The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 08:56:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The GTV
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: The GTV  (Read 155195 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: April 17, 2007, 05:50:04 am »

I figure my GTV could use its own thread Smiley

In the last 4 weeks or so it went from sitting in the backyard to quite a well oiled machine. I wanted to get it to the Phoenix BOR this weekend, but I lacked the motivation to get started. So I took it to the VW shop 3 doors down from where I do automotive upholstery, Air Cooleds Only. Ive known the owner, Jay Moore for as long as Ive known about VWs, and I knew I could trust him to get the ball rolling for me. In a few hours time he installed a relay for the starter, fixed an accelerator pump problem, adjusted and bled the brakes, and countless other small fixes and adjustments to make the car operate just as it did new. Everything on the car works- even the original Sapphire AM/FM. He said that he really enjoyed working on it since he hasnt seen a VW that complete and unmolested in at least 20 years!! Grin

That day I was so excited that I had to drive it home, even with 1987 tags on the old Wyoming license plates, no insurance, and severely cracked bias ply tires Wink

In the last two weeks the car really started to come together. I cleaned up and paint detailed the two chrome 4.5" Sprint Stars I picked up and ordered a pair of Michelin 145 XZX's (which became 135s when they arrived  Angry sent them back and got the right tires). I mounted those up and immediately liked what I saw- the tires were now tucked in the fender an inch and a half on each side from where they were! No more wide track!! I took the old A78-15s  off of the front 5.5" Sprints, and then proceeded to paint detail those wheels to match the fronts. The original rear wheels were in great shape having been stored for the last 20 years and never being used in winter, so I have set them aside. A matching pair of used 165 XZX's were donated to me, and I bolted those up a week ago Saturday. I love the way the 145's fit the 4.5s and how the 165s fit the 5.5s. Its perfect! It was amazing the difference new tires made!

Meanwhile, I mentioned to my boss that I was looking for an old black on yellow 1969 Arizona license plate (correct through 1972), just like the one he had on his turbo Corvair back in the late '60s (that just happened to be hanging on the wall Wink ) Well, long story short, he graciously donated it to me, and without too much hassle the state of Arizona let me legally register the car with it Grin The next day I added it to my insurance, and my rates went down!

So a week ago Sunday morning, a good friend of mine joins me in the cars first shakedown run to a little town about an hour away, Yarnell, Arizona. The reason for this location were; great greasy breakfast at The Ranch House, and my boss lives there and my he and my friend are both Merkur XR4Ti fans. We accomplished both goals, and I also got the phone number from a very cute waitress, and I will be seeing her this weekend Wink The drive back home on the twistys went very well, the car handles surprisingly well and never went over 85 degrees celcius on the EMPI oil gauge.

This last week all I needed to accomplish was to rub the original paint back out to shine again, and install drop spindles with disc brakes to get rid of the 4" of front fender gap. Paint was rubbed Wednesday (looking good!), but the spindles didnt arrive until 4:30 Friday evening! Luckily, Jay Moore volunteered himself, and in less than an hour's time, the fender gap was reduced to match the rear Smiley I also installed my Koni steering dampner, a pair of caster shims, and replaced the clutch cable that was hanging on by three threads! We marveled at our work, had a couple beers, then retired home.

Saturday was a treat. Started out great- had an appointment to get the front suspension aligned at 8am and all went well. The car drove home like a dream. Tracks straight and true, and handles the bumps like a stocker. My buddys girlfriend decided to ride down to Phoenix with me, so we packed up and hit the road at 1pm. Almost immediately the car starts acting up  Angry cutting out intermittently, highly irritating. We make it about 35 miles when it dies completely, leaving us stranded on I-17. Since Im not the type to carry spare parts or tools, we call my friend (her boyfriend) to come rescue us with a towbar. While waiting for him to arrive, I diagnose the culprit. The original Bosch black coil checked out. Funny thing is, I remember thinking to myself earlier that morning, "Geez, I wonder how much longer the coil will last me?"   Roll Eyes It was the only part of the ignition system that I hadnt replaced! Since our destination that night was Frenchy's house, we decided to drive straight there and address the problem. Frenchy was great, he loaned me a blue coil and the necessary tools, and the old GTV fired right back up. He even let me park on his lawn with all the other nice cars Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:44:57 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:52:20 am »

Inside... I recovered the seats, added pop outs, original EMPI wood window sills, NOS EMPI wood dash knobs...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:58:12 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:56:09 am »

Some motor shots. I added the Santana pulley, rebuilt and installed the 010, and added the EMPI air filter. Also a shot of the (previoulsy) greasy EMPI sending unit.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 06:01:09 am »

The wide track look! Yuck! The 4.5's before, and after.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 06:04:38 am »

Almost done, just waiting on spindles!!! Another reminder of how I found her, and the (almost) finished project.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 06:10:19 am »

Here is the state of my bedroom dresser Wink A few of the parts destined for the GTV...

Gunter

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 06:12:21 am »

great work Zach saving your GTV
when did you find this car ?
would that be an amazing find, under a pile of snow ?

Gunter
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 06:19:50 am »

I found it just before Christmas 2005 in Laramie, Wyoming. Another shot of the dash/interior as I found it... And a couple modifications from the previous owner; ski racks and a sump plate heater (cord is wrapped around bumper)

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 07:13:50 am »

hye
very very nice bug gtv zach
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 17:44:04 pm »

Looks really good Zach!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Turtle001

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 18:16:12 pm »

yummie yummie!

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 18:37:46 pm »

cool car zach  Shocked which other empi parts have you on the car (shock aborber , camber Huh?)

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 18:54:13 pm »

Zach, very impressive and very cool, enjoy.....

Best Regards

Russell
bathing ape

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 19:05:15 pm »

well cool zach,give us a run down on the empi bits! Cool
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 04:27:47 am »

I took a few more shots this morning before work. First shot is the rear 3/4 view where you can see its newly aquired California rake, Wink and the 1969 Arizona plate with a yellow "Keep on Buggin" license plate frame. I found that plate frame at a Hot VWs Drag Day a few years ago, and I think it perfectly matches the car Wink And a side shot. I wish that I could stuff a slightly taller and wider tire on the back, but the Sprint Stars dont allow for it. As it sits now, even the 165s stick out of the fender ever so slightly!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 04:40:25 am »

And a couple updated interior pics. I found a NOS EMPI knob for the E-Z-R shifter, and a NOS EMPI wood parking brake handle and button- but I only have the button installed currently. What I really want is a EMPI wood rimmed big button sterring wheel! I hate the stock one!
In the rear you can see my re-upholstery job on the seats, and the original headliner- it is almost perfect except for one small tear about the size of a dime right above my head. Like I mentioned before, I added the pop out windows for a couple reasons; because its hot in Arizona, and you can hear the engine running better Wink I chose to use black welting around the window frames even though I know white is correct. I think it looks better black, it matches the rear window that way.
The trunk is 100% original. That is the original trunk liner, and the original Continental 5.60-15 spare tire that still has the fuzzys on it- it has NEVER been used!!! The window washer would still work... if the spare tire could hold air!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 05:01:42 am »

well cool zach,give us a run down on the empi bits! Cool

Its kind of a bastard- it doesnt fit into any of the GTV categories, but thats ok. Its my bastard Smiley

Off the top of my head here goes:
5.5" Chrome Sprint Stars
C-Stripe kit
Door edge guards
Door handle guards
Rear gravel gaurds
Cocoa floor mats
Gauges (with sending unit)
E-Z-R shifter

I added:
Air cleaner conversion (no longer oil bath)
Dash knobs
Parking brake button (handle not installed yet)
Window sills
4.5" Chrome Sprint Stars

Coming soon:
Oil pump filter
Ram Induction Kit (single Zenith 32 NDIX)
Valve covers
Bumper guards
Decklid vent trim
"Slick Shift" transmission additive

Another odd thing about the car- It is based on a Standard (not Deluxe) Beetle. It didnt have a rear window defrost, chrome trim on the windows or running boards, door pockets, pop out windows, passenger foot rest, day/night mirror, seat frame covers, locking glove box or decklid latch. Since some of these things are nice to have (and some I just like the way they look), I have started its transformation into a Deluxe model. Things like a day/night rear view mirror and pop outs make driving MUCH nicer, and things like the decklid lock helps protect my investment. I wont add a rear window defrost because the car isnt wired for it! I also like the look of the clear rear glass better. I will add trim around the windshield and rear window when I replace the windshield. I think that the window trim should match all the way around a car.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:02:15 am by Zach Gomulka » Logged

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 07:13:20 am »

good luck with the parts who looking for
bathing ape

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2007, 08:57:56 am »

good stuff zach,i like the bastard!!!
bathing ape

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 14:12:18 pm »

i would also like ram induction kit (single zenith 32ndix) if anyone has one
bathing ape

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 17:45:45 pm »

there is a wood rimmed big button empi steering wheel on samba now
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 05:55:39 am »

hey Zach, I recognize that nice spun aluminum air horn for the Zenith. Sheep shipped me his for his 32NDIX....nice piece.

Car looks like fun,

Jim

Did you notice that the stack has a MP logo on it? Thats Mohr Performance- the guy is buying Kadron stacks at $20 a pair and pawning them off on ebay as Porsche Zenith stacks for about $70 a pair. I have an identical pair that I bought from Joel Mohr a few years ago, with the same logo, $20. Its bullshit man.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2007, 02:00:58 am »

Today was a good day! My roomate and I followed a lead on some VW performance parts about an hour away, and came up with some good parts for a very reasonable cash outlay. Most of the parts I got will end up on ebay, but I did find a VERY nice Zenith 32 NDIX carb and a whole box of Zenith jets to go with it! Now the "Ram Induction Kit" is complete! Grin Here is a pic of the street set up, and one for race!

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2007, 09:25:34 am »

nice one zach  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 12:20:52 pm »

Today was a good day! My roomate and I followed a lead on some VW performance parts about an hour away, and came up with some good parts for a very reasonable cash outlay. Most of the parts I got will end up on ebay, but I did find a VERY nice Zenith 32 NDIX carb and a whole box of Zenith jets to go with it! Now the "Ram Induction Kit" is complete! Grin Here is a pic of the street set up, and one for race!

Hmmm, l

Looks Hard-Core with the Stack... Wink Grin Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 08:06:04 am »

Well, I have a perfectly good running GTV, so what do I do? Tear it apart of course! Grin For starters, the original muffler was really blown/rusted out, sounding like shit, and I was tired of getting flack from my friends and my boss about it. So at last months Phoenix BOR I found an old header and S&S glasspack for $18. I know it ideally needs an EMPI 4 bolt header, but those arent really growing on trees these days, and the price was definitely right on this one. Someday Ill buck up and get the genuine article, but for now this will have to do. I chose to "restore" the header, and leave the glasspack how it is. It has that old S&S decal still, and it looks like its been on there since day one. Also, the "Ram Induction Power Kit" I assembled is going on. Here is how I started the day, in the midst of progress, and how I finished it. Tuesday Ill get it running and tuned in Grin

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 09:28:37 am »

top Grin
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 14:03:46 pm »

It never ends does it Zach. Its looking good though.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 05:13:22 am »

Almost forgot to update!
I got it all buttoned up. That header I picked up on the cheap is a real piece of crap though. The collector isnt centered, and it pushed the breasplate tin forward a little bit so now my over-the-pulley-bolt tin doesnt fit  Angry The S&S glasspack wasnt designed for this header either- as you can see it sits a little funny. But I guess I cant bitch too much since they only costed my $18  Roll Eyes Im really jonesing for a genuine EMPI exhaust now, too bad I cant even afford to think about buying one!!
The Zenith 32NDIX bolted up easy, I splashed a little fuel down the throat, and it fired almost instantly. I installed some smaller 40 idle jets, and it runs VERY smoothly. The stock Solex hated the 010 on there, but now it drives just as buttery smooth as it did with the stock carb/distributor. A Zenith and a 010 are a match made in heaven! Power increase wasnt quite what I was hoping for, but it is defintely an improvement over stock. The car is MUCH more driveable now, and alot quieter since the blown/rusted out stock muffler is gone.
I forgot how much fun tuning a stock engine is Wink Here's some pics...

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2007, 09:22:19 am »

nice work zach think to me for empi exhaust  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: