The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:14:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Freezing components.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Freezing components.  (Read 8567 times)
Lee

« on: April 11, 2007, 13:35:20 pm »

Has anybody else tried/heard of this?
I was reading an article last night about the subject and it was very interesting, just wondering if it's as good as they're claiming Huh
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 14:02:29 pm by TRAMP » Logged
Alan Uyeno

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 15:56:27 pm »

cryoing isn't an expensive process and it appears to help. Is it a solution to pitting lifters??? NOPE. I got my gears in my trans cryoed. I think its a piece of mind more than anything but people have had excellent success doing it.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 16:22:31 pm »

I heard about that too...

I was told that it is very helpfull on R&P....

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
ESH

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 20:14:53 pm »

I heard of a lawnmower that made 3 more HP after a little cryo, percentage wise that's a good hike!  Shocked
Lee

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 20:54:19 pm »

cryoing isn't an expensive process and it appears to help. Is it a solution to pitting lifters??? NOPE. I got my gears in my trans cryoed. I think its a piece of mind more than anything but people have had excellent success doing it.

Yeh.
After going through it again, they're saying that some formula 1 teams use it for their engines.
If it's good enough for formula 1, it's good enough for VW's.
Also saying that they could do an engine for £400, no bad i thought.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 01:06:50 am »

Huh can someone help me here  Huh why would you want to freeze an engine  Huh whats the theroy  Huh just some more info would be cool  Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
ESH

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:21 am »

Put simply and according to my limited understanding of it cryogenic freezing of certain metals changes the structure of the material improving certain charecteristics. It's a few degrees on from simply freezing it so sticking it in your freezer won't work! There are several components that potentially benefit from the process.

Smiley
Lee

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 12:53:46 pm »

Huh can someone help me here  Huh why would you want to freeze an engine  Huh whats the theroy  Huh just some more info would be cool  Huh Smiley
The article i read was in  EmbarrassedMAX POWER Embarrassed
Lee.C

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 21:49:10 pm »

Put simply and according to my limited understanding of it cryogenic freezing of certain metals changes the structure of the material improving certain charecteristics. It's a few degrees on from simply freezing it so sticking it in your freezer won't work! There are several components that potentially benefit from the process.

Smiley

Thanks dude now I understand - I better get the 1641 out of my mum's freezer then Cheesy Smiley

richie

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:32 am »

I have tried a few different things,the most success I have had is with valve springs,got 3 years now on my K800s with a very small lose in pressure,just for reference a non cryoed set lost more pressure in the spring pressure measuring tool after to checks than mine have after the 3 years running,cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 21:34:11 pm »

I'm no expert on this process either, but what I have read about it did not state that it will make your engine produce more power.  I think that is a myth.  The process causes the molecular structure to align itself into a more uniform pattern.  I believe that it requires a freeze and thaw cycle several times over to achieve the results that are described.  When all the molecular structure is uniform, there is less opportunity for breakage since there are no defects (or weak points) in the part. 

The parts aren't changed in shape or size in anyway, so I'm not sure how more horsepower could be gained from the cryogenic process.  If you've got a link that shows how HP gains have been made by doing this, I would love to read it.  But it is my understanding that strength is the only thing to be gained.

Scott Faivre

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 00:10:26 am »

mmmm interesting  Smiley

ESH

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 09:40:58 am »

...The process causes the molecular structure to align itself into a more uniform pattern... 

...The parts aren't changed in shape or size in anyway, so I'm not sure how more horsepower could be gained from the cryogenic process...

Depends which components you are talking about but the change at a molecular level can improve cooling in certain components by increasing the rate at which heat is dissipated and this can have a moderate effect in the ability to make consistent power. For data to confirm this you'd have to experiment a little but it would probably be worthwhile.

Smiley
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 17:39:53 pm »

Yeah, but I think the real deal is that after you've made the parts stronger, you can push them a little harder to squeak out more horsepower.  It's the tuning done afterward that creates more power, not just freezing the parts and putting them back the same way they were before.  The material that the part was made from hasn't changed (For instance: Aluminum into some ultra-rare alloy), so the thermodynamic characteristics of the material won't really be changed at all.  I could be wrong.  Like you said, there's only 1 way to find out. Wink

Cryo'ing parts for the increase in stregnth is why we should look into this treatment.  If we generate a miniscule more amount of HP that's just an added bonus! Grin

Scott Faivre

Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 02:38:03 am »

This is a very interesting thread - I am going to research this ALOT for my next engine  Smiley

So which components are normally frozen Huh

Frank LUX

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 12:09:55 pm »

This is a very interesting thread - I am going to research this ALOT for my next engine  Smiley

So which components are normally frozen Huh

I would go for Heads and R&P...

Frank

1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 12:24:39 pm »

I take it R&P stands for rods and pistons Huh  thanks for the info though dude Smiley

Frank LUX

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 12:45:06 pm »

I take it R&P stands for rods and pistons Huh  thanks for the info though dude Smiley

No, it stands for Ring and Pinion, you know the thing that always lets go in the Race Trannies... Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

Lee.C

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 13:35:53 pm »

yeah I realised that after I posted that  Roll Eyes but what about rods  Huh

Frank LUX

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 14:44:25 pm »

yeah I realised that after I posted that  Roll Eyes but what about rods  Huh

Don't know, i have not used that "freezing" process yet, but will probably let my heads get Cryod next Time...

Frank

quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 19:25:26 pm »

I don't think it would hurt to get any of your parts cryo'ed.  But usually it's the high stress items first. (i.e. cranks, cams, rods, flywheel, etc.)  basically anything that stands a chance of shearing from repeated abuse.

Scott Faivre

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 22:35:39 pm »

I know Bruce Tweddle cryod my ZF diff before I bought it. And the rest of the car gets cryod every single winter!  Embarrassed

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Chris W

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 22:12:37 pm »

I listend to this a while back. It has some good info I thought.

http://richchristensen.com/radio/ivdimension.php

Click on Cryogenics under broadcasts.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: