The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:36:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Gary "Shubee" Shubrook
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gary "Shubee" Shubrook  (Read 25246 times)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« on: February 08, 2011, 21:32:14 pm »

It is with the weight of the world on my chest and lump in my throat so big I cannot speak that I tell you all of Gary's passing Monday night, February 7th, 2011.
His loving wife Becky was by his side.
Words alone simply cannot express ....
What a great friend to have in this crazy world! One of the few guys I really connected with ... We shared some great, long conversations and he could dole the BS out as well take it, often times much better than I. He made me Laugh Out Loud more often than not. 
An excellent guy to know especially if you have a VW, he was a great source for knowledge and advice, a virtual walking encyclopedia for 'The Old School' and vintage performance.
He was the perfect host for me last year going out for the 1st time for Bug-In 35, Nicks & the DKP reunion ... an excellent chauffeur & knower of all things SoCal. I wouldn't have gone had he not convinced me and I'll never forget it.
It's good to know St. Pete will have a bitchen old school ride since Shoob's there to supervise now.
God Bless & Rest in Peace my friend ....
TxT
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 23:09:18 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 22:52:11 pm »

Very Sad indeed...How about posting some pics of better times ..?..I never met him other than this forum but know his cars and in conversations
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:09:55 am by Kaferdog » Logged

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Hecker

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 00:21:38 am »

The man , The myth , The legend, gone to the big Wolfsburg in the sky !!
Some of us liked him , some of us not so much, but HE WILL BE MISSED.
 I spoke to his wife this afternoon & she will be planning a memorial service
sometime in the next 3 weeks. I agree with her that VW's should be there!!
So, while you take time to remember, take time to plan on attending.  Sad    Ron

58vw

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:46 am »

WOW....sad news indeed...prayers to the family...gods speed shubee

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
nlvtinman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:48:46 am »

To Becky, Gary's wife, my sincerest sympathies go out to you.

I am sure that there will be many with a variety off memories of Gary. Since he and I have been friends for the past 37 years, I of course hold him in high regard.
When I got a call today sharing this news, I went numb. I can't quite put feelings to word when events such as this unfold without warning.

Gary, I will miss getting your calls "Hey Geek, Call Me", knowing that you'd found some treasure that we all would envy having.
The VW world has lost a good guy, the Der Selten Kafers has lost a founding member, I have lost a friend.
Today is not a really happy day.
Steve Walker
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 02:00:33 am »

Very big shock for me to read this I had no idea. Gary was a great person to be around. Back when he was in DVB I had just send him a T Shirt and a pair of DVB stickers he wanted to display on one of his VW. RIP Gary you will be mist

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Hecker

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49:19 am »

Steve Walker-Make sure Galassi knows...Becky wanted to make sure he gets the word.
Hecker

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 03:19:22 am »

Here is a picture of Shubee in 1983 or 1984 ---- probably 1978 or 1979  after thinking about it. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 00:13:48 am by HECKER » Logged
Hecker

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 03:24:18 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The Famous license plate.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 03:44:25 am »

I have some pictures of Shubee I will be posting tomorrow.

Frenchy

TexasTom

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 03:49:27 am »

Shoob ...

Work, work, WORK!

nlvtinman

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 03:51:49 am »

Ron, GREAT pictures...Thanks

I got hold of Dave G and shared the news.
Steve
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:49:04 am »

The Shuuuu will be missed...I still remember the day at bug in almost 30 years ago when he showed up with his street convertible loaded to the gills with brm's galore all chained together witht he top down//LOL...hysterical site that left the masses scratchin' their heads for a long time there after..!!  and all those cars he had at one time or another..whew..  It was nice to share some time with Gary  while at the bug in old timers reunion 2 years ago..   ..bitchin grumpy guy will be missed.   R.I.P. ...luv,Dyno
Hecker

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:50:43 am »

At Bug-in 35 longtime friends   ---    DSK members    Larry Rick / Shubee / and Steve Walker
Shubee brought some '58 interior samples to show Larry
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 05:54:13 am by HECKER » Logged
normac67

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 06:11:05 am »

I think that Texas Tom said it all. A really sad day for me after getting the call from Becky this morning. Met Gary at Ennis Tx Bug-In a couple of years or so ago. We became friends and I was able to make some visits to his house as he only lives 35 miles North of me. It was an inspiration to see his garage shop and his projects. We would talk VW,s on the phone all the time. He inspired me to attend THE CLASSIC this year for the first time for which I am gratefull.

Becky I will never forget Gary. He was a great guy to me. Texas has lost a great Cal-Look enthusiast. My condolences go to you and your family and all his friends in California and overseas.

Norris McPherson
shubees_wife

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:18:45 am »

This is Becky... Garys wife.  I joined to the group because I heard about all the kind words and wanted to Thank everyone. We are in the process ......between the tears ... of planning his "Memorial Service". Willl keep everyone posted when and where.  He was a good man and touched many lifes. Glad he had so many quality friends.  Please send photograhs to rsshubrook@gmail.com.
Thank You again for your calls, emails and the stories from so many friends.

Becky Shubrook
Dave Galassi

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:15:40 am »

At Bug-in 35 longtime friends   ---    DSK members    Larry Rick / Shubee / and Steve Walker
Shubee brought some '58 interior samples to show Larry

Thank you Ron. Rough day.  There is more Cal Look history and knowledge in that photo than most people will ever realize.  Gary knew the cars, the parts, the people and the industry.  He was an independent thinker with strong opinions, like them or not.  He was one of us.   

Becky, I look forward to being there for the service.  Please let me know how I can help.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 10:26:20 am by Dave Galassi » Logged
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56:58 am »

last year at the bug-in legend party
carlnolen

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 17:02:15 pm »

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary when he and Becky moved to Texas. Seemed like we would always get together and talk at the local bug-ins. Super nice guy with a weath of VW knowledge. Man, I wish I could have spent more time with Gary and Becky. It was an honor to know him just a little bit.

Carl Nolen
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 17:16:19 pm »

Here are a few pictures of Gary and I at one of the recent Bug In. I was showing Gary pictures from DVB back in the days.

Frenchy

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 17:18:05 pm by Frenchy Dehoux » Logged

volkskris

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 18:29:40 pm »

R.I.P. Shubee Cry
Dave Galassi

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 15:56:43 pm »

A story for the uninitiated..........
1983, Shubees mom's house in Baldwin Park, off Ramona.  I'd been into VW's for a several years and finally met him when he came to the VW salvage yard I worked at.  We'd talked a few times before he asked me if I wanted to see a few parts he had at his house.   

A little small talk at the door and we head into the "room".  There's a STACK of BRM's in the corner (what do you mean repros?) and a full house EMPI engine on a stand (ditto for the "empi" parts - there were no repros).  When I mean full house, I mean exhaust to air cleaners to fuel filter, etc.............like right out of the catalog.  Did I mention the GT valve covers?  Roller crank, ratio rockers, 88's........  Then the drawers open up and parts start coming out.  You all can't even imagine what was there.  Now, remember, there was no internet at the time, so it's not like he pushed a button to find it all. 
I spent the morning there getting SCHOOLED on what's what in the VW hipo world.  I didn't want to be too forward, but I would have chopped off my right arm for a pair of the GT sand cast valve covers (three pair) and a pair of the ratio rockers (NOS) for my Notch, not to mention the rest of the booty.  I didn't out and out say it, but ole' Shubee knew I wanted 'em. I had figured out this guy didn't waste too many words and thought he didn't like me much.   
Well, after lunch, I'm ready to head home and start to walk outside when Shubee walks after me holding a pair of the GT's and one of the NOS packages of ratio rockers. 

"Bring me (whatever the price was - I really can't remember) next week."  Think I missed the payment?

Next story, the sleeper. 
TexasTom

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 17:10:45 pm »

Great stories here ...

I didn't know Shoob near as long as most here, but we got together after he'd moved to Texas.
He sent me a message after I posted a pic of my car here on the Lounge.
I had lost interest in 'the scene' and only attended the Texas Classic every year for fun, and it's pretty close to home.
We agreed to meet at the next Bug-In out here and spent the day BSing, perusing the swap meet, and watching the runs.
Of course, upon meeting there he asks, "Where's your car? Why didn't you bring it?". After my lame excuse he responds in classic Shoob style, "Well, what the F*%K?!" Of course, we both "LOL"!

Well the long and the short of it is he pretty much single-handedly drug me back into "The Scene"(not that it was that hard).
His influence sparked my interest, that and trying out Unlimited Street racing ... Now I'm building a new plant for the car and working on a whole new car ...
It's all his fault. LMAO Grin

Work, work, WORK!

JonW

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 20:59:53 pm »

You're bringing back some memories with the house story, Dave. It was on Patritti Ave. I remember it because he used to call it "Patritti Raceway" and he gave me my first ride in a 10 second car down that street. He called the car Mr. Tibbs. I don't think he ever timed it, but if Gary said it was a "10-second car" then I have no doubts.

It was about 10 PM and we just got back from the In-N-Out, in the Scirocco I think. He just had the muffler run under the car on Tibbs... first one I'd ever seen... and he had to fire it up. He ran it up and down the street to warm it up and then said hop in. So.... long dark street with maybe 4 light posts, cars parked on both sides so there was barely enough room to call it a lane. Gary starts Tibbs off with a roll to be nice to the trans and then NAILS IT! Of course he had a Deist belt for himself, but nothing for the passenger. That thing set me back so hard I was grabbing the seat bottom so I wouldn't end up in the back seat! I don't know which one of us was laughing harder

Patritti Raceway !
Hecker

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:28:03 am »

I've posted a few "vintage photos" in the other thread "Shubee Passes" please take the time to look
at this other thread, I've also tried to give the story behind the pics. Thanks everyone for putting up
with my "nostalgia".........Hecker AKA  Ron
Hecker

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 06:50:01 am »

This is a pool party after the DVB club drags at Irwindale. I believe it was Nov '75. See if you can identify
in the second picture -- Dave & Judy Kawell, Jim Dutcher, & Lonnie Reed. The party was in Glendora at
Leonard's house a DVB member who later left for DSK. He had a beautiful red '57 sunroof with red EMPI
5 spokes. I'll have pics of that soon. In the first pic you'll see SHUBEE dripping wet, while you'll see a
very much younger HECKER being pulled out of the water. My right leg was in a cast & could not get WET !!

Also in the second picture -- John Fawley, Mike & Don Buckey, Mike Heinz, Doug La Fleur, (1st notch I ever saw)
Pete Farnsworth, Carlos Solis & Barron Castillo.
Rumor has it, I think I saw Dutcher drive his buggy on the street, much to the displeasure of the cops who were
there almost immediately.  Shocked
shubees_wife

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:33:23 am »

Love reading the stories....... Miss hearing him telling them to me.  His eyes would alway twinkle and he would be grinning ear to ear.
 I warned him years ago he wasnt gonna strap me in like he did his Mom  (lill) in a Baracuta and take me for the "Ride of my Life".  He would always Laugh and tell me "You wanna Bet?".   Thank goodness that never happened.   He loved his family and His friends are family.  He talked and told stories of the "old days" with great passion and excitment and Love. 

Missing him terribly........ his grandson told me tonight that Peepaw is in Heaven with Uncle Dave (my brother that lived with us this fall while dying of Cancer) in  the Stars... I like the thought of looking at the Stars and knowing he is looking down on US Smiley
I told Cadan that Peepaw and Uncle Dave are probally having a party up there.....but actually they are probally building that car my brother was always after gary to build for Him. 

If you need information on Garys Memorial Service  email me at rsshubrook@gmail.com   Its gonna be great to see his friends...... old and new at his celebration of his life.  Please have a message to share or a Great old stroy ....... Gary will be looking down Smiling

Becky ...... shubee's wife   
Hecker

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 06:54:15 am »

Hey Guys   --- How about it, Shubee didn't invent the 8 spoke or the BRM, heck he didn't even invent
the Cal -Look, but he probably had an influence on more people than we might ever know. Heck, all
those days at Auto-Haus, SCS, and Barrett he probably sold more Race-trim parts than most people have
seen.  --- Lets ALL show up at this memorial service & give him a tribute that he can see & HEAR !!!
Wouldn't you want the community to come for YOUR service?    Grin   Ron
Glauco

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2011, 19:00:13 pm »

rip shubee
he was the guy that called about every person in america that had original empi 8's for sale to get me the best prise, than he picked them up for me and help get them to belgium
all for the love of vw's he said..
he was one of the greatest influences on me regarding vw's
Glauco
67Screamer

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2011, 19:57:27 pm »

R.I.P Shubee.

Sad
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: