The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 21:24:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  bolt-on sand seal install how to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: bolt-on sand seal install how to?  (Read 9882 times)
bugnut68

« on: February 14, 2011, 20:30:49 pm »

I've got a spare degree pulley with sand seal (bolt-on) sitting in my garage... how do you install the sand seal, do you just place it in there and bolt the pulley on or do you use some sort of sealant with it?  Just curious, never used one before, and it's practically brand new. 
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 21:17:35 pm »

I've got a spare degree pulley with sand seal (bolt-on) sitting in my garage... how do you install the sand seal, do you just place it in there and bolt the pulley on or do you use some sort of sealant with it?  Just curious, never used one before, and it's practically brand new. 

Personally, I've never liked sand seals.
I've used and installed plenty over the years but never by choice.
Oh wait.. did you ask my opinion? Grin

bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 21:27:53 pm »

Well, it's like this...lol.  I've never used one before, but I happen to have it sitting in my garage.  I'm currently awaiting an exchange on the billet CB Performance pulley I bought that didn't fit my crank (a cursory measurement indicated it was about .002" smaller on the OD than another pulley I have that DID fit), was looking at the sand seal pulley and wondered how installation was done.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 22:27:20 pm »

OK, I get it.
If you have to use it (please reconsider) it would be worthwhile to use sealant between the seal adapter and case. I used to use a Loctite product (not red threadlocker).. sorry, don't recall the product number right now.
After adapter install, press the seal clean and dry in to the adapter then lightly grease where the seal rides on the pulley before install.

No kidding, sand seals tend to leak--especially the no machine work needed type you have.
Of course, some people may like 'em.. that's cool too..

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 22:33:56 pm »

Easy:

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 22:44:54 pm »

True BB,
But I thought we were talking about a no-machine sand seal like the one pictured with collar (adapter)

bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 22:57:36 pm »

True BB,
But I thought we were talking about a no-machine sand seal like the one pictured with collar (adapter)

Yep, that's what I have, what Dave showed above...
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 23:06:09 pm »

Mine was also "bolt on" and no mods needed.

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
dragvw2180

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 00:59:04 am »

Loosen the bolts above and below the seal opening in the case, I used aircraft sealant on the adapter to block mating surface, you only need a small amount. The adaptor should slide in with your fingers, then retorque your bolts. I have used them on multiple motors ( turbo) and have had good luck with them.I hate an oil leak,       Mike
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:13:19 am »

we would sometimes Devcon them in.
bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:14:38 am »

I may use it on another engine project... I will work through this deal with CB and see where i'm at then.  This is the first time I ever bought a pulley that didn't fit a crankshaft... very strange, but I guess there's a first time for everything.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:14:54 am »

I may use it on another engine project... I will work through this deal with CB and see where i'm at then.  This is the first time I ever bought a pulley that didn't fit a crankshaft... very strange, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Sounds like a plan.
As I said, some guys like sand seals.. that's fine with me.

j-dub

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:55:39 am »

I have one that I am considering as well. My question is what sealant to use. My "bolt in" seal slides in loose enough that i can spin it when I was test fitting it.

Any advice on what type of sealant to stick this thing in there would be appreciated.

Jeremy
bugnut68

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:07 am »

I have one that I am considering as well. My question is what sealant to use. My "bolt in" seal slides in loose enough that i can spin it when I was test fitting it.

Any advice on what type of sealant to stick this thing in there would be appreciated.

Jeremy

That's kind of what I noticed about mine.  It doesn't necessarily spin in there that I can tell, but it slips right in.  I have another long block in my garage that has one all gooped up with some orange stuff.
j-dub

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:17 am »

I was recommended to use this at one time, have not tried it yet.
Neil Davies

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 13:23:54 pm »

I'm considering a machine-fit one to rescue a case that has maybe 3 seasons limited race use on it and spat off a pulley, taking out the end of the case. I'm hoping that the machining will cut out all the damage. Anyone have any pictures of the machining needed?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
dragvw2180

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 15:23:16 pm »

When I installed one in my Speedster the case was used and the hole for the pulley in the case was a loose fit. Like the one you posted , I could actually turn the seal adapter in the case. I cleaned the surface with brake clean and used JB WELD , an epoxy, and never had a problem with it. If you look at the picture you can see why I used a seal.      Mike

j-dub

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 02:12:17 am »

I just installed one and I used super weather strip adhesive to glue it in. I have very limited run time on it, but so far so good.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: