lines are prohibited I put some shrink wrap on them so you can't tell they're steel.
Only thing I need to do next is to shorten the connecting rod between the pedal and the mc and bleed the brakes.
Also replaced the red bump stop rubbers with stock ones.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 21:04:28 pm by Glauco » Logged
brewsy

« Reply #145 on: March 05, 2020, 21:29:10 pm »

I decided to go all the way so I replaced the flexible lines with steel braided ones. But because we live in Belgium where you need to go to mot and that steel braided lines are prohibited I put some shrink wrap on them so you can't tell they're steel.

That sounds crazy!!
Surely braided steel lines are safer??
Glauco

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2020, 21:52:57 pm »

I decided to go all the way so I replaced the flexible lines with steel braided ones. But because we live in Belgium where you need to go to mot and that steel braided lines are prohibited I put some shrink wrap on them so you can't tell they're steel.

That sounds crazy!!
Surely braided steel lines are safer??

Not in Belgium.  Huh
And I have a small feeling I'll he having troubles with the rear disc brakes. Belgium rules are crazy when it comes to modifying cars... I'm hoping they won't make a deal out of it because it's a pre 68 car...
henk

« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2020, 09:25:50 am »

Don’t let you scared of by al the stories you hear.
Few months ago i went with my ‘65 splitbus.
Engine with twin carbs,lowered all around,IRS on the back,porsche 944 on front..
Passed straight away.if the work you have done is OK and it is not to much in there face you will be ok.

Henk!!!
Glauco

« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2020, 09:42:15 am »

Don’t let you scared of by al the stories you hear.
Few months ago i went with my ‘65 splitbus.
Engine with twin carbs,lowered all around,IRS on the back,porsche 944 on front..
Passed straight away.if the work you have done is OK and it is not to much in there face you will be ok.

Henk!!!
Thank you for the confidence Henk.
Mine is also lowered, with IRS and Porsche discs in front. That doesn't get me worried, it's the porsche discs in the back that got me worried.. but we'll see. Everything on the suspension is done without to much fuss, so I hope they don't make a big deal out of it  ...

Glauco
samotorsport

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2020, 12:04:14 pm »

You happy guys 😂 here in Luxembourg you can t even drive a wheel which does not have German TÜV on it , not talking about brakes , beams etc .....
when you put double carbs on you have to dyno it to get it street legal and so on
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: