The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:06:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The GTV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: The GTV  (Read 155402 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2010, 02:38:26 am »

Found out a trick to improve air flow in the mighty Zenith 32ndix. When I was jetting, I had to use larger main jets than I wanted to so it would transition smoothly, the downside was a slightly fat top end, hopefully this will lean it out. Plan is to race it March 28th at the Phoenix BOR, with any luck all this tuning will show some improvements over the last best run, a 19.68. Either that or it will show my motor is long overdue for a rebuild!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2010, 00:40:35 am »

Found out a trick to improve air flow in the mighty Zenith 32ndix. When I was jetting, I had to use larger main jets than I wanted to so it would transition smoothly, the downside was a slightly fat top end, hopefully this will lean it out. Plan is to race it March 28th at the Phoenix BOR, with any luck all this tuning will show some improvements over the last best run, a 19.68. Either that or it will show my motor is long overdue for a rebuild!
How are you going to stop the fuel over spill on off road cars the run a 2 inch long 1/8 tube screwed in to the part you cut off fuel travels across that casting you cut out as  far as your ET: 19.68 it is time for a rebuild  My 67 with a stock 1600 Dual port with 009,single Qp,ant kadrons ran 16.40's all day long and a Best of 16.24  Its Time Zack  your wasting time and Money on that Dead Dog Build something with all the parts you have and put a little bite back in that Dog Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2010, 02:03:05 am »

I don't anticipate fuel spillage being a problem in a street car, but if it is I'll fab something up. I've got an idea Wink

About the E.T... You're '67 was a lot lighter than my car! Mine ran a 20.32 when it was bone stock, which I think is right on par. I still need a few more parts ($$$) to rebuild it, and yes I will tear it all the way down and c/w the crank while I'm at it. Cam will either be stock, or an EMPI 821 if I can find one...

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2010, 18:17:07 pm »

This is what I was thinking for venting the float bowl, if needed. This guy did some crazy work to this carb, flows almost as much as a 40P11 with better velocity.

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2010, 21:29:12 pm »

Hey Zach,

I finally got around to reading this entire thread... nice car!

I've always had a soft spot for GTV's... Very cool chunk of VW history you have there Wink

~DR.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2010, 22:08:57 pm »

Thanks Dave! It's a fun daily driver Wink

I put the LM-1 back on and took some readings, swapped the carb top over and noticed that I was running much much leaner Grin So I upped the main jet to a 130, and it feels like it's driving better than ever. More air, more fuel... must be making more power, right?!

Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:17 am »

The pic's you posted of the highly modified Zenith are awesome! I've never seen anything quite like it...

I've run Zenith's for years... still do in fact. Only mod I've ever done is the simple float bowl extension plus I run the float in the lower setting on my off-road stuff.

Many-many years ago I did something stupid and laid my Burro on it's side... during all the commotion of trying to get out of my seat belt I realized it was still running! Only a Zenith could pull off something like that!

Keep up the good work Grin

~DR.
gilbert17

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2010, 13:19:45 pm »

i've been watching this great thread,and i also like the GTV look,i have some of the parts needed, one question,is it ok to use a kamei airdam on a GTV?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2010, 17:51:18 pm »

Kamei parts were sold by EMPI, so that's a yes! Wink

j-dub

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2010, 02:37:50 am »

This is what I was thinking for venting the float bowl, if needed. This guy did some crazy work to this carb, flows almost as much as a 40P11 with better velocity.

I understand the vent stacks but what is going on with the two pieces of sheet metal? I would not imagine those jets need to be held in place and are those the accelerator squirters coming out of the other side?
gilbert17

« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2010, 16:57:24 pm »

cool!  Smiley  i'm about to do the same thing to my 1970 bug,i have some of the parts needed  i'm still looking for the stripes,all i have for now are the side scoops,bumper guards, and sprintstars,camber compensator,still looking for the other stuff to complete  my car Smiley
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2010, 17:36:54 pm »

I understand the vent stacks but what is going on with the two pieces of sheet metal? I would not imagine those jets need to be held in place and are those the accelerator squirters coming out of the other side?

The sheet metal just cleans up some "dead" area in the carb. And yes, those are the pump squirters.

gilbert17

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2010, 16:10:04 pm »

any updates on this build?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2010, 23:40:12 pm »

Not much, really. It's been my only car for the last couple months since my buddy (AssHull) is borrowing my truck. Soon as I get my truck back I'll pull the motor apart for the rebuild! Specs will be as follws:
C/W crank
12.5# flywheel
KEP Stage 1 aluminium PP
Stock cam (I think!)
EMPI filter/pump
EMPI magnesium deep sump
Slip-in forged 88's!
Ported stock valve heads (still need those), Berg single HD springs
EMPI 1.4 rockers
Solex 40p11 split shafts on EMPI globe manifolds, NOS EMPI linkage, velocity stacks
Type 4 cooler, fuel injection venturi ring
EMPI (non GT) valve covers

That's about it.... should be a lot more fun! Grin
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 23:42:26 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

gilbert17

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2010, 15:13:30 pm »

any updates on this project?  Smiley
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2010, 15:40:42 pm »

Nope! I've been so busy lately that this car is turning into one of the cobbler's children. I'll be getting my truck back from AssHull in about a month (hopefully) then I can take the GTV off the road for a bit and give it the attention it deserves...

Forgot to mention, it's also getting a 100mm clutch arm to make the 1700lb Kennedy easy on the left leg, and an EMPI 4 bolt header with glasspack Smiley Thinking about fabbing up an EMPI style traction bar, as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 15:43:12 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

gilbert17

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2010, 12:03:12 pm »

cool!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2010, 18:43:54 pm »

I pulled the engine out of the GTV last week and tore it down over the weekend. What a pleasure it was to take apart an unmolested, factory built engine! I learned many things that I often see over looked in engine builds today. Sunday morning I took the short block parts to Steve Hollingsworth in Phoenix. He is going to give the case a thorough once over, and rebuild/balance the original rods. He is also sending the original crank and flywheel to Jose at DPR for counterweighting, lightening, and 8 doweling. Steve Long of SLR will be providing a stock 3 bolt cam, and he is going to do his thing to my original lifters. Other than the worn parts (bearings, etc) and the upgraded original EMPI parts, I will be reusing as many pieces from the original engine as possible, it is very important to me that the car keep the parts it came from the factory with! Instead of the slip in 88's I was planning on using, Steve will machine down a set of bore type 88's to fit in the stock case. That way I can have the thick wall at the cylinder head end. Other than the counterweighted crank, I want to keep the bottom end "stock", and see just what performance I can get out of an engine strictly using "bolt-on" parts. I'm obviously not trying to set the world on fire, just build a mild, reliable, period correct engine that is more fun than what I've got now. And I'm curious to see what the RPM range of the engine will be with the stock cam, EMPI 1.4:1 rockers, good heads, and a free flowing intake/exhaust. I can't wait!!! Grin

j-dub

« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2010, 23:14:58 pm »

Good to hear this thing is making progress.  Cool
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #169 on: September 08, 2010, 00:10:44 am »

I just cleaned up the chambers on the original 133k mile heads and found no cracks! Shocked So I walked next door & asked Gary B what his thoughts were... No sense in buying new heads, reuse those! Grin

I'm borderline thrilled Smiley

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #170 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:10 am »

Cool!! I'm looking forward to seeing this engine. Smiley
You won't be using an EMPI cam then after all?
Good call on using machined 88s instead of the slip-ins.

Keep up the good work!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #171 on: September 08, 2010, 17:42:58 pm »

I suppose if an EMPI 821 cam fell into my lap I would seriously consider using it... Wink

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #172 on: September 08, 2010, 19:03:39 pm »

And I suppose having a cam ground to its specs ain't your cup of tea?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2010, 20:11:27 pm »

I haven't been able to find specs that are detailed enough Undecided

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2010, 19:00:25 pm »

I went through my stash and found the specs Smiley Problem is that I will have (mathematically) .463" lift with the EMPI 1.4's... I was really hoping to keep it simple and use single springs, but I think that will be pushing it :/

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2010, 21:11:36 pm »

Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2010, 17:25:55 pm »

I dissasembled the heads and had them hot tanked & bead blasted. Gary looked them over and said they are "cherry" Smiley Now I have to pick a head porter...

I'm going to stick with the stock cam, EMPI 1.4's, and single HD springs in the name of simplicity, and torque. This will still give me around .420" lift at the valve, and greatly alter the duration at .050" valve lift.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2010, 18:56:23 pm »

Looking good Zach.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #178 on: September 12, 2010, 14:00:41 pm »

I dissasembled the heads and had them hot tanked & bead blasted. Gary looked them over and said they are "cherry" Smiley Now I have to pick a head porter...

I'm going to stick with the stock cam, EMPI 1.4's, and single HD springs in the name of simplicity, and torque. This will still give me around .420" lift at the valve, and greatly alter the duration at .050" valve lift.

Hmmmm interesting - thats almost exactly what I have (lift/duration) with the Engle 100 and stock 1.1:1 rockers  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #179 on: September 13, 2010, 08:12:13 am »

Denham Wink
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: