The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 00:09:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  John luzenby's Butternutt 63 sedan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: John luzenby's Butternutt 63 sedan  (Read 32086 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 10:56:43 am »

If you are speaking of the finish of my "real mag" vs your aluminum copy I think a creative person could come close.  To me the challenge would be to get the blue hue of the polished areas, but I still think it can be done.  Beyond that I think the JGE copies are a great wheel and much more durable than the original Americans. 

Geoff gave me is secret trick to do an old magnesium look on my wheels , I am going to try to make this for the next season
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 12:33:49 pm »

Thanks for sharing the pics John. Have you got more infos/pictures about the grey late model convertible we can see behind your '63?

johnl

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2012, 16:02:51 pm »

Thanks for sharing the pics John. Have you got more infos/pictures about the grey late model convertible we can see behind your '63?

It wasn't "grey" but tan and it was also ours.  Here is the link to the story of Reggie the Rag Top:  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,16714.0.html

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2012, 16:39:34 pm »

If you are speaking of the finish of my "real mag" vs your aluminum copy I think a creative person could come close.  To me the challenge would be to get the blue hue of the polished areas, but I still think it can be done.  Beyond that I think the JGE copies are a great wheel and much more durable than the original Americans. 

Geoff gave me is secret trick to do an old magnesium look on my wheels , I am going to try to make this for the next season
 Wink

Please keep me posted on this as it could have a bearing on a wheel change for me in the future.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 18:56:05 pm »

It wasn't "grey" but tan and it was also ours.  Here is the link to the story of Reggie the Rag Top:  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,16714.0.html

Thanks John Cool I forgot about that thread.

Dyno-Don

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 21:41:01 pm »

The latest issue of Hot VW's arrived and in reading it I spotted the story on Shakey Jake, AKA Chuck Babbit, whom I knew back in the day.  I may have written about this before, but honestly don't remember, so here it is again.

When the Butternut car was complete Shakey was in the Costa Mesa Auto Haus Store one day and I happen to be there with my car.  We struck up a conversation about his striping talent.  I asked if he could do something different for me and he replied with, "What"?  I told him I'd like 2 ghost pin stripes down each side of the car basically where the trim had been previously been.  They had to be almost undetectable, which is about the opposite one wants with a pin strip.

He said he could handle that and so we took the front doors off the store and I drove the car in the main entry way.  As he did his magic a crowd gathered.  Within about 30 minutes the job was done and it was PERFECT.  In keeping with the entire theme of the car this was yet one suttle touch that no one had done and I can't say I've ever seen it duplicated on a VW to this day.

During my time at Auto Haus Costa Mesa we brought a few cars into the showroom for pinstripping by Shakey. I didn't know that yours had been the first as that was before I worked there. It's funny though, the first thing I visualized as I was reading that, before getting to the part about your ghost stripes, was how he used to lay down these very thin lines that looked like they were just floating on the paint, but very subtle. I particularly remember him doing a fairly dark maroon car that you had to look twice to even see the stripes - although unlike yours, it seems many of them were single stripes - maybe. When I got this current '66 I was first planning on leaving the side trim, but as I thought back and looked at some of my old photos, I thought no, I need to do it like Shakey did it!
The other funny thing about Shakey was he used to sign his invoices as Ed G. Farnsworth - so I called him Edgy. And if you remember Kerry Morse from Troutman and Barnes he used to sign his Harry P. Clapsaddle and say his was from Fishbeck (Fish, Trout, get it?)
johnl

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2012, 04:08:15 am »

The latest issue of Hot VW's arrived and in reading it I spotted the story on Shakey Jake, AKA Chuck Babbit, whom I knew back in the day.  I may have written about this before, but honestly don't remember, so here it is again.

When the Butternut car was complete Shakey was in the Costa Mesa Auto Haus Store one day and I happen to be there with my car.  We struck up a conversation about his striping talent.  I asked if he could do something different for me and he replied with, "What"?  I told him I'd like 2 ghost pin stripes down each side of the car basically where the trim had been previously been.  They had to be almost undetectable, which is about the opposite one wants with a pin strip.

He said he could handle that and so we took the front doors off the store and I drove the car in the main entry way.  As he did his magic a crowd gathered.  Within about 30 minutes the job was done and it was PERFECT.  In keeping with the entire theme of the car this was yet one suttle touch that no one had done and I can't say I've ever seen it duplicated on a VW to this day.

During my time at Auto Haus Costa Mesa we brought a few cars into the showroom for pinstripping by Shakey. I didn't know that yours had been the first as that was before I worked there. It's funny though, the first thing I visualized as I was reading that, before getting to the part about your ghost stripes, was how he used to lay down these very thin lines that looked like they were just floating on the paint, but very subtle. I particularly remember him doing a fairly dark maroon car that you had to look twice to even see the stripes - although unlike yours, it seems many of them were single stripes - maybe. When I got this current '66 I was first planning on leaving the side trim, but as I thought back and looked at some of my old photos, I thought no, I need to do it like Shakey did it!
The other funny thing about Shakey was he used to sign his invoices as Ed G. Farnsworth - so I called him Edgy. And if you remember Kerry Morse from Troutman and Barnes he used to sign his Harry P. Clapsaddle and say his was from Fishbeck (Fish, Trout, get it?)

I was very fortunate to live in the times of Brads, Beckers, Flakey Jake, Fleming & Aronson (Pre FAT) and of course Auto Haus.  We will never see those times again....   Sad Sad Sad Sad

johnl

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2013, 19:55:27 pm »

Yes, I know this post is old but the story continues.  This past weekend at the Classic I was stopped in my tracks when I saw the color on this Split.  It wasn't exactly Warbonnet Yellow like on my Butternut car, BUT it was close. 

I stopped and chatted with the owner (nice guy with an accent) and asked what the color was.  He replied with "HomeDepot" and then explained he likes colors that no one has.  After spending time in the paint department of HomeDepot he came up with this color.

The car was beautifully done, but every Split in that line was of excellent quality.  Attached is the photo of this car along with a shot of my original car.  You make the decision on how close they are.....

RockStock

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2013, 20:38:43 pm »

Looks like it's Brit Pip Hancox's fresh 52...a DBK car

what an ACE colour

See
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=297021&start=8840
&
http://www.dbkvw.com/

Pip also did a cool colour on a Squareback
http://www.dbkvw.com/photos/pip_hancox_rides/
Which may I say links quite closely to this thread
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,20881.0.html
TyeDyeBug

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2013, 21:46:13 pm »

love the color, sweet split!
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2013, 22:37:30 pm »

He replied with "HomeDepot" and then explained he likes colors that no one has.  After spending time in the paint department of HomeDepot he came up with this color.

I don't doubt his story but the color he chose looks a lot like WE5202 Ochre, a '70-'74 GM fleet color.

I admire his pluck for going outside the VW rainbow for a color. I also admire his good taste: we just painted my wife's Baja Ochre. That'll make for an interesting photo! Grin

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: