The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 16:47:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Cheap 1600 turbo (Estonia)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cheap 1600 turbo (Estonia)  (Read 2989 times)
jeff01

« on: January 23, 2011, 13:05:54 pm »

Hi everybody.
I bougth this car few years ago. Itīs my first aircooled car. It was without an engine and hasnīt run for almoust 10 years

Then I started working with floor. I cleaned it up and it was full of holes. I cutted it out and replaced it with a sheet metal.

Then I bought this engine:

...and started tuning it:

I got it running. With 0,4bar it moved a little....it was my first running with beetle and it was fun. Then i installed manual boost controller and noticed that this turbo will not boost more than 1 bar. With 1bar of boost it killed my clutch quickly and I took the engine off with all turbo stuff....When the engine was tooken off I cutted the ass off and made some sandblasting and painting. Installed little cooler  and put that together again.

I got it running but first gear was missing  Huh I started with second with some wheelspin and it made 14,9 with 155 top speed with 1bar of boost. I wanted to run faster but the turbo was busted and didnīt boost more than 14 PSI with closed wastegate. I repaired the gearbox and installed another turbo (last one came from 2,0 saab engine and new one came from bmw 324) I tested near my workshop in town and it moved deam good with first 2 gears....I just couldnīt hold back and tried it every day....about 25km totally with first 2 gears because itīs not street legal and i could drive only around my workshop.
 On the next eavent I went to track and  it moved as good as last 25km  but at the end of second gear it boosed a-lot more than I wanted....about more than 2 bar. I changed it to third gear and boost went ower 2,5 bar. it couldnīt ignite and it didnīt move at all.....I let the gas down and it moved a little because boost came down but with 4th gear boost went up again and it didnīt move. top speed was only 150km (less than with 14PSI boost and without 1st gear)  but time was 13,9  Grin
 I took the engine off and 2 pistons were busted
 I wanted to build 1914 for next year but I think that I could be at least a second faster with my 1600 than this year and I have to get to 12s before building a new engine Smiley  So I will put that back together with used parts again and try to be faster next year.

Boost went up because I didnīt turn back the manual boost controller with new turbo and I didnīt made a testrun. With high boost it was lean because of my ecu. It has only 250kpa map sensor. intake temp was deam hot too ~68C

For next year Iīm going to cut off some ugly stuff....like tail wing and a scoop on a hood. Maybe Iīll paint it over. Iīll build another stock engine and start pushing the boost up not start with closed wastegate  like last year. I need some brakes too. Last year I had 4 drum brakes and I couldnīt warm up my old tyres. I need some shock absorbers too...it starts hopping when I start. Iīm going to install lights and some wires for them. I think I have to modify my megasquirt too. launch and flatshift would be good.  I have to remove edis then.  (A-lot to do in next 3-4 months. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 14:15:59 pm by jeff01 » Logged
jeff01

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 14:10:11 pm »

For next year:
I 8 doweled the flywheel and stock crank. Crank is mashined for new bearings. I cleaned up the case and ordered some parts like bearings and gaskets + Stronger flywheel nut. I bought 1 set of used 85,5 pistons. Now I need 0,5mm to crank  and 0,5mm to case main bearings?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 15:47:48 pm by jeff01 » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 14:18:49 pm »

did you buy that car off CedorUSA?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
jeff01

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 14:27:33 pm »

did you buy that car off CedorUSA?
No it has been here in estonia almoust all of its life Smiley
~10 years ago somebody welded and painted it but didnīt put totally together. My friend bought this car ~4years ago and took the engine off end sold it because he wanted to install bike engine. When I got it, there was water on the floor and it was totally rusted without interior and engine. I bougt this car for 1000 euros because it looked good starting point for me.
Jesse Wens

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 14:28:11 pm »

Nice of you to share your experiences. Looks like a lot of fun. I hope you can control your next engine a bit better and enjoy it for a longer time.

jesse

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: