The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:36:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Combination Oil filter/pumps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Combination Oil filter/pumps  (Read 7484 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: January 05, 2011, 03:09:19 am »

Are filter/pumps really as bad as I've heard they are? I'm rebuilding my engine and spending far too much money on it. Reliability, longevity and period correctness are my primary concerns. Due to my inherent stubbornness, that leaves me stuck with the EMPI filter/pump, or no filter at all. What makes them so bad? Can they be improved? The part that bothers me most is the huge 32mm gears, my oil pressure would be off the charts, would it not? Is it possible to use it with a smaller 26mm pump? Thanks!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 03:17:47 am »

Are filter/pumps really as bad as I've heard they are? I'm rebuilding my engine and spending far too much money on it. Reliability, longevity and period correctness are my primary concerns. Due to my inherent stubbornness, that leaves me stuck with the EMPI filter/pump, or no filter at all. What makes them so bad? Can they be improved? The part that bothers me most is the huge 32mm gears, my oil pressure would be off the charts, would it not? Is it possible to use it with a smaller 26mm pump? Thanks!
Put that Empi Pump/Filter in a Display Case and tap the case for full flow use a Blueprinted Berg 26mm Pump and Cover Problem Solved

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 03:22:16 am »

It's already tapped if I choose to go that route. But I'd rather not. Berg < EMPI  Wink

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:27:02 am »

It's already tapped if I choose to go that route. But I'd rather not. Berg < EMPI  Wink
Berg=Best < EMPI=Ok!!   more for looks then good filtering  Wink plus with the oil filter mounted sideways it drains back in to the case so on starting it has to fill the filter before your bearings get any oil

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 03:29:57 am »

Berg=Best < EMPI=Ok!!   more for looks then good filtering  Wink plus with the oil filter mounted sideways it drains back in to the case so on starting it has to fill the filter before your bearings get any oil

X2

VW Classic 2012
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:21:46 am »

period correctness are my primary concerns  Berg Was Selling the same pumps and covers when your car was Built New

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim M

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 05:37:10 am »

I have built an engine using the old empi filter pump. They work fine. Oil pressure was good.Kobus now owns the car/engine, i believe it is still in service.I'm currently running a rajay filter pump with no problems....Jim
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 19:24:46 pm by Jim M » Logged

Porters Precision
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 17:48:18 pm »

period correctness are my primary concerns  Berg Was Selling the same pumps and covers when your car was Built New

So that means any part built when my car was new is good for it? I think not. Maybe period correct isn't specific enough. If it was anything else than a GTV I wouldn't hesitate to use a Berg cover (hell, I've got one or two on my shelf), but it is a GTV so I feel obligated to give it the parts that EMPI would have deemed fit for it. Once again, the car owns me rather than the other way 'round Roll Eyes

alex d

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 18:22:47 pm »

being that specific car I would run the EMPI filter pump with no hesitation, as long as the pump is in good shape that is!

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 23:55:52 pm »

I have one on my GTV motor.
Also at one time Empi made high volume oil pumps by modifying Automatic Stickshift pumps.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 00:00:13 am »

Also at one time Empi made high volume oil pumps by modifying Automatic Stickshift pumps.

That was also an option I thought of, I have an auto-stick pump in stock.

How is an auto-stick pump modified for a full flow? I asked on here a while ago but got no answers Roll Eyes

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

So that means any part built when my car was new is good for it? I think not. Maybe period correct isn't specific enough. If it was anything else than a GTV I wouldn't hesitate to use a Berg cover (hell, I've got one or two on my shelf), but it is a GTV so I feel obligated to give it the parts that EMPI would have deemed fit for it. Once again, the car owns me rather than the other way 'round Roll Eyes
LOL Here you Go Zach use a Berg Pump And A E**I full flow Cover and Now the GTV is All EMPI   LMFAO

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 03:11:28 am »

So Gary,
This is your version of "Old School Is The Only School" ?
Shame on you !
 Roll Eyes
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 03:21:03 am »

Zach,

Run the Empi pump. You'll be fine.  I had one on the early years and blew a few oil seals out of it on cold Sacramento mornings when it froze overnight.  See Steve Hollingsworth about a mod he does on the front of the case for this issue. I would not be afraid of running the pump. I still have an old one too and would run it if building a nostalgia motor.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 16:02:55 pm »

i've run an empi oil filters/pumps on my speedwell/empi engine and never have any problem with this one , it's the one with the 32mm pignons

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 22:25:42 pm »

Wow, if Rick says it's ok to use vintage parts, it must be OK! Wink

I'll have a talk with Steve to see what we can do. He wasn't very hip with the idea last time I mentioned it Roll Eyes

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 22:38:16 pm »

monkiboy has run a 32mm oil pump for years now. though it is full flowed and running an additional cooler.
do what makes sense. i'd say it'll be fine, not optimal, but sufficient at the least.  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 23:41:49 pm »

So Gary,
This is your version of "Old School Is The Only School" ?
Shame on you !
 Roll Eyes
LOL Richard Sorry I Used a Page from your Favorite Catalog LMAO!  I would Not Use Any New Empi Crap as Far As The Old I Have A NOS Oil Pump/Filter  But It will never go On one of My Motors its in a Display Case Where it Belongs I Would only use a Berg BluePrinted Pump 26mm after all you don't need alot of Oil Pressure.  Volume is what you want

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 23:47:14 pm »

It's restriction to flow that creates pressure, if one makes sure the bleed valve near the flywheel flow enough you won't have any problems with a huge pump.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 05:17:53 am »

JHU,

You nailed what we've been doing on our cases.  The front oil piston area is where we relieve and enlarge the dump hole so it does not allow pressure to over build. My cases so far have run consistently well with this mod. We also spot face the base where both pistons meet the case material so they seat better and don't bleed off pressure when you need it.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: