The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  John luzenby's Butternutt 63 sedan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: John luzenby's Butternutt 63 sedan  (Read 31686 times)
Derjava66

« on: March 08, 2011, 04:13:45 am »

Hey guys I am on a search to find some detailed pictures of John Luzenby of Dkp 1's 63 sedan known as butternutt. I would love if I could get ahould of some pics of the interior as well as the engine compartment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. you can post them here or send them to my email adress. thanks in advance
Eric
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:27:36 am »

Hey guys I am on a search to find some detailed pictures of John Luzenby of Dkp 1's 63 sedan known as butternutt. I would love if I could get ahould of some pics of the interior as well as the engine compartment. Any help would be greatly appreciated. you can post them here or send them to my email adress. thanks in advance
Eric

Hey Eric

Use the search function to get you started. There's quite a few pics of John's car on here. His last name is Lazenby .

John is a regular participant here too.

Rick

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:43:47 am »

Ditto what Rick posted... you should (in theory) have no problem finding that on this site, Eric. Such a cool car!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:47:26 am »

eric i never seen any pictures of the engine compartment and of the inside of the car , john posted some pictures of the 63 before it was paint in butternut

rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
butterskotch

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 14:24:31 pm »

Hey,
I've been researching this car for a good few years and are still to come across any photos on the engine or inside.
The reason I have been after the photos for so long is that I'm currently in the process of build a replica/car inspiried by the original.
I've been building the car for the last 8 - 10 years on and off and its currently in the fitting up stage.  I've only had the fully painted shell back for 2 months from my friend who painted it the correct colour  Wink

Heres a few shots of the car, and yes it's definately the correct Corvette Warbonnet Yellow paint even tho it looks completely different in the photos.  Its a colour that changes in different lights.

Bring the shell home

Slow process of bolting it all together.

If you really need the shots of the original Butternut, you'd be best messaging John Lazenby on here and asking him if he has any.  I did ask him the same questions in about 2002 but at the time he couldnt remember if he had any.  He did however give me a great detail discription on the interior and the engine combinations he ran.
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 14:38:51 pm »

Here's a shot of the asthmatic Holley two-barrel combo John ran for a short time...

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 14:40:54 pm »

Before it was Butternutt, it was Firemist Green...

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 14:50:13 pm »

Always liked that shot of John in the sunroof when the car was green, Sarge. Classic!

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 15:56:16 pm »

Here's a shot of the asthmatic Holley two-barrel combo John ran for a short time...

bro is that your old engine who was in the 63 Huh

fabs  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 16:07:37 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 16:12:44 pm »

Hey,
I've been researching this car for a good few years and are still to come across any photos on the engine or inside.
The reason I have been after the photos for so long is that I'm currently in the process of build a replica/car inspiried by the original.
I've been building the car for the last 8 - 10 years on and off and its currently in the fitting up stage.  I've only had the fully painted shell back for 2 months from my friend who painted it the correct colour  Wink

Heres a few shots of the car, and yes it's definately the correct Corvette Warbonnet Yellow paint even tho it looks completely different in the photos.  Its a colour that changes in different lights.

Bring the shell home

If you really need the shots of the original Butternut, you'd be best messaging John Lazenby on here and asking him if he has any.  I did ask him the same questions in about 2002 but at the time he couldnt remember if he had any.  He did however give me a great detail discription on the interior and the engine combinations he ran.

car looks good ,don't forget to post the works
thx fabs
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 16:19:28 pm by speedwell » Logged

Sarge

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 16:23:02 pm »

fabs  Wink

No.... a lot of us ran the same set-up back then.

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 16:28:51 pm »

fabs  Wink

No.... a lot of us ran the same set-up back then.

i said that because  stickers are in the same and the coil is in the same place too Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 16:36:58 pm by speedwell » Logged

Neil Davies

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 16:45:50 pm »

Hey,

Afternoon Brad! Is that the third paint job or the fourth?  Wink Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 16:46:28 pm »

Such a delicious looking car that is. The only Beetle I've seen that looks right with no bumpers whatsoever.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 17:33:18 pm »

Hey,

Bring the shell home

Wow... that's nice!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 17:39:57 pm »

Okay guys, I'm here and will try to fill in some blanks.  First, Jim, this is not my engine or my car.  The 69x88 with the BugSpray was only in the car when it was Firemist Green.  I never had aluminium panels in the compartment and never had my coil mounted off the fan housing.  I suspect this may be Mike (Lar Lar) Larsen's car which was also a gold, but a later example.  I'm thinking about a 1968 vintage.  I don't know if Lar Lar is on this site, but I see him at Nick's on a regular basis.  I'll check to see if I can contact him for further verification.

I'll respond to more of this in future post.

John

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 17:51:09 pm »

Always liked that shot of John in the sunroof when the car was green, Sarge. Classic!

I remember that day as if it were yesterday.   Grin  Little did I know that Jim (Sarge) was documenting history and has continued to do so all of these years.  This era with Jim and the other guys holds a very special place in my heart and I thank him (Jim) so much for making the effort to take these photos.  Over the years I've actually driven to Pinehurst St. in La Habra and savored the memories.  Great times and a great friend I've been gifted with.  Oh, and his sister Mary Ann was a real sweetie and would be the other special girl friend in my life besides my number one girl, Christie.

I've been blessed with a good memory, but Jim had the vision to document so much history that has become so important to me and I hope others in these later years.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 17:55:53 pm »

Eric

Eric and all,  I'm still looking as the one thing I now realize that I didn't do well was document this kind of stuff.  I can see the interior in great detail and can tell it to you, but it still is not like a photo.  I'm not saying there aren't any photos, but I do remember some and hopefully just haven't found them yet.

Should anyone want detailed information on the interior or engine compartment, please as the specifics and I'll do my best to provide the answers.

Sarge

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 18:06:48 pm »

Okay guys, I'm here and will try to fill in some blanks.  First, Jim, this is not my engine or my car.  The 69x88 with the BugSpray was only in the car when it was Firemist Green.  I never had aluminium panels in the compartment and never had my coil mounted off the fan housing.  I suspect this may be Mike (Lar Lar) Larsen's car which was also a gold, but a later example.  I'm thinking about a 1968 vintage.  I don't know if Lar Lar is on this site, but I see him at Nick's on a regular basis.  I'll check to see if I can contact him for further verification.

John

WOW, I would have sworn that was your motor.... but you'd know better then me! Embarrassed  From the date of the pic, it has to be Larson's rig... you had IDA's by then.

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 18:15:24 pm »

The photos of the recreation are GREAT  Cool Cool Cool Cool  The only thing I can see that is definitely different are the Nerf Bars.  I never had them and to this day am still not a fan of them.  Originally all bumper holes were filled along with the exhaust ports and side and hood trim. 

Within a year or so after the car was done and in use I was stopped by the Anaheim Police on Harbor just below Disneyland and when the "young" officer got out I can still hear him saying "I hate to do this to you, but you have got to have bumpers".  An equipment ticket was writ en and the car went back to Becker's Bug House and the main bracket holes were opened and I installed a straight blade.

This is what I refer to as the beginning of the end for me as I thought it just destroyed the clean look of the car that I'd tried to achieve and it wasn't to long after that the car went up for sale and in a short time it was gone.  I've told the story before, but the car with a 78.4 Okrasa with 88's, 42 DCNF9 Webers, Ron Fleming heads, S&S headers, (5) real American's, Becker's paint job (second one in the Warbonnet Gold), Brad's interior including a custom sunroof, complete trunk with a separate storage for valuables and a custom bra in the same brown as the sunroof and the list goes on and on went away for $1600.  Pardon me while I throw up  Angry Angry Angry Angry

Within six months the new owner had rolled the car and it was destroyed.  Roger Grago and some others were able to salvage some of the parts including the wheels.  I saw the car sitting in a yard and it made me sick.  That was 10.5 years of my life GONE.....

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 18:36:05 pm »

Ouch Cry

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
johnl

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 18:58:14 pm »

John

WOW, I would have sworn that was your motor.... but you'd know better then me! Embarrassed  From the date of the pic, it has to be Larson's rig... you had IDA's by then.
As I remember I never had that power pully, only a real Santana.  There are more items that I just wouldn't have done.  Yes, when the car became the Butternut car it did have 48's on tall EMPI manifolds.

butterskotch

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 12:19:01 pm »

Posted on: March 08, 2011, 16:45:50 PM
Posted by: Neil Davies

Afternoon Brad! Is that the third paint job or the fourth?  

Hey Neil,
This is the 3rd time the cars been painted this colour and it still hasn't seen the road. Think I might have OCD when it comes to building this car! Grin
The paint job this time round really is that much better than the previous 2, plus i know for certain that it is the right colour now. Just a shame a had to wait 18 months for the paint job to be done, you cant rush your mates now can you! Wink

Brad
butterskotch

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:38 pm »

The photos of the recreation are GREAT  Cool Cool Cool Cool  The only thing I can see that is definitely different are the Nerf Bars.  I never had them and to this day am still not a fan of them.  Originally all bumper holes were filled along with the exhaust ports and side and hood trim. 

Within a year or so after the car was done and in use I was stopped by the Anaheim Police on Harbor just below Disneyland and when the "young" officer got out I can still hear him saying "I hate to do this to you, but you have got to have bumpers".  An equipment ticket was writ en and the car went back to Becker's Bug House and the main bracket holes were opened and I installed a straight blade.

This is what I refer to as the beginning of the end for me as I thought it just destroyed the clean look of the car that I'd tried to achieve and it wasn't to long after that the car went up for sale and in a short time it was gone.  I've told the story before, but the car with a 78.4 Okrasa with 88's, 42 DCNF9 Webers, Ron Fleming heads, S&S headers, (5) real American's, Becker's paint job (second one in the Warbonnet Gold), Brad's interior including a custom sunroof, complete trunk with a separate storage for valuables and a custom bra in the same brown as the sunroof and the list goes on and on went away for $1600.  Pardon me while I throw up  Angry Angry Angry Angry

Within six months the new owner had rolled the car and it was destroyed.  Roger Grago and some others were able to salvage some of the parts including the wheels.  I saw the car sitting in a yard and it made me sick.  That was 10.5 years of my life GONE.....

Hey John,

Thanks for the kind words, if my car turns out half as nice as what yours was then I'll be a happy chap. 
There are a few noticeable changes on my car, the 1st as you pointed out are the rentension of the bumper holes, as i do like tbars and by having the holes there still it will allow me to change my mind and change the look of the car every now and then (plus i made both sets of Ali t bars and Ali towing eye brackets for the car).

The 2nd noticeable change on mine is the placement of the front turn signals, I still have the Lucas turn signalsbut they are located slightly lower down the wing than what yours were. Mine are in the more traditional area of where the horn grills used to be, just my preference that's all.

The 3rd noticeable change from your will be the A1 muffler which will b visible at the rear of the car. This might change as let depending on how it looks and if i can find a muffler set i think is better.

Other than this the car should look very very similar to how yours looked from the outside.

Underneath the car however will be different to yours.  I have a rancho gearbox in there at the mo and i have a fully built 2276 ida motor built by Matt Keene waiting to go in the back.  There will also be a lot of small detail work on the car too, like the hand made Ali brake scoops, 1 off Ali glove box and loads of other bits too.

All I've got to do now is put it together....
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 15:13:27 pm by butterskotch » Logged
butterskotch

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:49:03 pm »

Wow... that's nice!

car looks good ,don't forget to post the works
thx fabs

Thanks guys for the kind words. Ive been meaning to do a build thread on this for a while now,as ive easily got a several hundred photos of the build process so far,its just finding the time. I'll get a thread started soon guys  Wink

Brad
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:50:40 pm by butterskotch » Logged
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 17:24:38 pm »

Nice looking car !! More pictures would be great !! Again nice job !!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 18:30:52 pm »

Hey John,

Thanks for the kind words, if my car turns out half as nice as what yours was then I'll be a happy chap. 
There are a few noticeable changes on my car, the 1st as you pointed out are the rentension of the bumper holes, as i do like tbars and by having the holes there still it will allow me to change my mind and change the look of the car every now and then (plus i made both sets of Ali t bars and Ali towing eye brackets for the car).

The 2nd noticeable change on mine is the placement of the front turn signals, I still have the Lucas turn signalsbut they are located slightly lower down the wing than what yours were. Mine are in the more traditional area of where the horn grills used to be, just my preference that's all.

The 3rd noticeable change from your will be the A1 muffler which will b visible at the rear of the car. This might change as let depending on how it looks and if i can find a muffler set i think is better.

Other than this the car should look very very similar to how yours looked from the outside.

Underneath the car however will be different to yours.  I have a rancho gearbox in there at the mo and i have a fully built 2276 ida motor built by Matt Keene waiting to go in the back.  There will also be a lot of small detail work on the car too, like the hand made Ali brake scoops, 1 off Ali glove box and loads of other bits too.

brad you forgot the 4th point , the car is an RHD....... Grin Grin Grin Grin

johnl

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 20:25:07 pm »

Hey John,

« Last Edit: Today at 06:13:27 by butterskotch »   

Change and updates are good.  I'm sure yours will come out far better than mine ever was and I'm honored that your chose my efforts to duplicate.  Last night Christie assured me that there are interior photos of the car that we took along with many other details.  If so I haven't seen them in years, but we will continue to search and should they appear I'll post them.

vwcab

peter

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 21:23:45 pm »

That's gonna be a great looker,I'll be on the lookout to read and see the pics in the "build"thread.
 Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: