The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:41:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  New Book
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New Book  (Read 6207 times)
fast68

« on: January 22, 2011, 00:02:32 am »

Any body ordered one of these

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781906133214/How-to-Build-a-Hot-VW-Engine

Should be good.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 00:09:12 am »

I dunno if I can trust the author!  Grin Grin

Just Kidding Keith!!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
deano

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 00:14:38 am »

Here's another one. This particular book has not been started yet....

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Drag-Racing-Photo-Archive/dp/1583882944/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295651613&sr=1-10

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 01:06:06 am »

OK, that one definitely peaked my interest!   Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:45 am »

Order placed ... !

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:07:06 am »

As I have said before in various earlier threads, DO NOT ORDER THIS! The book is NOT happening for reasons I won't go into yet again… (Just use the search facility) Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »

when this one will be started Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
deano

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 15:59:19 pm »

This author, Lou Hart has done a few books on older gassers and early drag racing, and shown some interest in VW gassers of the past. So, he has been asking around, and visited the Schley Brothers house and got all excited. He is moving ahead on this project, and that is about all I know at this time....

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 17:48:10 pm »

This author, Lou Hart has done a few books on older gassers and early drag racing, and shown some interest in VW gassers of the past. So, he has been asking around, and visited the Schley Brothers house and got all excited. He is moving ahead on this project, and that is about all I know at this time....

That sounds good.

And Keith I hope you will find a way to have this done one day. Smiley

deano

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 18:13:04 pm »

The main problem I see with doing a gasser book, it that you have to PAY someone to use their old photos, and I am not sure if Lou Hart is willing to do that... Ace photographers like Steve Reyes, Jere Alhadeff, and others (me) do not give their photos away to book publishers..

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 18:48:59 pm »

Deano, you hit the nail on the head regarding book publishing in general. I had considered doing a book on every gasser that ran in NHRA and know where there are some huge untapped resources of photos BUT one former race photographer I was in touch with quoted me per image, the total adding up to $3500 for what would have amounted to maybe one chapter at best. When I asked about a 'group' rate, I was told 'Sorry…'. Multiply that by 10 and... well, the math(s) just don't add up. It's a real shame that so much of this work may end up being trashed one day, unpublished, unseen.

I do have an idea but need to look into the logistics first. Now, if only Jere had time to do a book…

I lost money on both Cal Look books – they end up being a labo(u)r of love for nothing in return. The only people who make money out of books are Amazon and the like. That's one reason I hate seeing new books discounted – it's the author and the publisher who are squeezed, but Amazon don't care as long as they can buy at the lowest possible price.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
deano

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 19:02:51 pm »

Deano, you hit the nail on the head regarding book publishing in general. I had considered doing a book on every gasser that ran in NHRA and know where there are some huge untapped resources of photos BUT one former race photographer I was in touch with quoted me per image, the total adding up to $3500 for what would have amounted to maybe one chapter at best. When I asked about a 'group' rate, I was told 'Sorry…'. Multiply that by 10 and... well, the math(s) just don't add up. It's a real shame that so much of this work may end up being trashed one day, unpublished, unseen.

I do have an idea but need to look into the logistics first. Now, if only Jere had time to do a book…

I lost money on both Cal Look books – they end up being a labo(u)r of love for nothing in return. The only people who make money out of books are Amazon and the like. That's one reason I hate seeing new books discounted – it's the author and the publisher who are squeezed, but Amazon don't care as long as they can buy at the lowest possible price.

Yes, and even before the book is even written, they are discounted? What's that all about?

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 19:52:46 pm »

I lost money on both Cal Look books – they end up being a labo(u)r of love for nothing in return.

I feel bad hearing this, but we love you for it Uncle Keith. Sorry our admiration does not help pay bills.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: