The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 13:24:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SHUBEE PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: SHUBEE PASSES  (Read 41404 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2011, 16:04:01 pm »

that's not what i mean, nevermind.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2011, 16:37:15 pm »

I know what you mean Died, Gary was a great one for adding fuel to a fire, and one of his favourite little "arguments" was the use of chrome trim on Cal Lookers! Cheesy I never met him or really even conversed much with him, but did look forward to seeing what he'd written in response to discussions. Sometimes I got the impression that he'd type first and think later, but sometimes I think he'd write things just to see what reaction he'd get, and having read postings from those that had known him personally, I'm inclined to think that the latter is the case more often than I realised!
He will be missed, by more than just his immediate family and friends. RIP Gary.
Neil

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
johnl

« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2011, 18:55:38 pm »

This was in my e-mail today so as per Becky's request I'm passing it on:

Good morning.  Im home safe and sound and yes got final confirmation on Garys memorial yesterday .
Will be March 5th at 11 am at Faith Community Church  West Covina, California.   Followed by a
"get together" at a park or at a hall"  with friends and family.

Would love to have you come to the service and Gary would have loved that too. Let me know if your
gonna be able to say something. We will have some "readers" incase we get started and cant finish what
we prepare.

Please feel free to share this information with others.  If they cant attend but have a message they would like read have
them email me a message to be read at the service to rsshubrook@gmail.com    or even send photographs.

Becky Shubrook
972 921 9042

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2011, 21:20:42 pm »

Just found these...if you ever wondered what he did with BRM's --he had them on the vert for a while.
Hope you like  the way it looked --- way back when in Feb 1981.                 

I believe Hector Bonilla has those BRM's in his 67. 

Thanks for the info John............ I will be swinging by on March 5th.....

Der Kleiner Panzers
Hecker

« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:53 am »

Thanks for posting the info John, I got the e-mail this morning but can't get on this site on my work
computer. I hope we can put this together with our Bugs for Breakfast. From Whittier it is a 12.5
mile drive through the streets. I figure about 40 minutes or so. I think it would be very fitting if 25
or 35 cars show up!! It's all up to the lounge & the power of the 'net.                    Ron
shubees_wife

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2011, 07:01:29 am »

Gary would have loved that ..... a cruise in his honor with his friends.

Yes Gary was opinionated but those who knew Gary knew he was good at what he did.  His Cars were great
quality and he never did anything half ass. Everything down to the bolts were correct. 

I walked thru the garage today and was trying to remember what color he had decided on for the 58 Rag top. He
had changed his mind a few times whether to keep it the oringinal color or change it. Then I looked at the 67 Vw...
I decided I want it checked out and think I might might drive it to the shows around here with our Grandbaby. Let him
show it as His and Peepaws Car....... then Last I pulled the cover off the 67 Nova... I still am in Aw  when I see it.  Wow
he did a awsome job on that car.  Made me smile thinking about the times I dragged him Out of the Garage because I was
hungry or ready for bed and it was already 10 or 11pm.  Wishing I could go drag him out again tonight..... Missing Him terribly!!
Life wont be the same without my husband. 

Shubees_wife
Becky
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:49 am »

I think a Cruz in honor to Gary from Ruby's in Whittier to the Church would be very nice. The parking lot at the church is BIG, I use to go there. Plenty of room for 35+ VW's. Good idea Ron. I'm in.

Ted (racecraf)

VW Classic 2012
johnl

« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2011, 20:36:05 pm »

So Many of You know already of Gary Shubrook's passing on 02/08/10  from a Sudden Illness while visiting California.  I am sending this out for those who might not have been notified and for his family and friends.   

Attached is his Obituary and Memorial Service Infomation.

William Gary “Shubee” Shubrook, age 56, passed away on 2/08/11 after a sudden illness while visiting friends and family in California.  Preceded in death by his parents William H. and Lillian R. Shubrook and his sister Cheryl Wilkins. Survivors include his wife Rebecca S. Shubrook, daughter Melisa N. Wilmarth and husband Ryan , grandson Cadan R. Wilmarth, sister Carol Marks-Dahlke and husband Kent, many nieces and nephews and  spouces and families. Born in Los Angles, he attented Sierra Vista High School, Balwin Park, California.  He lived most of his life in California and 4 years ago built his dream home in Oak Leaf, Texas.
Gary was well known in the automotive world working with VW, Volvo and owning Chevy’s. He was credited with being involved with intivation of the “Cal-look” with VW bugs in the 70’s and had many friends across the world. He was seen frequently in California and north Texas at the VW events and active online with the VW sites and message boards.

*A Memorial Service will be held at 11am, Saturday March 5th, 2011 at Faith Community Church in West Covina, California to “celebration of his life”. A Reception will be held after service and details annouced at that time.

In lieu of flowers donations can be made in Gary’s name to the Adopt a Pet Association in your local area.  Gary loved his two dogs, one of which was a adoption many years ago.

Rebecca Shubrook
rsshubrook@gmail.com
--
Becca

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:47 am »

Becky

Frenchy

I wish I could be at the memorial but I am unable to but if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I do not know if Gary had an engine for the 58 rag top but if he did have the parts to have it build I would love to build this motor for you free of labor. Let me know

Thanks
   Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2011, 16:27:02 pm »

Very cool & generous gesture, Frenchy.

I was just up to their home this past weekend ... picked up Gary's '67 to get it running and serviced for Becky to be able to drive and take Cadan, their grandson, cruising.
Becky gave us a tour of the house and garage/shop ... sure enough, the engine was there on his stand, covered and awaiting the pushrods we were going to measure for and cut to complete the longblock.
He's building a 2332 with Tim's stage 2 heads and an FK10 ...
Excellent and outstandingly detailed work all the way around on all his projects, and the shop is in perfect order awaiting the next operation.

... Cadan helped me load the '67 for transport!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:09:30 am by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
shubees_wife

« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2011, 14:02:38 pm »

Thank You Frenchy...    and Thank You Tom for picking up the 67 to make sure its Safe for Us.  Enjoyed meeting Your wife.

Walked thru the garage again.  WOW Gary had alot of Stuff. Dont even know what or where to start.  LOL   

Looking forward to seeing all of Garys friends next Saturday on 03/05/11  to celebrate his life.  He had a Full and Happy life Smiley

Becky
rsshubrook@gmail.com

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2011, 04:17:19 am »

Anytime Becky!

Got the '67 running like a watch, now it's time for a detail and I'll post some more.
It's really been great working on Gary's '67, even more so than my own. Can't wait to see you driving it!

This car was just exactly Shoob's way ... everything is just right, awaiting the first drive ... perfect stance, perfect look ... old school all the way.

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
shubees_wife

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2011, 14:42:55 pm »

Great pictures Tom...  Garys 67 does look good  Smiley  I have to figure out how to strap a car seat in the back seat so we can take Cadan for a ride on a regular basis.   Thanks again for taking care of everything for me.   I appreciate it.    When Cadan sees that picture he says  thats Cadan with Peepaw's Bug. 

Becky
rsshubrook@gmail.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: