The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:38:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Modifying the stock Zbar?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Modifying the stock Zbar?  (Read 2552 times)
j-f

Jean-François

« on: February 20, 2011, 15:20:15 pm »

I've read an old vw tech & tune book from Clymer publications.

The explain how to modify the stock camber compensator to make it more efficient.

Do you think it worse to give it a try?

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 15:47:08 pm »

Interesting. I've heard and read a lot of times that sway bars are good on the front, but not a good thing on the rear. That it makes the rear axle have an "uncertain" behavior (especially on a wet road). And as it's said in this article, never put a sway bar only on the rear.

Camber compensator are considered a good thing, but do you keep the Z-bar with a camber or remove it? Could it cause some troubles to have both? Otherwise putting spacers on the Z-bar to have it working full time is cheaper than a camber, and interesting if it works.

And another thing is to add straps on the axles to limitate their travel and keep it "loaded" with a slightly negative camber. But again is it usefull when you already have a camber compensator?

And one last things, I know some guys racing with their VW, they've modded a camber compensator for the front axle instead of a sway bar. Works the same as the rear camber except it's mounted on the front beam and works on the arms. They say it works very nicely. There's an article about it in VW Tech mag, have to find it.

volkskris

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 16:33:13 pm »

shim the rubbers on the z-bar so that they're much closer to the axle. there is a thread somewhere on stf about road-racing suspension, I'll look it up for you  Wink
volkskris

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 16:34:39 pm »

here it is: click  Wink
Kristof
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 16:40:32 pm »

Great link thanks!

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 18:08:06 pm »

X2, Carrera Ghia's Rock.

Done ? Not Yet.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 18:17:22 pm »

Shims definitely make a difference for better handling.
Back before I went full on drag race with my old '67, it was a daily driver and weekend warrior at the local autocrosses!
Always got the crowd going boiling the tires around the course with 2110 power out back ... what a great and fun car that was ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 22:57:54 pm »

Thanks for the input guy's  Smiley

My Zbar need some service. I will try this mod while changing bushings and sleeves.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: