The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:24:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Important Cal look Notice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Important Cal look Notice  (Read 40551 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 18:56:26 pm »

Well that moves me up one rung on the "Who's owned their Cal-Look car the longest" ladder.  Cheesy

I think the only ppl that have me beat are Marc and Glenn.

Come this summer, if Russell comes walking toward you, RUN!!!  Grin Cheesy

You funny man!  Grin Grin

There's an old DKK saying... "Cool cannot be bought!"  Wink Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 19:08:05 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
WayneMcCarthy

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 21:35:08 pm »

What a sad moment in Cal-look history  Cry

That car should keep roaming the streets of southern California with Dave. Don't think it'll like to be locked away in prison.

Sad......not sure thats the correct word  Huh. How does being locked in prision = being showed and raced all over europe...... vrs being
used a few times a year in CA.

Congrat's Russell , I'm Sure this Cool Car Won't be Sad & I wouldn't Mind being Locked up With it !!!!! Can't wait to see it @ EBi ...... I'm very Jealous .

Trust  me it will love its new home......

Russell

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 00:03:35 am »

Rocekt racing

No problem, it will be used and not just at shows.

Best Regards

Russell
lawrence

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 00:09:49 am »

Congrats on the purchase, Russell. A legendary car that I will miss seeing on my trips to Socal. Be sure and post some pics of it every so often.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52:37 am »

Rocekt racing

I know a lock up in North London that its welcome to use, I'm sure it will enjoy the daily commute into East London!

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 08:55:57 am »

Rocekt racing

Pick up the glove then Russell, and come and race it at SCC this year!!? I think that would make Dave really happy!  Wink
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:57:51 am by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
RhoadsVW

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

It's true that my green car will be seen and I hope enjoyed in another part of the world.  Thank you to everybody around the world for the support and admiration you have given to it.  First to Tim Gavern when in December 1991 did the first article and cover of it in VW Trends. To fellow DRFer Roger Crawford for a superb set of heads and lots of help with everything. Keith Seume for with March 1995 Volksworld and again last year in Ultra VW. And also for help bringing the car to England in 1996 (and back again). All the Hot VW's staff. Also big special thanks to Bill Schwimmer, Mike Herbert. Stephen Szantai, Richie Webb, "Dyno" Don Chamberland and countless, countless others. After having the car for almost 40 years there are so many to thank. I was proud to have my car put with John Rayburn's for the last article in Ultra VW. Not a big enough thanks to Russell Ritchie for giving it a new home and the care it deserves. He was the ONLY one that I wanted to have it. I know it will be cared and treated with the utmost respect. I hope everybody enjoys it being in the UK again and Europe.  Thanks again to everybody.   Dave Rhoads
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 13:48:27 pm by RhoadsVW » Logged

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38:01 am »

Well, Dave, you're just gonna have to pay a return visit to the UK, aren't you?  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 14:30:01 pm »

Russell

My reply was not meant as criticism to you. Who wouldn't love to have that car in their garage given the opportunity?

I just think it's sad that Dave and the car has parted ways and that there's almost no real cars left where the history started.
Prison may have been the wrong word, but I pictured it parked in a building in Scotland only to see daylight when taken to shows. Would be cool to see it used and raced, that's what these cars are all about.

well my reply IS ment as a criticism!!!  This is one car that should have been left in California  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

A very very sad day indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Peter

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 14:43:10 pm »

Who are you to judge?
If Dave is happy with it, so be it...it was HIS car!
Peter

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2011, 14:45:23 pm »

..And now guys in Europe will be able to drool on it too Smiley
Gunter

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 14:56:59 pm »

It's true that my green car will be seen and I hope enjoyed in another part of the world.  Thank you to everybody around the world for the support and admiration you have given to it.  First to Tim Gavern when in December 1991 did the first article and cover of it in VW Trends. To fellow DRFer Roger Crawford for a superb set of heads and lots of help with everything. Keith Seume for with March 1995 Volksworld and again last year in Ultra VW. And also for help bringing the car to England in 1996 (and back again). All the Hot VW's staff. Also big special thanks to Bill Schwimmer, Mike Herbert. Stephen Szantai, Richie Webb, "Dyno" Don Chamberland and countless, countless others. After having the car for almost 40 years there are so many to thank. I was proud to have my car put with John Rayburn's for the last article in Ultra VW. Not a big enough thanks to Russell Ritchie for giving it a new home and the care it deserves. He was the ONLY one that I wanted to have it. I know it will be cared and treated with the utmost respect. I hope everybody enjoys it being in the UK again and Europe.  Thanks again to everybody.   Dave Rhoads

You are 100% right Dave regardless the why the who the reasons etc
would love to see you at EBI4 or why not SCC10 behind the wheel , that would be great
anyway see you in SOCAL end of April

Gunter.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 15:09:59 pm »

Russell

My reply was not meant as criticism to you. Who wouldn't love to have that car in their garage given the opportunity?

I just think it's sad that Dave and the car has parted ways and that there's almost no real cars left where the history started.
Prison may have been the wrong word, but I pictured it parked in a building in Scotland only to see daylight when taken to shows. Would be cool to see it used and raced, that's what these cars are all about.

well my reply IS ment as a criticism!!!  This is one car that should have been left in California  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

So who is your criticism aimed at? Dave for selling the car? Russell for buying it? Kingstown Shipping for shipping it over? The American public for not buying it? People in Europe for wanting to see this legendary car? Or yourself because you didn't go to SoCal and buy it?Huh Huh

Lee.C

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2011, 16:44:07 pm »

Russell

So who is your criticism aimed at? Dave for selling the car? Russell for buying it? Kingstown Shipping for shipping it over? The American public for not buying it? People in Europe for wanting to see this legendary car? Or yourself because you didn't go to SoCal and buy it?Huh Huh

well if I am honest (and not just trying to suck up to Russell like the rest of you!) my criticism mainly aimed at Russell! Whats the point of bringing it to the UK?Huh? so what if it get seen at a couple of UK shows, Its a Cali Car thats part of the Cal Look history and I just think it should have stayed there - There you go theres my 2 cents !

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2011, 17:09:26 pm »

Oh brother… So, if you had the chance to buy a car of your dreams, you mean you wouldn't actually want to drive it? You'd really prefer to leave it half way round the world and would be happy to simply boast to people that you owned it? Come on, Lee, that stretches even my vivid imagination.

Dave wanted to sell his car – and wanted it to go to Russell (To quote Dave's words: "He was the ONLY one that I wanted to have it. I know it will be cared and treated with the utmost respect."). He has the financial wherewithal  to buy it and wanted it (didn't we all!). That's all there is to it. By the same token, are you saying I was wrong to buy the Chop Top off Keith Goss? Very similar deal - Keith wanted the car to go right away, to someone who would appreciate it. The last thing Dave wanted was to turn up at a Cruise night and see his old car in the hands of a local. Keith Goss felt the same way...

At the end of the day, it's a car. No animals were hurt in this transaction, no nuns were slaughtered, no children made homeless. Well, at least, not as far as I know.

Just my two pen'orth… Smiley

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 18:25:10 pm »

Lets not make bad feelings about this, after all it`s a free world (at least it`s supposed to be..) and trades on collectors items happen every day.
The only special thing about this deal, is that this car had a life and a on going history with Dave, now it has kind of gone to the "museum" and any changes to the car would be wrong.
Maybe we should look at this as a special happening, as we are seldom witnessing this "live" Wink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 18:26:47 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Lee.C

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 18:38:54 pm »

Oh brother… So, if you had the chance to buy a car of your dreams, you mean you wouldn't actually want to drive it? You'd really prefer to leave it half way round the world and would be happy to simply boast to people that you owned it? Come on, Lee, that stretches even my vivid imagination.

No I just wouldn't buy it in the first place - and its a COMPLETLY different case to the Chop Top, from what I understand the Chop Top had been sitting unloved for a few years with a broken rod - Not really the same as a freshly restored Car that had over 40 yrs of driving/racing/theft/history with it  Undecided

I just think its a REAL Shame Dave decided to let it go  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

(it might have been better if it wasn,t gonna get stuck in a lock up in scotland - the worlds WETTEST place!!!!)

jick

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 18:43:11 pm »

dont worry Lee,

we might occasionally get to see the car with or without prior notice....of the important cal-look type.

sorry guys....im just being an asshole as is my right. Smiley

leec

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 19:14:02 pm »

I can't believe the comments here!!

Well done Dave for building a car that most would love to own, and well done Russell for working hard to enable him to be
able to be in a position to purchase it.

No 'sucking up' here but just don't let things get to me/bother me about a simple car transaction where both the buyer and seller are perfectly happy, you don't hear  that very often these days!!

Lee

Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 19:17:05 pm »

I'm not going to take sides here, but sometimes parts of your past life begin to become just that: your past. If you don't have the same drive and interest as you did when you were younger, that's not 'sad', that's life. Ten or so years ago, I became really burnt out with my own car and instead of walking by it, seeing it covered in dust and pawprints and knowing I wasn't "into it" like I used to be was a sign something needed to happen. Thoughts of selling it came up. And while my car isn't anywhere as cool @ Dave's, nor had I owned it as long as he has (25 years this year though  Smiley), I know my Bug was one of the most important parts of my younger life. But I was ready, at that time, to let that part of me go. No big deal.
Some personal changes in my life brought me back around and I found I started enjoying "driving" and working on the car again. I emphasize "driving" because prior to this it all became so exhausting to work on it solely to "keep up with the Joneses." Now a days I couldn't care less if it's a tenth slower than so and so's car or mph off or whatever. That's what burnt me out.
I'd say, be happy this car was such an influence on the scene and all of us and be happy it is still a survivor, no matter where it is. Last time I saw the car was @ Fontana and it sure looked good.

Over and out
Jim R
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 19:26:43 pm »

AMEN.

Done ? Not Yet.
Brother Lovedub

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 19:31:35 pm »

it might have been better if it wasn,t gonna get stuck in a lock up in scotland - the worlds WETTEST place!!!!

So you don't actually have a problem with the transaction, just the destination..Huh  It would have been ok if the car was going somewhere sunny?? 

I'm loving the logic in this argument...  Roll Eyes
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 19:44:07 pm »

Well said, Jim. Dave's message to me was that even after the resto-repaint etc, the spark had gone.

I've been there in the past, and will probably be there again. It just happens sometimes. Do I regret selling certain cars? Maybe. Would I do it again? Probably.

It's called 'life'...

Now let's all relax and enjoy this short time we have on earth...

Lee.C

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 19:49:10 pm »

it might have been better if it wasn,t gonna get stuck in a lock up in scotland - the worlds WETTEST place!!!!

So you don't actually have a problem with the transaction, just the destination..Huh  It would have been ok if the car was going somewhere sunny?? 

I'm loving the logic in this argument...  Roll Eyes

Read what I wrote dude: "it MIGHT have been better"

At least there are a FEW guys that get it  Wink Cheesy

Jim Ratto

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2011, 20:04:02 pm »

Well said, Jim. Dave's message to me was that even after the resto-repaint etc, the spark had gone.

I've been there in the past, and will probably be there again. It just happens sometimes. Do I regret selling certain cars? Maybe. Would I do it again? Probably.

It's called 'life'...

same reason most of us don't sleep with a teddy bear any more. Except for Sarge.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2011, 20:10:30 pm »

I'm going to miss it dearly... along with all of the others that have made their way out of the States. Glad it's going in good hands though.

Cry

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2011, 20:16:03 pm »

It's called 'life'...

same reason most of us don't sleep with a teddy bear any more. Except for Sarge.

Grin well put Jim  
Lee WTF , way to go fella , let it all out . I don't think anyone's kissing up to Russell .
 If I had that sort of cash to go out and buy my own collection of looker's & gassers I bloody well would .
  Not just that but then to get them out for all to see and take em out to play  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2011, 21:08:46 pm »

way to go fellas! IMO it's good we speak up, it always is. i can only say it must've been a sad moment and decision for Dave to sell off his beloved cal-looker, and hey... Russell must've made him "an offer he could not resist"! Cheesy
i just think it's become sort of a moral responsibility for Russell to pull out the trailer for EBI 4 so we can all have a peek at the cars we only know from snapshots.  Grin

peace out Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2011, 21:16:00 pm »

AMEN.

Again and a sigh...  Roll Eyes

Done ? Not Yet.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 21:43:23 pm »

I think people are been dicks, it has nothing to do with you, your not in a position to influence it, but out.  I admit i am very jealous and when i win the Euro lottery tomorrow I will be banging on the lock-up in Scotland trying to get my hands on one of those cars.

But I know Russell is a top bloke and we all know it will be taken to shows and more importantly taken down the strip.  I still think it needs to be kept in North London where it will be closer to Santa Pod and also Europe, Oh I will even polish it Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: