The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 14:31:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  any mountain bikers on here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: any mountain bikers on here?  (Read 6311 times)
streetvw

« on: January 21, 2011, 11:23:26 am »

guys

Does anyone know anything about the German bike company Canyon? I'm thinking of getting one of their Nerve XC6 MTB's see link

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2073

but I am finding it difficult to get any impartial info about them as they are pretty much unknown in the UK?

cheers
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:25:45 am by streetvw » Logged
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 12:22:51 pm »

It`s been a while since I was doing mountain and downhill biking but I will give it a go anyway:

The most important thing is to first sum up what you`re going to use bike for. The bike in the link is a full suspension bike with lots of rear travel, do you actually want/need that? It kills your momentum, destroys your flow and makes for a lot heavier bike than a rigid one. If you prefer downhill action and technical trails then a bike like that would be ok.

After you have found out what you need based on your ride style I would then advise you to focus on bikes with a really nice frame. And test different frames to find out what material you prefer before you buy one. A alu frame has a "softer" feel compared to a steel frame. A titanium frame is fragile but very crisp etc etc. They all transfer your energy differently and responds differently. When you have found your frame then make sure you talk to someone who knows their stuff to size/adjust your bike to you. All the extra bits and bobs is easy to change later on but unfortunately far to many buy their bike just by looking at the XTR label and the weight.

My own go everywhere bike is based on a True Temper steel frame. It is 19" and complete with pedals, front suspension and seat it weigh in at 8.9 kg. If I want a lighter bike with better respons I swap the front suspension to a rigid fork. For downhill I used Trek bikes but as I got older I found out that I was actually quite found of living so I took to my sences.

Hope this helps.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
streetvw

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »

thanks for the reply BeetleBug

I currently ride a hard tail Giant XTC 4.5 which is great for some of the stuff that I ride but I'm been drawn toward more technical trails and feel that with my limited ability that a fs bike would make this type of riding more enjoyable. I'm not looking at doing any massive downhill rides or win any races but want a good all round trail bike that will help me get through some of the rougher stuff I'm struggling with on my current bike!   
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 12:59:14 pm »

I have a Canyon bike myself and I'm very happy about it, good quality/price.
Also delivered at my door in the time they promised, just put my wheels in and it was ready to go.

Greets,
Jelle

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Bendik

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 20:58:07 pm »

The bike in the link is a full suspension bike with lots of rear travel, do you actually want/need that? It kills your momentum, destroys your flow and makes for a lot heavier bike than a rigid one. If you prefer downhill action and technical trails then a bike like that would be ok.

As a guy thats been working in a bike shop for 12+ years this advice was kinda old fashoned Wink Lots have happened with full suss bikes and I will use one for my 24 hr gravel race this year instead of the HT I used before.
But as BB said; get the right bike for the right use. Canyons are value for money, but there are better handlingbikes out there. Also check reputation in Your country for solving warranties. It has been needed before and service varies from country to country.

Chris W

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 21:42:45 pm »

Looks to me like a cheap Taiwan/China frame with some decent parts hung off of it. Similar to a Kona/modified FSR rear end.

Internally routed cables on a MTB bike is a no no in my book. They can me a total pain to replace unless you are used to doing them.

Like Bendik said there are lots of options out there that if set up right ride better. My advise is buy local if you can that way when you need service, bearings, derilleur hangers you are not waiting on the mail. Also test ride the bikes, ask your local shop if they have demos to try.
JLH

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 21:54:56 pm »

As every one else over, it depends very much on your driving style, and how ''off road'' the trails are. But as I seem to understand, you are going for some more technical trails, that are easyer to enjoy with a soft tail. It can be really hard to go down trails with lots of jumps, bumbs and drops with an Hard tail. When it comes to Canyon, I have never heard of it, so I can't help you there. But good luck with your driving and choose of bike.  Smiley

T1 1965 Cal Look 2110 Turbo
T1 1954 Oval
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 22:07:05 pm »

I've been cruzin around on a friends JAD 24" hardtail trails bike for the last year or so, it weights almost NOTHING Shocked Its a real blast round town  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
streetvw

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 18:25:59 pm »

Looks to me like a cheap Taiwan/China frame with some decent parts hung off of it. Similar to a Kona/modified FSR rear end.

what makes you say that?
Internally routed cables on a MTB bike is a no no in my book. They can me a total pain to replace unless you are used to doing them.

why?
Like Bendik said there are lots of options out there that if set up right ride better. My advise is buy local if you can that way when you need service, bearings, derilleur hangers you are not waiting on the mail. Also test ride the bikes, ask your local shop if they have demos to try.

I know there are benifits with buying a bike from a LBS but their prices can't touch Canyon! but there is no reason why I can't pay them to repair/service the bike as and when required and I have used them to do work on my current bike Canyon now have a UK service support center so getting parts specific to the bike shouldn't be a problem
Arnoud

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 18:43:33 pm »

I have Canyon Grand Canyon since 12 Years .After 4 years/app13000Km(yes,yes I was active then Grin)the frame broke in the bracket area-brought the bike to them and they rebuilt it with a new frame and sent it back-no expenses!
The frames are designed by the same guy that does the Rotwild and Bergwerk brands-they are probably made in Taiwan-as are 90% of all MTB's around.
Chris W

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 19:16:04 pm »

what makes you say that?

why?

I know there are benifits with buying a bike from a LBS but their prices can't touch Canyon! but there is no reason why I can't pay them to repair/service the bike as and when required and I have used them to do work on my current bike Canyon now have a UK service support center so getting parts specific to the bike shouldn't be a problem

Keep in mind I live in the US and am only going off what I know to be true here, but we have very similar companies.

There are lots of designs out there for suspension, I am pretty sure that would not be sold in the US as it's close to some of the stuff Kona uses and also Specialized. We see lots of bikes that are Europe only now because the can get around the patents here. Not saying it's a bad, I have never ridden it. I will say I have ridden almost everything offered in the US and there are some that are miles ahead of others. Some flat out just don't work well.

Internal cables have no guide through the frame, so if it comes all the way out your going to be working for a bit to fish it back in. A regular mtb shifter cable can be changed in 1-2min. A internal cable takes about 15min, they are just more work to service. You also can not lube them like regular cables, which I tend to every 1-2 rides. There is zero benefit to using them except they look cooler.

There are many reasons why they can't touch the price. It's either the companies spend money on the frame, the parts or both. Most mail order companies spend it on the parts where as brands your LBS carries will be a better package. Also I bet they offer service with a new bike and with someone to help you get the right size/fit and help you will set up is worth it right there.

Most stuff is made overseas now, but there are still big differences in who is doing the QC on them. I see this everyday.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 19:23:09 pm by Chris W » Logged
Addie/DVK

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 21:10:42 pm »

I'm riding a Cube for a couple of years now, very good price/quality deal
max2919

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 22:14:12 pm »

I ride a EPX Terrashark and a EPX Speedster.
The Speedster is getting a road friendly treatment for next summer.
http://www.epxbikes.com/OwnersForum/tabid/121/aft/303/Default.aspx

VW 57 Ghia RLR 2919cc TURBO!
Porsche 356A Coupe replika.
Bendik

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 20:28:56 pm »

Ona advice; If looking for a trail bike do NOT get hung up on drivetrain etc. Look at the quality of the suspension parts and system as well as the geometry and decide wether this suits Your style. A test ride is a good advice as different bikes with same travel can feel way different. I've had a 4X bike with 100mm travel that I could ride far more agressively than some of the 120-140 bikes out there.
I am biased when it comes to brands, but whatever You do the most important thing is that You are happy with Your choice down the line so we can see You at the trails. Smiles per miles..
streetvw

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:59 am »

well today my new bike arrived Smiley in the end I trusted my gut instinct and bought a Canyon Nerve XC7 and to say I'm happy with my choice would be the under-statement of the year here are a few shots

what greeted me when I got up this afternoon (night shift this week  Sad )

outta the box

just waiting for my pedals to arrive Roll Eyes so I can set the suspension up and take her for a ride  Grin Grin

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 20:40:50 pm »

nice one

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: