The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 10:17:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Diederick's '67
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Diederick's '67  (Read 142276 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2007, 21:52:02 pm »

big update coming up tomorrow (and the day after)  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 23:32:36 pm »

This morning:

10 pm:

Need I say much more?  Wink

I hope we'll get there in time  Roll Eyes Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2007, 01:05:30 am »

Car Looks Great Glad to see you filled the rear apron is the color Java Green?   

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2007, 06:38:27 am »

Thanks shubee!
Yes it is java green, it's been painted with a sort of old style paint to get the authentic look.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 11:17:32 am »

WOW!! Beautifull!! Hang in there and get it to Bug-In!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 13:33:23 pm »

Looks great D!  But, you won't see this until later since you are out in the garage putting your car together, right???

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Paulus

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 21:45:52 pm »

Looks very good Died. !!
Again GOOD LUCK with finishing your car before EBI  Wink See you there !

Less is More !
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2007, 23:45:26 pm »

This morning:

And 12 hours later:

I'm completely knackered, all my muscles ache.

But I hope you can dig the result  Cool

I've just got one big problem now, after my 40 min drive home my engine was covered with oil drops.
Now, i know that little tube attached to the oil filler is "open" on both sides, but could that be the problem?
Or could it be, could it be that...  Cheesy -sorry- i need a breather box? I mean i'm driving to Chimay on friday and I don't want to mess up/break my car or engine  Embarrassed

The other issue left are my windows in the doors that haven't been installed yet, is there anyone that would volunteer at EBI?  Grin Wink

Good nigh!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2007, 23:53:09 pm »

Looks great D!  But, you won't see this until later since you are out in the garage putting your car together, right???

you bet, mike  Wink

didn't you have the oil issue as well?
what did you do to it? and did you have the same oil tube that goes all the way down towards the exhaust?

thanks paul  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
javabug

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2007, 01:51:13 am »

I really, really like it.  Are the windows going to be one-piece, or vent wings?  I've been back and forth on de-chroming my car when the time comes.  This helps.   Cool

I do have a similar oil problem, altho yours seems to appear quicker?  Mine was very bad during a 3-hour drive.  If I am out for about an hour, its not really a problem.  I have not done anything yet, but I would say prepare to work up a breather setup.  My oil filler tube is gone, I have the 3-prong screw-in cap with a fitting on the end.

Oh yeah...notice any difference with the "upgraded" engine?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2007, 04:53:58 am »

This morning:

And 12 hours later:

I'm completely knackered, all my muscles ache.

But I hope you can dig the result  Cool

I've just got one big problem now, after my 40 min drive home my engine was covered with oil drops.
Now, i know that little tube attached to the oil filler is "open" on both sides, but could that be the problem?
Or could it be, could it be that...  Cheesy -sorry- i need a breather box? I mean i'm driving to Chimay on friday and I don't want to mess up/break my car or engine  Embarrassed

The other issue left are my windows in the doors that haven't been installed yet, is there anyone that would volunteer at EBI?  Grin Wink

Good nigh!
If you take the Oil cap off with the engine running Dose it have much Blow By or Pressure?? If it Dose it could be that you did not stager the ring gaps or you might have Broke a Ring Putting the barrels on I would do a Compression check First a Breather box might help but for your size motor it should not need one

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #101 on: June 28, 2007, 08:41:48 am »

Shubee, I'll try that first thing! I hope it's not a piston ring though....  Embarrassed
On the other hand i remember i put in too much oil, and if you check the oil level it indicates that the level is above the highest stripe on the dipstick.

Mike, they're vent wings and it's in on the right side, but the slide mechanism isn't. I wonder whether i'll get that done before EBI. Also, I now regret not having dechromed the car. I still need to put the trim on, but it looks so good like this.
Well I can't do anything about it anymore, so I should stop thinking about it  Wink

I definitely noticed a difference during my first drive. But i broke the accelerator cabe 2 months ago and I forgot. So i noticed when we put the cable all the way in the linkage but then the idle was like 2000rpm. But i could go full throttle and man those kadrons make some noise. Before going home we adjusted it and the idle is a bit lower but i can't go full throttle now...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 08:57:16 am by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Tim C

« Reply #102 on: June 28, 2007, 09:08:35 am »

Looking super cool Diederick! Good work!  Cool

JG54 Greenhearts
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2007, 12:17:29 pm »

Shubee, I'll try that first thing! I hope it's not a piston ring though....  Embarrassed
On the other hand i remember i put in too much oil, and if you check the oil level it indicates that the level is above the highest stripe on the dipstick.

Mike, they're vent wings and it's in on the right side, but the slide mechanism isn't. I wonder whether i'll get that done before EBI. Also, I now regret not having dechromed the car. I still need to put the trim on, but it looks so good like this.
Well I can't do anything about it anymore, so I should stop thinking about it  Wink

I definitely noticed a difference during my first drive. But i broke the accelerator cabe 2 months ago and I forgot. So i noticed when we put the cable all the way in the linkage but then the idle was like 2000rpm. But i could go full throttle and man those kadrons make some noise. Before going home we adjusted it and the idle is a bit lower but i can't go full throttle now...
The other thing it could be is the metal Defector plate between the case and the alternator stand it could be in wrong and it is letting the oil getting sprayed up off the cam and crank gears to much oil can do it too  just some things to check
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 13:30:33 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
javabug

« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2007, 12:41:04 pm »

I can't even see the trim holes in the pic.  I really thought you went for it. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2007, 13:02:49 pm »

I know Mike, you should go for it cos i regret it big time.

Shubee, I think i lost quite a bit of oil already... like half a litre i guess.
Are there any things i could check without having to take the engine out and apart?
I'm gonna see if i can find a breather box i guess, i need to get some parts now anyways...

Could that be of any help?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2007, 13:42:24 pm »

I know Mike, you should go for it cos i regret it big time.

Shubee, I think i lost quite a bit of oil already... like half a litre i guess.
Are there any things i could check without having to take the engine out and apart?
I'm gonna see if i can find a breather box i guess, i need to get some parts now anyways...

Could that be of any help?
The other thing it could be is the metal Defector plate between the case and the alternator stand it could be in wrong and it is letting the oil getting sprayed up off the cam and crank gears to much oil can do it too  just some things to check  With to much oil in the motor it will try to blow it out anywhere it can Hope fully thats all it is Did you check it with the oil cap off? dose it have Pressure?  can you tell where the oil is coming from? is it coming from behind the Pulley?  it could be the Oil Slinger on the crank  is missing or on backwards It is hard to say these are just things it could be not saying they are but a Compression check might tell you if its a ring   A question are you running the stock oil fller and cap? if so to you have a hose going from the top oil filler tube to the right air cleaner base? or do you have the vent caped off?  The Motor has to be vented some how or it will blow oil everywhere  I hope its nothing major  keep in Touch.. let me know what you find

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2007, 22:13:26 pm »

hi shubee,

thanks a lot for helping me out! i can't really tell where the oil is coming from, something tells me it is also coming from behind the pulley, but i didn't split the case though it could be the aftermarket pulley i'm running.

furthermore, i'm gonna let it run with the cap off in a minute, but i can already feel some pressure coming out of the top of little tube next to the filler cap cos there is no hose connected to it:

EDIT : i also bought some used valve covers with those things for breather hoses, but i have no breather box or anything.

what should i do?  Undecided
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 22:19:56 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2007, 22:34:36 pm »

hi shubee,

thanks a lot for helping me out! i can't really tell where the oil is coming from, something tells me it is also coming from behind the pulley, but i didn't split the case though it could be the aftermarket pulley i'm running.

furthermore, i'm gonna let it run with the cap off in a minute, but i can already feel some pressure coming out of the top of little tube next to the filler cap cos there is no hose connected to it:

EDIT : i also bought some used valve covers with those things for breather hoses, but i have no breather box or anything.

what should i do?  Undecided
if you have Pressure I would do a compression test also a leak down test to see if compression is getting by the rings and causing the Crankcase pressure  if it is a new Pulley that was not on the motor before it could also be leaking oil from behind the pulley but that wont cause crankcase pressure you can try a breather box but that is not going to fix the problem it may keep it from leaking for a while but if you have a broken ring or you could have even lost a wrist pin c clip which will  wear a groove in the barrel also causing pressure with any of the things I mentioned your motor will also not have the power it should due to loss of compression   I hope its not  anything to Bad but do check what I told you..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:13:41 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2007, 01:08:45 am »

ok, i got the accelerator cable hooked up, but due to time right now which is 2 am i didn't get to fire up the engine.
although it seems to be a lot smoother now  Smiley

i'll get to the windows and oil issue tomorrow morning.
shubee, i think it may be my aftermarket pulley that is causing the leak...  Undecided

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
javabug

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2007, 02:56:27 am »

Motor looks good in the car!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2007, 03:19:40 am »

ok, i got the accelerator cable hooked up, but due to time right now which is 2 am i didn't get to fire up the engine.
although it seems to be a lot smoother now  Smiley

i'll get to the windows and oil issue tomorrow morning.
shubee, i think it may be my aftermarket pulley that is causing the leak...  Undecided
The problem with the Aftermarket pulleys is they are mostly made in China the groves that are cut in them to retain the oil are cut closer to the pulley and a lot of time the oil is flung out instead of going back in to the case the only Pulley to run is an old santana or a Berg Pulley they are a little more money but well worth the Money Good Luck and  let me know what you find

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2007, 08:41:55 am »

well, this is a good lesson i'm learning here  Wink

but could it do much harm to the engine? of course i need to keep checking the oil level...
or is there any way i could stop it?

the problem is that i noticed the thread in the crank for the pulley bolt is pretty worn as well. so it's not like it's an easy swap i guess.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2007, 10:14:24 am »

ok, i adjusted the accelerator cable and i can definitely go full throttle  Shocked
but the idle is still way too high!! how do i adjust the carbs and push/pull mechanism correctly?

but there NO way i can go to EBI like this, the oil drips out like crazy and it's just get toasted on the merged header  Sad
i really need to put in another pulley. but forgot my other one at jeepee's place.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2007, 14:08:48 pm »

Some of the Aftermarket chrome Pulley bolts are longer then stock if you are worried about the threads  I perfer the Stock VW Factory Parts But you have to do what you have to  to make it work for you as far as the linkage pop the linkage off both carbs and start up the car then adjust the idle on each one till it idels smooth and the rpm is in range  then adjust the rod that goes from carb to carb if the rpm goes up you will have to adjust the linkage ends on the rod either making it longer or shorter so it still idles at the same rpm then shut it off  move the linkage bar make sure both carbs are opening all the way once that is done you can hook up the center short linkage rod and adjust your cable.  this goes to show you that aftermarket parts are Crap its better to pay a little more and cry once  Cry Cry then to have to do the job twice  let me know how things go   depending on the crank bolt you use most aftermarket ones have crappy threads  made in china 

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2007, 14:24:14 pm »

thanks shubee, i'll get to the carbs once i have fixed the leak on the pulley.

could it be that i have to put the aftermarket pulley further in? using a hammer...
i tried to undo the pulley bolt, but the pulley just turned with it. eventhough it was in 1st gear and i had my brother hit the brakes...

i don't know anymore  Undecided
but i really need to get it fixed and head of Chimay

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
javabug

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2007, 14:38:05 pm »

Try putting it in reverse...or in first gear with some helpers pushing the car forward while you are leaning on the pulley bolt with a long bar.  I think you'll need a ton of leverage for as tight as it sounds.

If you have a stock pulley, try that for a bit. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2007, 15:41:42 pm »

The funny thing is that the car didn't move anymore but i just turned the crank.
Though it felt a little elastic... If I let go of my wrench it jumps back to the initial position.

Also, i feel there is a little bit too much white smoke coming out of my quiet packs.
And the smell is pretty bad, could it be that my mixture is too rich? I know i need to check my plugs and i will do that as well. But could it be? And is the mixture easily adjusted or should steer clear of such precise work?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2007, 16:31:24 pm »

how tight did you tighten the pulley bolt? it has a torqe setting if the crank turned and the car stayed still you were just breaking the clutch loose not to worry BUT the White Smoke? could it be Light Blue or Grey? if it is You have a Ring Problem Pull the Plugs and see what they look like see if any are wet with oil  as far as the pulley bolt use a breaker bar but dont put the new one on so tight you could have over tightened it and drove the pulley in to far and bent the oil slinger back and  now it dose not ride against the case  a Quick fix for this without spliting the case is buy a Bolt One Sand seal Pulley kit that will take care of the leak at the pulley But Check your Plugs Make Sure theres no oil on them

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2007, 17:29:46 pm »

hi shubee, i don't know about the pulley. one thing i'm sure of is that i can't undo it at the moment as the pulley/engine will just turn along with the bolt. but i tried to tighten it a bit more, so i'll have to go for a ride to see what it's like now.

about the plugs. i undid number 4 and 2 respectively, this is what they look like:

what do you think? number 4 looks a bit oily and 2 is fine. 1 and 3 are a mother to undo due to manifolds...

i know i'm a dick for not having replaced the rings in the first place, i guess this is the moment where i'll have to cry (once i hope)
but could i drive with this problem? what will it do to my engine? is it worth taking a risk? i wouldn't mind taking apart the engine after EBI i guess...

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: