The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 07, 2024, 12:31:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351028 Posts in 28634 Topics by 6844 Members
Latest Member: Dom Smith
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Detailing magnesium gas burners
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Detailing magnesium gas burners  (Read 4964 times)
thejohn66

« on: February 06, 2011, 02:23:37 am »

After a bit of advise about painting magnesium gas burners. I was going to etch prime them followed by 2k primer and 2-pack black but I am now considering painting them in base and clear after a little research the rim and spokes are highly polished however so I think I will have problems getting the laquer to take properly. Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks Alex

Bitburg motor boating club member.
fredy66

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 12:24:00 pm »

don't paint the polished part. i think  Roll Eyes

arabia slugs
nlvtinman

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 15:55:32 pm »

Self etching primer is a good base, but you could bipass that and use an epoxy sealer instead. The stuff adheres great, and you can apply colorcoats on top of it.
Unless filling surface damage, I don't think you need to prime. A 2-K primer will add unwanted mil thickness (and needs be sanded before painting-thus MORE work)
I am a auto restorer by trade, so I wouldn't suggest this unless I know the method will work.
K-Roc

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 18:08:49 pm »

Yes that is correct any clear coat over the polished bare Magneseum will bubble and blister eventually.

The problem is when the bare mag gets wet if you don't dry it right a way you will have spots and the corrosion will start almost instantly. I use a Super penetrant the I wipe on the polished surfaces to protect, especially when in storage for our 9 month winters.....

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 19:42:45 pm »

Something to think about, If your not useing your magnesium wheels, Store in plastic bag of some sort and vacuum out air to store. Showed bill schwimmer that 20 years ago and he still does it. I like DTM primer from valspar sticks great and can be thinned and use as sealer. If you can find some kind of primer with high zink content that would help with adhesion.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Straight Time

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 20:17:22 pm »

I believe porsche used a green type of undercoat that also sealed the magnesium and acted as a primer. Ihave been trying to restore mine and gently sanding them to leave this green coat on. I think someone advised on here before what this primer was, possibly Danny ? Can this still be purchased and what is it ? Anyone know.  Thanks

No retreat, No surrender !
thejohn66

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 21:47:30 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I have already used an etch primer on them which has adhered fine and used stopper on the casting marks, however I have read that the mag pulls in moisture so they will corrode unless sealed (polished bits). I think that I am going to continue with the original plan and re-etch them now that the casting marks are filled and paint them, then polish the rims and spokes and use a sealer on the polished bits because I don't want laquer on the edges because as mentioned it will only be a matter of time before it begins to lift. Any recommendations for a sealing product on the polished areas?

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 22:26:56 pm »

That would probably be some type of zink cromate , You can get it at places that sell stuff for refinishing or painting airplanes. Spruce aircraft in corona CA. I think might have it still.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 22:33:43 pm »

Something else, Well with alum. A coating of alodine, It leaves a film of iron for primer to adhere to.

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 22:34:23 pm »

I believe porsche used a green type of undercoat that also sealed the magnesium and acted as a primer. Ihave been trying to restore mine and gently sanding them to leave this green coat on. I think someone advised on here before what this primer was, possibly Danny ? Can this still be purchased and what is it ? Anyone know.  Thanks

Funny ... Ducati used a green paint/primer to seal their Corse (Race) magnesium parts back in the mid to late 90s; valve & cam covers, etc. Others that were visible were cleared to protect.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 16:55:21 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
GASBNR

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 23:46:47 pm »

Thanks for the replies, I have already used an etch primer on them which has adhered fine and used stopper on the casting marks, however I have read that the mag pulls in moisture so they will corrode unless sealed (polished bits). I think that I am going to continue with the original plan and re-etch them now that the casting marks are filled and paint them, then polish the rims and spokes and use a sealer on the polished bits because I don't want laquer on the edges because as mentioned it will only be a matter of time before it begins to lift. Any recommendations for a sealing product on the polished areas?

I had mine blasted and painted not sure what they used. But the primer on mine was blue and I masked them up for painting with the thin blue scotch 3m tape used for putting flames on cars. Took hours many hours. 
Just off topic I wrap mine in plastic cling/glad wrap when I put them to sleep.  Grin
Then autosol them when I bring them out. Seems to work. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:16:33 am by GASBNR » Logged

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
Bruce

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:36:19 am »

I believe porsche used a green type of undercoat that also sealed the magnesium and acted as a primer.
Many years ago when I worked for a small manufacturing co, we used to prime the aluminum castings with a strange blue/green primer.  It was supposed to be a primer specially made for aluminum.  My assumption is the same primer would be good for Mg.
thejohn66

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 04:58:58 am »

I think i'm okay with the primer, I primed them ages ago after having them media blasted and then polished the rims and spokes, but what I really need to know is if I leave the rims and spokes polished without any coating is there a wax or product anyone has had experience with which will slow down the tarnishing?

fredy66

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:30 am »

do not paint the polished part
and you need lots of this

arabia slugs
fredy66

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:28:01 am »

this works for me but i don't have gas burners
http://www.autosol.com/

arabia slugs
Bruce

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:34:12 am »

..... is there a wax or product anyone has had experience with which will slow down the tarnishing?
Darrell Baker told me that Meguiar's metal polish had an ingredient that would do that.  I think the only way is to polish a wheel, then polish sections with all the different compounds.  Then let it sit and see which one stands up better.
henk

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 20:19:42 pm »

Funny ... Ducati used a green paint/primer to seal their Corse (Race) magnesium parts back in the mid to late 90s; valve & cam covers, etc. Others that were visible were cleared to protect.

nice parts you have there,yours?
yes ducati used green paint first later it was a sand color.
that green paint(zincromate) is also used on aircraft.

henk!!!
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 20:34:01 pm »

Zinc chromate ... That's the stuff!

Roll Eyes Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: