The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 05:27:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Diederick's '67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print
Author Topic: Diederick's '67  (Read 141901 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2011, 21:06:51 pm »

it seems as though my idleness has come to an end. yesterday i got lucky and my trusty helper, who happens to be my girlfriend, spent some quality time with me in the garage:

some time later:

then, i had to take care of the engine bay as unfortunately it was neglected during the respray a few years ago. i chose to go with an old school finish that closely resembles the zolatone finish.

today we're off to put in some more hours. any advice regarding the wiring is appreciated. there's quite a loom of wires going both ways, and it like to have it look a little more clean...

hopefully next week we'll install the 1915 - a moment that, to say the least, has been due for way too long.

Your a lucky man! How on earth did you get ANY work done with a honey like that hanging around  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #331 on: April 06, 2011, 01:58:38 am »

YES! That turned out really nice, Nico. Good job to your girl and you. Love the shots with her, too. If I were you... I'd have one of those framed in the home.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #332 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:19 am »

YES! That turned out really nice, Nico. Good job to your girl and you. Love the shots with her, too. If I were you... I'd have one of those framed in the home.

Thanks Mark, but I don't know if Diederick will appreciate it if I put a pictures of his girlfriend in my home. And my girlfriend may not like that too...  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Grin Grin Wink

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #333 on: April 06, 2011, 10:57:12 am »

Thanks Mark, but I don't know if Diederick will appreciate it if I put a pictures of his girlfriend in my home. And my girlfriend may not like that too...  Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Grin Grin Wink

Grin Grin Grin

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #334 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:23 am »

whoopsie daisy  Grin
coincidentally, she bought some frames a few days ago. guess it could pull a 4x6" out of it  Smiley

gonna order me some Brad Penn oil now so we can get cracking this weekend.
also, i'll see what wiring solutions my local car parts store has to neaten the engine bay!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #335 on: April 06, 2011, 13:55:32 pm »

Oops! My apologies, gentlemen... I didn't type that correctly. I was trying to compliment Nico on the pics and was suggesting to Died to print the photos.

Good catch on my typo. HAHA!! At any rate, the car is looking really nice, Died.

~Sarge
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #336 on: April 06, 2011, 15:20:05 pm »

no problem, Mark  Wink
and thanks Lee, she'd been offering to help me for a long time. Smiley
i'd point at a bolt or screw and she'd undo it in no time, real handy, haha!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2011, 17:16:48 pm »

so what are the exact specs of yer 1915, Died? Wink

Sorry, I forgot about this one, the specs. I'd like to think of it as an old school 1835, big cam (w130), 40x35 heads, dual QPs and IDAs.
But frankly, the true mastermind behind the engine is Jim Ratto. I'm merely an apprentice following the recipe  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2011, 17:55:22 pm »

Hi Died, does M&S, have al the Brad Penn oils in stock now ?

Thanks,
Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2011, 18:01:43 pm »

yup, just got off the phone with David an hour ago, a friendly "Rotterdammer" who provided me with a lot of info, too.
he also told me that since Brad Penn 20w50 is only good for 5,000km, he's also got Gulf Maxi Plus in stock in case you want a longer lasting (good crude, 1500ppm) oil. just sayin Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2011, 20:19:49 pm »

yup, just got off the phone with David an hour ago, a friendly "Rotterdammer" who provided me with a lot of info, too.
he also told me that since Brad Penn 20w50 is only good for 5,000km, he's also got Gulf Maxi Plus in stock in case you want a longer lasting (good crude, 1500ppm) oil. just sayin Wink
Thanks, Died. Now Get'R Done Dude Cool

« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 16:11:02 pm by Harry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2011, 21:44:26 pm »

Will pick up te oil tomorrow Died! My plan is to get that mouse engine of yours running at the end of saturday  Cool

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #342 on: April 09, 2011, 20:22:17 pm »

We've been busy bees today, thanks go out to my brother Chris and clubmate Jesse. We finished some last bits on the engine, flywheel endplay (.30mm according to KS's interchange manual specs), clutch and KEP plate, replaced the starter, finished painting the engine bay. We also cleaned up some of the wiring, installed the breather box well out of sight.

Just gotta finish match porting the intakes and install the engine, install the top-end and break-in the engine.  Smiley

Here's Jesse filling up the engine with Brad Penn Straight 30 break-in oil. It's got 3 quarts in it now, looks like 4 quart will do with the 1.5qt sump to reach at least the lower mark on the dipstick. Or should the oil level be higher for the break-in? I've got 5 quarts anyhow...

Just gotta decide where to mount the Holley Regulator. I'd prefer to mount it on the back of the fanshroud instead of the firewall, tips are welcomed  Wink

Will continue tomorrow @ 9 am  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2011, 21:55:36 pm »

we made progress today but we encountered the usual issues that stall the process, so we only got to test for oil pressure and finished as much as we could on the engine. we got 4 bar oil pressure when cranking, some may have seen the clip on facebook.  Smiley

my brother chris played his fumio role well and took care of the porting the intakes, as well as the dash electrics (fancy oil gauge i had stashed away)!
while jesse and i installed the engine, which took a lot longer than we expected as the clutch wasn't aligned properly even though we used a tool to install that all yesterday. so after excluding all other options we got it fixed but lost a lot of time. however we did as much as we could've done hardly taking a break  Wink

engine in. those IDA look big in real life  Grin plus the engine looks really narrow with the reversed empi intakes  Cheesy :

no more speedometer:

last pic of the day:

left to do are 2 more fuel lines, plugs and ignition, generator and valvetrain install.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rennsurfer

« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2011, 22:31:57 pm »

Cool! Really liking the dash layout and the black manifolds. Looking good, Died!

~Sarge
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #345 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

thanks Mark! I meant to say that my 914 speedo (which was on the left) has been replaced with a cool 911 combi oil gauge.

it's such great, rewarding work to mount and install the engine with care and quality parts  Grin

those black manifolds are original empi items and the IDAs sit reversed and real close to the shroud. they make the engine look very narrow.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:14:20 am by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
wolfswest

« Reply #346 on: April 11, 2011, 09:34:08 am »

Soon, I'm not the only one to terrorise the brouwersdam parking lot!  Grin  GO GO GO!

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Lee.C

« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2011, 10:29:45 am »

Dude I am seriously impressed!!!!!!! That engine is gonna be AWESOME  Grin It looks REALLY cool too,

Looks like all my hints/tips/advise paid off  Wink Smiley

By the way Who did you get to Re-work/rebuild your Magneto (to work with a normal tacho etc) Huh

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2011, 12:42:38 pm »

Cool looking engine Died! But a magneto on a street car's engine!? That's like putting a M3 body kit on your 320d!  Cheesy

Glitter don't make you faster.
Lee.C

« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »

Cool looking engine Died! But a magneto on a street car's engine!? That's like putting a M3 body kit on your 320d!  Cheesy

What wrong with the Magneto dude  Huh I thought you'd be down with that look  Undecided Smiley

(I think they look AWESOME! Wink)

roland

« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2011, 13:45:37 pm »

They belong on race engines with no cooling and no alternator/generator.

On a street engine they look silly & they don't belong since they have no use. I don't think you'll find a pic of a street car's engine with a magneto in "the bible"... Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2011, 14:05:49 pm »

On a street engine they look silly & they don't belong since they have no use. I don't think you'll find a pic of a street car's engine with a magneto in "the bible"... Wink

Fair point dude BUT I think you'll find the Goss Chop Top originally had one  Undecided Wink Smiley

roland

« Reply #352 on: April 14, 2011, 15:59:52 pm »

oh well... never liked that car anyways..  Cheesy

team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2011, 16:26:13 pm »

Tell Dave Mason they don't belong on a street car and that they are silly, then he'll show you a time slip!

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2011, 16:29:33 pm »

Glad you like it, Lee! I suppose, in your own words, great minds think alike  Grin
I didn't get the magneto rebuilt though, it's a locked-out mag wired through a Joe Hunt signal converter. Might wire in my Autometer Pro Control, too.

Roland, I'm only glad we're not all running a Bosch 010 or MSD setup. I like doing things differently every now and then  Wink
I'm all about the look of the old days and I gather inspiration from different cars and such. So, I suppose you could see my '67 as a compilation of some cal-look cars from different eras if that makes any sense.  Undecided

Gonna work on the engine tomorrow, to fire it up this Saturday.
Tomorrow I'll see if I can make fuel lines, clean up and connect some wiring, assemble the fan-generator-pulley thingies, mount the shroud, throw in spark plugs, set timing, slide in some pushrods, assemble the rocker arms and set the valve lash. I'll see how far I get and the rest will be wrapped on Saturday I hope.

Then, I gotta sort out that annoying right side rear axle bearing and take it for a short test drive  Shocked

Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Lee.C

« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2011, 21:42:19 pm »

Glad you like it, Lee! I suppose, in your own words, great minds think alike  Grin
I didn't get the magneto rebuilt though, it's a locked-out mag wired through a Joe Hunt signal converter. Might wire in my Autometer Pro Control, too.

Roland, I'm only glad we're not all running a Bosch 010 or MSD setup. I like doing things differently every now and then  Wink
I'm all about the look of the old days and I gather inspiration from different cars and such. So, I suppose you could see my '67 as a compilation of some cal-look cars from different eras if that makes any sense.  Undecided

Gonna work on the engine tomorrow, to fire it up this Saturday.
Tomorrow I'll see if I can make fuel lines, clean up and connect some wiring, assemble the fan-generator-pulley thingies, mount the shroud, throw in spark plugs, set timing, slide in some pushrods, assemble the rocker arms and set the valve lash. I'll see how far I get and the rest will be wrapped on Saturday I hope.

Then, I gotta sort out that annoying right side rear axle bearing and take it for a short test drive  Shocked

Wink

Yep great minds dude  Wink

Be very carefull with the dyno pulley etc I have seen way to many come apart! Use an Original VW pulley is my best advise,

Cant wait for a drive in this little baby  Grin

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2011, 21:48:48 pm »

I got a pair of itchy hands (is that correct english  Huh ) to work on it this Saturday Diederick! Just a few bits to finish before burning up the neighbourhood Cheesy.

See ya Saturday!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #357 on: April 15, 2011, 01:02:48 am »

i've got a bit of an itch, too  Cheesy
let's not break the gearbox, shall we?  Wink
see ya there and then!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Hotrodvw

« Reply #358 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:17 am »

Regulator mounted on th eback of my 36hp shroud..........fits nice, works like a peach.   Wink

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #359 on: April 17, 2011, 16:20:40 pm »

the project is not going well, so I had to open a topic over here:  HELP!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: