The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:30:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  67 karmann ghia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: 67 karmann ghia  (Read 85638 times)
Glauco

« Reply #150 on: April 16, 2020, 15:15:24 pm »

You happy guys 😂 here in Luxembourg you can t even drive a wheel which does not have German TÜV on it , not talking about brakes , beams etc .....
when you put double carbs on you have to dyno it to get it street legal and so on

ok, YOU WIN!  Cheesy that must suck... how do you get your cars on the road then..?
samotorsport

« Reply #151 on: April 16, 2020, 15:25:46 pm »

After you modify it , you have to make a full TüV checkup , meaning they check everything you modified , the papers for the parts you ve used and so on , if you put double carbs on for example , you have to put the car on a dyno , they check the numbers , see if the brakes are good enough for the power you do .
For example , discs in the front, drums in the back , max 100 hp .
When all this is done you get a copy of the report , this one you always have to carry with you for you technical control every year or two , and if you get pulled over by the police so you can prove everything is ok .
Alloy wheels without papers , beams without papers no chance to get it running like that
Glauco

« Reply #152 on: April 16, 2020, 15:41:05 pm »

OK, so corona gave me a little extra time to get some work done. Most of it in the house, but nevertheless, still some work on the karmann as well.

I never really liked the way the rear seat turned out so I decided to start with a new one. I really like the porshe style rear seats so I'm going to try to get something like that in a Karmann. I already made a new frame for the bottom where I can make separate seats in.
just need to score a battery with less height...
next will be the back. I also got some stock front seats that will get some extra cupping as well..

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I also made some changes to the dash:

fitted new warning lights that go better with the rest of the gauges and molded in a Porsche badge in the fiat horn button

last I had some spare time on the lathe so I made a wooden gear knob for the Hurst shifter, only to find out you can order them from flat4,  there goes 4 hours of doing nothing...   Roll Eyes

last I also fitted the karmann ghia logo to the dash and a correct push knob for the glove box, but because the glove box door originally was for a 70 kg with an other style knob I had to use a washer, so I made a washer that is also a empi style pull lever. Just needs some paint..

glauco
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 15:44:21 pm by Glauco » Logged
Glauco

« Reply #153 on: April 16, 2020, 15:46:10 pm »

After you modify it , you have to make a full TüV checkup , meaning they check everything you modified , the papers for the parts you ve used and so on , if you put double carbs on for example , you have to put the car on a dyno , they check the numbers , see if the brakes are good enough for the power you do .
For example , discs in the front, drums in the back , max 100 hp .
When all this is done you get a copy of the report , this one you always have to carry with you for you technical control every year or two , and if you get pulled over by the police so you can prove everything is ok .
Alloy wheels without papers , beams without papers no chance to get it running like that

Ok, that gives you more work, but in the end you can modify you car and still have it street legal... But nothing like in england I suppose  Grin
samotorsport

« Reply #154 on: April 16, 2020, 15:55:49 pm »

Yes they are all street legal and safe to drive , i guess i would get a MOT from here easier without ever showing up in the UK than doing all the paperwork here Wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glauco

« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2020, 10:58:53 am »

Made stone progress over the weekend.  Finished the frame for the backseat. First I was planning on making the backseat cup more, but seeing there is almost no place to sit I decided to make it a little more simple. If I have some time this week I might start with the upholstery..

Also took some time to clean up the wiring of the motor a little.  Used an old broomstick to make a wiring tube. Also wanted to have air filters, so I took some cheap chrome ones and painted them grey. Then I drilled 5 holes like the schenk filters. Also wanted to use the same gaze like the filters but I ended up not using them because it wasn't like I pictured it. Really like how they turned out. Wanted all the same bolts so I turned down some hexagonal bolts to Match the rest...
Also fitted a new cable guide with a wheel. Also with the same bolt.
Fitted a generator stand rather than a (baddly) altered dynamo stand and threw away the made in China alternator pulley and used a original one..
Last I learn a lot from this forum so to eliminate the problems with hot starting I made some erthalon spacers to put between the carb and the intakes...

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:08:09 am by Glauco » Logged
Eddie DVK

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2020, 07:39:32 am »

Did some interior detailing and finally got to install the fuchses. Slowly getting ready for summer!

Painted the seatrails and steering wheel and put some sound insulation under the floormats.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Glauco,

Do you have more picture on how you mounted the simca bucketseats and the frames you used?

Thanks in regards
Eddie

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Glauco

« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2020, 18:59:04 pm »

Did some interior detailing and finally got to install the fuchses. Slowly getting ready for summer!

Painted the seatrails and steering wheel and put some sound insulation under the floormats.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Glauco,

Do you have more picture on how you mounted the simca bucketseats and the frames you used?

Thanks in regards
Eddie

Hey Eddy,

I cut away the bottom of the simca seats and made my own mounts. I had to because my bottom flat flanges were bad enough.
I made a frame to mount them on peugeot 205 3-door frames wherefore I welded nuts in the floor pan for this frame. The Peugeot frames tilt, something that you have to have in Belgium if you have a rear seat but no rear doors...

I have some pictures of the seats out of the car. If you need other pictures, just ask Wink

Glauco
Eddie DVK

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2020, 09:39:35 am »

[
Hey Eddy,

I cut away the bottom of the simca seats and made my own mounts. I had to because my bottom flat flanges were bad enough.
I made a frame to mount them on peugeot 205 3-door frames wherefore I welded nuts in the floor pan for this frame. The Peugeot frames tilt, something that you have to have in Belgium if you have a rear seat but no rear doors...

I have some pictures of the seats out of the car. If you need other pictures, just ask Wink

Glauco

Good point about that tilting and rear seat, have to look into that for The Netherlands.
Thanks for the picture. Got some idea s now

Regards Eddie

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Glauco

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2020, 09:55:56 am »

[
Hey Eddy,

Glauco

Good point about that tilting and rear seat, have to look into that for The Netherlands.
Thanks for the picture. Got some idea s now

Regards Eddie

and if you don't want to cut up your bucket seats you can always buy mine Wink I'm thinking of switching back to stock seats...
Glauco

« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2020, 20:01:45 pm »

So last Thursday I drove the car for the first time this year - having a newly born and renovating a house takes up all the spare time - and I almost forgot how fun this car is to drive.
Ok, the time in the garage left some markets on the car. Both figuratively as literally.. the hurst shifter's reverse pull cable snapped so I had to drive the 50km back home only using 3rd and 4th. But that didn't spoil the fun I had now the car sits on dropped spindles so finally has some spring in the front.
I wasn't to happy with my first take on 944 calipers on dropped spindles so I gathered parts to do it again. While looking for some cheap spindles I also got the opportunity to buy some 944 turbo calipers witch should make it easier to adapt to dropped disc brake spindles than the NA calipers.
Girlfriend and daughter were away this evening so I took the opportunity to mill the spindles for the new calipers...

The drive

The milling

Next up is mocking everything up so I can make the correct size spacers..

Glauco
Glauco

« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2021, 19:40:22 pm »

Used the winter to finally start on my interior.
Doubted if I would go for stock seats or keep the simca rallye seats.
I decided to use the simca rallye seats, but make new cushions.
Very pleased with the outcome  Grin

Made the same cushion for the rear

Doorpanels:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Glauco

« Reply #162 on: February 01, 2021, 19:43:19 pm »

Some details:

Glovebox

Sunvisors:

Now I just need to replace the black carpet with the new brown and install everything..

Glauco
ibg

« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2021, 00:02:54 am »

good work, a kind of a hark back to the 70's and a bit modern at the same time. I really like the pocket on the sun visor  Grin
VWGlassee

« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2021, 08:03:55 am »

Whoa very cool! Well done  Cool

Yannick

Get In, Sit Down, Shut Up, & Hold On
Glauco

« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2021, 16:42:11 pm »

good work, a kind of a hark back to the 70's and a bit modern at the same time. I really like the pocket on the sun visor  Grin

Thanks, I like that little detail as well. I was looking for a bit of 70s without copying anything. Pretty happy with the outcome  Grin
Glauco

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2021, 16:42:38 pm »

Whoa very cool! Well done  Cool

Yannick

Thank you!
Glauco

« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2021, 15:00:00 pm »

Finally got around doing some interior work
Rear seat in its final form
Front seats installed
Panels and glovebox door with empi pull.
Inside the glovebox. Note the book for papers. Wasn't happy about the colour of the wood for the window crank, so I tried to get it as close as possible to the rosewood shift knob.
Glauco

« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2021, 15:01:54 pm »

Closer look at the glovebox interior
wolfswest

« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2021, 08:24:25 am »

Good progress! 

2022 is gonna be our...  Grin Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Glauco

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2021, 08:48:45 am »

Good progress! 

2022 is gonna be our...  Grin Grin

let's hope  Grin
Joe Hullett

« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2021, 14:22:28 pm »

Great work Glauco.  Your KG is so nice.  I wish I had your body work skills.

The older I get...  The faster I was...  No Fear
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: