The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 14:52:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351100 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The (newer) Flat4 6X15 Fuch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The (newer) Flat4 6X15 Fuch  (Read 5471 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: January 25, 2011, 01:57:45 am »

Has anybody bought the newer Flat4 6' Deep Fuch's?? And how was the fit and the look, especially on a late bug (68'-69') I've seen the Flat4 5 1/2" on Dustins 69' and Scotts Ghia, they look great, but now Flat4 has the 6". Looking to get a set for my 69', 5 1/2 or 6 for rear, 4 1/2 for the front. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
NAO

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:01:43 am »

Hi, I think I know about this Grin

Re: 6inch wheel
If you mount it directly to the drum, center hub and axle shaft nut will stick out from the wheel. You need to use spacer to clear for center cap.

If you are running with wheel adapter, then you do not have any problem.

Nao
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:03:54 am by NAO » Logged
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 15:30:23 pm »

Apologies ahead of time, since this really isn't going to be much help for you.

But I'd be keeping the real-deal 6's you have before buying copies. They're lighter, stronger, and look just fine, especially on a clean late car like yours.

Sorry for the useless opinion, but I figured I'd throw it out there anyhow.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 16:29:59 pm »

I was thinking the same thing.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 16:52:23 pm »

Java took the words right out of my mouth. If you want to change it up with a staggered look, get some 7's for the rear.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 17:14:30 pm »

Ted I agree with these guys.  I figure you may of already sold the 6's since your looking for something else right now plus they were so dang nice I don't see how they could sit for sale for long.  If you still have them I'd consider keeping them, your car looks really great with them.

As far as info on the empi ones I'm completely useless.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bruce

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 17:33:37 pm »

Ted, my local wheel shop charged $150 to chop a late 6 down to 4½" a few years ago.
T.Fabs

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 17:46:11 pm »

We have some in stock done by Al Reed!!  Grin
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Proud Member of the Der Kleiner Panzers.
javabug

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 18:02:15 pm »

get some 7's for the rear.

Oh no, I think Zach's onto something.  Shocked  That might be a cool move!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dan Mazur

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 20:07:04 pm »

He's looking to change his narrowed beam for a stocker with disk brakes.

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 20:24:52 pm »

Hi ted, Check out the front of rick sadler's yellow 67. He had some late 6s cut and rewelded, To me they turned out better than the stock 4-1/2s . The spokes set back and are not sticking outside wheel lip.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:54:00 am »

He's looking to change his narrowed beam for a stocker with disk brakes.

I second this move! Looking forward to seeing your car with a stock beam, Ted. Worm stepped his up to a stock one... looks/handles so much better!

Also, I remember when Sadler's wheels were done... VERY cool option for a nice front wheel size. Looks better than the 4½" alloys, methinks.

I will never understand the concept of narrowing the front beam on a VW.

Huh

Winnebago Look is the new Cal Look... film at eleven.

But... to each their own.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:55:37 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 07:40:34 am »

Thanks guys for your input. But I'm looking to put back in a stock width beam with adjusters which I already have, then with the 2 1/2" drop spindle will bring it out a little more. On Dan's Vert, his setup is perfect with even the 4 1/2's out front. I know the ride will be even better with a stock beam and drop spindles, BUT, I my even keep my REAL alloy's and just put them away for now. Big thinking about that one, after talking to Dan tonight, may put them on the Porsche sites, will see. But Dans car just looks awesome with his setup after Al Reed did his magic on them. Mark, you really got to see his car now, and see what ya think.

Mark, the only problem with narrowing the wheel's is the placement on the outside will not be affected, and with Late6's and CB drop spindles will be pretty close to the edge. I want some clearance there. I think with the 4 1/2's will be just right, will still be running 145's.

Before, the 2" narrow beam had a purpose, to get the Late6's in a little, but no way gettem way in, don't like that new look. Looking for thee old school look   ;)with a little new. (drop spindles). Grin  Running the anything more 3-4" or maybe more is not for me, unless there is a purpose, to make up for offset's and so fourth. Hope I don't piss of anybody, but that is how I like my cars.

But anymore input would greatly be appreciated.  Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 10:13:03 am »

Mark, you really got to see his car now, and see what ya think.

Mark, the only problem with narrowing the wheel's is the placement on the outside will not be affected, and with Late6's and CB drop spindles will be pretty close to the edge. I want some clearance there. I think with the 4 1/2's will be just right, will still be running 145's.

Saw Dan's car when he got the wheels done. Turned out great! As for the narrowed wheels... I just think it's a great way to get a nice width (5") and getting rid of that look of the spokes sticking out past the outer lip, like the 4½" alloys. One day, when I get my own alloys... I hope to go that route.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:13:07 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 14:20:02 pm »

Hey Ted a little food for thought..  I don't know if you've got spindles already but I think Kustom 1 has dropped spindles that are supposed to be zero offset. Give Stewart a call.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:08 am »

Hey Ted a little food for thought..  I don't know if you've got spindles already but I think Kustom 1 has dropped spindles that are supposed to be zero offset. Give Stewart a call.

WIN! That's awesome, Jason. Bob and I were looking at his newly built beam, the other night, and actually considering making that very same product. It HAS to be done. Thanks, that gives me hope... I'm guessing they're available with disc caliper mounts, yes?

~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:26 am »

Yes I do, CB 2 1/2 Drop, but I think they have an offset, wonder if Stews is a one piece forged or welded up one like the old J-Tech ones. Gotta give Stewart a call. Thanks Jason for the heads up. He may have a couple of customers for sure.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
javabug

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:30 am »

I'm with ya on the beam thing, I really don't dig the 3" with the 5.5"s on my car.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Bryan67

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 04:53:23 am »

I`m pretty sure that if you compare the CB spindles, 2" beam and late 6`s you have now the width of the setup you want ther will be little to no difference.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: