The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 15:37:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Gary "Shubee" Shubrook
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Gary "Shubee" Shubrook  (Read 25468 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 20:34:47 pm »

So Many of You know already of Gary Shubrook's passing on 02/08/10  from a Sudden Illness while visiting California.  I am sending this out for those who might not have been notified and for his family and friends.   

Attached is his Obituary and Memorial Service Infomation.

William Gary “Shubee” Shubrook, age 56, passed away on 2/08/11 after a sudden illness while visiting friends and family in California.  Preceded in death by his parents William H. and Lillian R. Shubrook and his sister Cheryl Wilkins. Survivors include his wife Rebecca S. Shubrook, daughter Melisa N. Wilmarth and husband Ryan , grandson Cadan R. Wilmarth, sister Carol Marks-Dahlke and husband Kent, many nieces and nephews and  spouces and families. Born in Los Angles, he attented Sierra Vista High School, Balwin Park, California.  He lived most of his life in California and 4 years ago built his dream home in Oak Leaf, Texas.
Gary was well known in the automotive world working with VW, Volvo and owning Chevy’s. He was credited with being involved with intivation of the “Cal-look” with VW bugs in the 70’s and had many friends across the world. He was seen frequently in California and north Texas at the VW events and active online with the VW sites and message boards.

*A Memorial Service will be held at 11am, Saturday March 5th, 2011 at Faith Community Church in West Covina, California to “celebration of his life”. A Reception will be held after service and details annouced at that time.

In lieu of flowers donations can be made in Gary’s name to the Adopt a Pet Association in your local area.  Gary loved his two dogs, one of which was a adoption many years ago.

Rebecca Shubrook
rsshubrook@gmail.com
--
Becca

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
vwgearhead

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2011, 03:32:16 am »

Hello,I met shubee in a funny way a few years back,I pieced together a 2332CC longblock with all new parts,I gathered all of the parts on a good deal here & there so I thought I would list all of the items on ebay and make a killing on the longblock as a whole,as the days past and the auction continued I only had a few watchers,Shubee asked me what the reserve was and I told him(thinking by the time the auction ends it will be far past the reserve)well it didnt go up at all and I thought to myself I will just assemble the engine and put it im my car,At the very last second of the auction Shubee bid just a couple of dollars over the reserve and before I could blink my eyes it was all said and done.I couldnt believe how fast it all happen,I was dissapointed that I could not use the engine but after I met him I was glad it was going to someone that was deep into the vw game,(much longer then me)and someone that was really going to use the engine,we talked for a little while at the pickup and he told me that he knows the Guy who taught me alot of my trix(Carl Anderson/Kingpin turbo bug)that made it that much sweeter,we would email  from time to time and I would see his advertisements in the classifieds,the last time we spoke he told me he got over 220 horsepower out of that motor,that was exciting to hear! Gary R.I.P.
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2011, 04:00:52 am »

Welcome to the Lounge vwgearhead, and thanks for your contribution to Gary's legacy. I know Gary held you in quite high regard.
Some of us others also know how good Gary was with that mouse! I'm sure yours is not the only auction he won!
When I told him I was looking for a case to build a motor, Shubee forwarded me vwgearheads ad's on TheSamba and recommended him with good references because he had dealt with him and knew he was cool. I have e-mailed and talked to him on the phone and indeed he is a good resource if any of you guy's need anything.
That was Gary, always thinking of his friends who needed something.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 04:39:10 am »

I remember a year ago or so Gary was selling a pair of velocity stacks for 42 DCNF 9 which are very rare and Gary had them on the Samba and i told Gary I was looking for a set for a few years and could not find any of them. He told me he had them on one of his motor years ago and he had no use for them anymore. Gary was happy to sell them to me as I was putting a motor together just to have hopefully in one of my future projects. Now more than ever I am glad I have them in memory of Gary.

Thanks Gary for the velocity stacks you will never be forgotten.
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
day

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 05:20:01 am »

Thank you for everyone that made Gary's service so special
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 07:10:27 am »

Just wanted to share a few pics from todays Bugs & Breakfast /Shubees Memorial.........It was a nice Memorial R.I.P. Shubee

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Hecker

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 07:21:24 am »

Nice -- good to see those who came out & stayed -- thanks from me & others who really liked the tribute.
I just got home from an extended DSK version of a reunion. Thanks to our DSK II  host for a great time.
And to ERIC -- derjava66 with the java green 66 great way to get introduced to a good group of people -- thanks for coming !!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 21:45:37 pm by HECKER » Logged
Derjava66

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 07:46:04 am »

Hecker Thanks for convincing me to go on the cruise it was a nice even if under sad circumstances.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 08:12:50 am »

Texas Tom...I was good to meet you ...I wish it was under better circumstances by none the less it was good to meet you If I ever make it to Austin,TX I will be sure to look you up...!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 06:18:20 am »

Thanks to EVERYONE for coming to the BfB, cruise, Memorial/Celebration, Lunch ... all for the Celebration of life and Times of a truly Great Guy!

One more Shoob (I know this is getting you Hecker! Wink) story ...

So when Gary finally made it to Texas I imagine it didn't take long for him to realize he may have made a ... miscalculation.
It seems through all of his detailed planning he forgot one thing ... that he was probably at least 1000 miles from the nearest In & Out! ... Definitely one of his most favorite destinations no matter where he was.
I used to say to him, "Geez Shoob ( I called him "SHOOB", LOL), just head over to WhataBurger! ... It's F'n great! Best Burgers around ..."; Only one response would sound, "That place SUCKS!"
Well I'd rib him a little more and he'd try to explain to me in his ever-present detailed manner the standout reasons why In & Out was so far superior to any other Burger establishment to be found ... "Yeah, whatever", I'd say.
Well, as luck would have it ... and I think it was all part of a great scheme he devised ... When he finally convinced me to come out to SoCal for Bug-In 35, where do you think we had dinner first? Double-Doubles at In & Out ... or did I have a Triple-Triple? Hecker?
Anyhow, it was pretty good ... OK, it was really good.
Moving forward, Sunday had come and almost went this past weekend. I was a bit late rolling into the DKP/Nick's meet (which was still very cool) and upon leaving was going to grab a burger and roll to the room. Ron suggested to me that the same In & Out (where my inauguration was held) was close by ... I figured, "What the F@#k!", as Shoob would say ...
Burger was damn fine, even went full Shubee and grabbed a Barg's.
Then I had a great idea! I asked and received an ULTIMATE piece of memorabilia (at least for me) and I know Gary is LOLing every time I switch hats ... just for him:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:23:50 am by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 06:30:13 am »

"You want fries with that?"  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Hecker

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 00:47:12 am »

Thanks to EVERYONE for coming to the BfB, cruise, Memorial/Celebration, Lunch ... all for the Celebration of life and Times of a truly Great Guy!

One more Shoob (I know this is getting you Hecker! Wink) story ...

So when Gary finally made it to Texas I imagine it didn't take long for him to realize he may have made a ... miscalculation.
It seems through all of his detailed planning he forgot one thing ... that he was probably at least 1000 miles from the nearest In & Out! ... Definitely one of his most favorite destinations no matter where he was.
I used to say to him, "Geez Shoob ( I called him "SHOOB", LOL), just head over to WhataBurger! ... It's F'n great! Best Burgers around ..."; Only one response would sound, "That place SUCKS!"
Well I'd rib him a little more and he'd try to explain to me in his ever-present detailed manner the standout reasons why In & Out was so far superior to any other Burger establishment to be found ... "Yeah, whatever", I'd say.
Well, as luck would have it ... and I think it was all part of a great scheme he devised ... When he finally convinced me to come out to SoCal for Bug-In 35, where do you think we had dinner first? Double-Doubles at In & Out ... or did I have a Triple-Triple? Hecker?
Anyhow, it was pretty good ... OK, it was really good.
Moving forward, Sunday had come and almost went this past weekend. I was a bit late rolling into the DKP/Nick's meet (which was still very cool) and upon leaving was going to grab a burger and roll to the room. Ron suggested to me that the same In & Out (where my inauguration was held) was close by ... I figured, "What the F@#k!", as Shoob would say ...
Burger was damn fine, even went full Shubee and grabbed a Barg's.
Then I had a great idea! I asked and received an ULTIMATE piece of memorabilia (at least for me) and I know Gary is LOLing every time I switch hats ... just for him:

You had a Double -Double "ANIMAL STYLE"  the first time!! Problem with the first pic -- Looks like you forgot to get a "SAUCE" packet  for the fries!!!!
As for the second picture -- you look like a cast-off employee from FIVE GUYS with that checkered collar. BUT, THAT HAT is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT over
the COWBOY style. HA HA LOL.........and remember SHU - BEE  is a TWO SYLLABLE NAME !!!  But if you want to sound like a crazy REDNECK TEXAN
then call him SHOOB...... Whichever way you call him, he'll will be remembered for a long time to come.   Wink
shubees_wife

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 15:56:11 pm »

Love it Tx Tom  .......  I think we all Ate In & Out last Sunday in Garys honor.  I took my sister in law Kim up the coast and when we passed thru Ventura we stopped at the In & Out Gary and I used to go too and Toasted him with a Root Beer and a  Burger.  Kim had heard Gary talk about In & Out coming to texas soon and how great the food was and how much we missed it.   She was glad to report "he was right...  Great burger and fries!!"   Melisa and I will be honoring Gary when our first In & Out opens in the DFW AREA. Just waiting for them to annouce the date for completion.   

Becky
rsshubrook@gmail.com
TexasTom

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 16:38:42 pm »

YES Becky!
We'll have to put a cruise together ... even if it's just a few cars from the area ...
Keep me posted.

Hecker,
All I can say is my HAT does a whole lot better job preventing me from turning into a Lobster, but this little thing does fit in the car more easily! LOL
And, the way I see it, it's kind of like Happy Days ... remember that show? Arthur Fonzerelli? Fonzy, The Fonz, or simply Fonz ...
Call him what you like, but Shubee (Shoob, The Shuuu) will always be One Kool Kat in my book.

OK, one more story:
Gary was an easy guy to talk with.
I lost my mom about a year before Shubee and I met. I found him a great asset, dealing with the events and developments that followed after, especially those 'political' family situations.
I called him once on a Saturday pretty Tee'd off, reeling from one of those exact situations. He helped turn the afternoon into a productive one as I was able to immerse myself into a project that needed some attention on the car ...
He was a friend in the true sense of the word, always willing to help.

But, of course, my favorite conversations were loaded with silliness and usually began with something like, "Hey, so what're ya wearing?" LOL

To Shubee, The Shoob ... Till we meet again!
TxT
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 17:33:08 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

shubees_wife

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 03:08:56 am »

Been over 6 months now and I think of Gary all the time.....i pass  In and out burger all the time and  everytime i see a VW bug on the road my heart beats faster.  Miss the grouchy guy that loved us so much and his friends.  Things going well .....or as well as can be expected. Looking forward to the cooler weather so i can get that little 67 VW of Garys on the road and headed to some cruise nights.    Becky
58vw

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2011, 08:29:19 am »

seems like yesterday...hope you get in that 67 soon and enjoy it and im sure he will to

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
shubees_wife

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2011, 05:05:34 am »

I do drive the 67 Vw..... Take Cadan in his Peepaws car on Sat or Sun mornings to the donut place or Ihop. We did take
alittle break when it was 112 degrees but starting back the regimen again in the morning.   
TexasTom

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2012, 13:50:50 pm »

To The TOP!!!

In Memory of Gary Shubee (Shoob) Shubrook! RIP, Our Friend!

Hope everyone has a good LOL in his memory today!
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

shubees_wife

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2012, 14:10:59 pm »

He is in my thoughts all the time.....what he would do ......what he would say.

When I drive his 67 red VW Bug I feel the Warm Fuzzys..... I know he is with me taking
a Ride  Smiley 

Miss my Sweet Guy!! Cant believe its been a year!

Becky

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: