The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:49:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  I need some help with my gauge dilemna
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I need some help with my gauge dilemna  (Read 4192 times)
Sam K

« on: January 29, 2012, 22:52:38 pm »

I'm making a few small cahnges on my bug this winter and the feature on T.Fabs' 67 inspired me to ditch my Autometer monsteer tach in favor of a set of EMPi gauges. I've had most of the gauges for years but I finally bought the proper senders and I also picked up the tach on the samba. Now that I have them all in the car I'm not sure that I like it. For one thing, the tach hooks up to the positive side of the coil so I'm pretty sure can't run it with any sort of ignition control box. Maybe I'm just used to the monster tach since it's been there for the 15 years or so. I welcome any opinions and comments.

Before:

After:
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 00:44:34 am »

Just a idea, But paint the 3 guage holder backgrown blue like dash and paint alum box under glovebox black, kinda hide it. Like the new look, they blend in like it would have been stock like that.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
neil68

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:14 am »

For one thing, the tach hooks up to the positive side of the coil so I'm pretty sure can't run it with any sort of ignition control box.

I run a 70 mm VDO tach and also the MSD 6AL ignition with rev limiter pills without issue.  What ignition control box are you using?
I have my tach mounted below the ashtray...if you look closely in this photograph:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:07:10 am by neil68 » Logged

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:13:21 am »

If it was mine... I'd get those stock looking gauge panels, paint match them and install the gauges in them. Also, use a 68 speedo with integral fuel gauge (looks just like the 67 speedo).
I'm not a fan of gauges hanging or sprouting from the dash Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sam K

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:26:16 am »

Painting the panel to match the car is a good idea. The silver box under the dash is the outlet for the gas heater and it would look good painted as well. At one point, I had the 3 small gauges in a panel next to the speedo that was painted as well, but I like the chrome on the dashboard go all the way across. As far as the tach wiring goes, the pod mount tachs are like no other that I've ever seen. You hook keyed 12 source to the tach and the tach signal wire powers the coil. When I first got it, I wired it like a normal tach and it fried the electronic ignition. Decisions, decisions.
fredy66

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 03:37:38 am »

Wink

arabia slugs
Jim M

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:31:33 am »

I painted the empi panels to match the rest of the car. I used an early ghia gas gauge, bottom right.

Porters Precision
volkskris

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

here you go Jim
typ34vienna

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:45 pm »

Here is my solution for the gauges:
There are three VDO 52mm gauges mounted with a fastfab kit
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Here you can purchase it:http://www.fastfabonline.com/gauge-mounting-panel.html

and I have a Monstertach too. Its mounted near the mirror:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Hope you like it!

youngnstudly

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:40:43 am »

This is how I mounted the airplane gauges in my car. I don't have pics of it installed as I finished it a year ago and tossed it in my tool box drawer for now (car isn't running yet). You could certainly do something more simple in design though (like omit the stainless trim rings).

Here is the first edition I made from aluminum and polished. At that time I was running all VDO cockpit gauges. Obviously it was rough fitted in these pics strictly for mock up. I never liked how the shiney aluminum seemed to attract passengers fingers though! Roll Eyes "OH MY GOD, SHINEY METAL! CAN I TOUCH IT?", followed by "Oops."

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 17:15:26 pm »

i think i like the gauge holder in your car, but with the tach next to it, it might be a bit too much to be sticking out under the dash.

i always appreciate gauges well constructed in the dash.

i made the panels myself from plain ones. i cut out the contours of the gauges, stuck some wax to the back and filled the ribs on the front with filler and painted them.

quite some labour, but very rewarding to do it yourself, plus you can think of any design of the gauges. (and it's cheaper, but that's me as a student with not too much budget)

these are my panels:

might be a big rig of gauges but you can design your own setup.

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: