The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 11:18:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351059 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The GTV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: The GTV  (Read 155480 times)

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2007, 01:55:56 am »

It's about time ! LOL !
Is that one of the "Cal-look.com" Koni steering dampners also ?
And what's with the "non-period correct" disc brakes and lowered rear ?
 Cheesy
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2007, 02:44:06 am »

Yeah, its the cal-look.com dampner. Its been on there for about 7 months. As for the disc brakes, I figure a guy back in the '70's could have put Ghia front and 914 rear discs on his GTV Smiley I mean, why wouldnt he?! Its a GTV!! Grin
The rear is stock height! Probably sagged a lil bit though. All I did was put the drop spindles on, and Im glad I did. It looks proper now, the fender gap matches front to rear.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 12:50:38 pm »

any update on your car ?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 18:22:03 pm »

Not much, just driving and enjoying it Grin I am very slowly gathering EMPI parts for an engine rebuild/upgrade. It will be a 88x?? Havent decided on stroke yet. I am also saving money for a ZF equipped Berg 5 speed- I will do the transmission before the engine upgrade. Within the month I plan to pull the engine and trans for a good cleaning, install a new front trans mount, new CV boots, and a 30mm oil pump to try and get a little more life out of the original engine Wink

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2008, 21:15:57 pm »

just let me know if you find an empi exhaust  Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2008, 17:00:32 pm »

just let me know if you find an empi exhaust  Wink

Ohh dont worry, the whole world will hear about that! Grin Wink

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2008, 23:36:32 pm »

Those little things that bug the sh!t out of you....

5.5" Sprint Stars have a lot of offset... only 3.5" of backspace. When I had the stock drum brakes on my car, the little 165's just bearly peeked outside the fender- annoying, but tolerable. When I swapped to rear discs, they stuck out even further  Angry Even though CB claims that the brakes add zero track width... thats bullshit!!! I didnt measure before and after, but I imagine it was a solid 3/8" or so... Depending on where you measure, the tires stick out of the fender 1/2"- 3/4". This is unacceptable!
The solution? Narrowing the rear arms and using two left side type 3 automatic axles. It will tuck them back in 26mm on each side  Grin

Here is the timeline this past week...

Monday: Call local VW friend to see if he has any arms for sale. He does!! I get the arms, axles, stub axles, complete drums, bearings, CV's, spring plates, and torsion bars for the grand total of.......... $35 Grin And he shares some great stories from the Bug-In's "back in the day" Wink

Tuesday: Get started early by dragging the whole mess to the VW/Porsche shop a few doors from where I work. I strip them down, and give all of the other pieces (axles, ect) to the shop owner for letting me use his space and tools. I take them down to the quarter car wash, give them a good cleaning, and then drop them off to Slinger- he sandblasts them, and drops them off to the fabricator that night!

Wednesday: I get a call at 4pm from the fabricator.... trailing arms are done!!!  Shocked I guess he needed money!!  Cheesy

Thursday: Fabricator's wife drops off the arms at my work just before 10am. Grin

Axles are on the way, too... and unfortunatly the arms need to go back to be clearanced for the brake rotors, but otherwise Id say that Im making good time Wink

Now Im wanting a pair of 185/70's.....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 20:53:02 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2008, 23:38:40 pm »

And the arms... a little clearancing and ready for paint...

roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2008, 23:52:00 pm »

And the arms... a little clearancing and ready for paint...

Isn't that 1 left & 1 right?

Glitter don't make you faster.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2008, 23:55:37 pm »

Yes.... the arms just get the bearing housing moved in 26mm, a little clearancing, and some gussets for strength. The axles used are 2 left sides from a type 3 with a fully automatic transaxle... They are 26mm shorter than standard IRS axles.

roland

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2008, 00:09:58 am »

Ok! nice work, love the car! Wink

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2008, 00:16:24 am »

nice find. how did you find in wyoming.cool idea on rear trailing arms. wow were did you find the koni shocks n o s?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2008, 18:15:25 pm »

Found it while checking out Christmas lights with my ex-girl just before Christmas 2005.... saw the C Stripe out of the corner of my eye and almost had a heart attack!!!

Koni shocks were on ebay a few months ago... got them for a scosh less than brand new ones sell for! And they drive GREAT!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 22:15:21 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 22:23:42 pm »

One axle came in... the other is supposedly on its way.  Check out the difference... The left side T3 auto axle measures about 15 3/8" end to end.

Here is a couple more shots of my "problem". It doesnt seem to look as bad in the pictures, but I swear its there! Maybe I'm too anal, but those little pizza cutter 165's are sticking way too far out  Roll Eyes Hopefully when the job is done, the rear tire will tuck in the fender the same way that the front tire does, and I will be happy Smiley

roland

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2008, 22:40:06 pm »

Here is a couple more shots of my "problem". It doesnt seem to look as bad in the pictures, but I swear its there! Maybe I'm too anal, but those little pizza cutter 165's are sticking way too far out  Roll Eyes Hopefully when the job is done, the rear tire will tuck in the fender the same way that the front tire does, and I will be happy Smiley

Don't worry, i think all of us are too anal Wink

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2008, 22:45:23 pm »

Don't worry, i think all of us are too anal Wink

If we weren't anal, we would be posting on the Hoodride Lounge.  Cheesy

Yours stick out a little more than mine, but its probably the wheel offset. If it bothers you, fix it. Of course you will probably find you pushed them in too much and will need wider rear tires.  Tongue

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2008, 02:13:03 am »

Me likey the tires.  Ooohhh whhhyyyy do they have to be so 'spensive???

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2008, 02:13:59 am »

One axle came in... the other is supposedly on its way.  Check out the difference... The left side T3 auto axle measures about 15 3/8" end to end.

Are the Type 3 rear trailing arms differnt then a type 1?  seems if the axles are shorter you could change it all to type3??  Huh

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

Single dual throats and 010/009's work perfectly together  Wink Smiley

Looking good dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2008, 02:25:02 am »

Me likey the tires.  Ooohhh whhhyyyy do they have to be so 'spensive???

And why cant they make them in a 185/70??  Roll Eyes

Are the Type 3 rear trailing arms differnt then a type 1?  seems if the axles are shorter you could change it all to type3??  Huh

I dont know... but since its only the left side axle that's short, I suspect the output on the left side of the auto trans differs from that of the right. One trailing arm *might* work, but the other would not.

Single dual throats and 010/009's work perfectly together  Wink Smiley

Looking good dude  Smiley

Indeed they do Smiley
Thanks!!

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2008, 02:37:28 am »

185/70VR15 Pirelli Cinturato CN36 Tyres anyone  Huh Wink Smiley

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/image/LAMBO%2520350%2520borrani.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/Pirelli-Cinturato.php&h=324&w=302&sz=116&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=nkyIznSJ12K0aM:&tbnh=118&tbnw=110&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpirelli%2Bcn36%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3DldE%26sa%3DG

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Grelland

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2008, 20:32:55 pm »

Yes.... the arms just get the bearing housing moved in 26mm, a little clearancing, and some gussets for strength. The axles used are 2 left sides from a type 3 with a fully automatic transaxle... They are 26mm shorter than standard IRS axles.

I have heard this before, but where  do you get hold of 2 such axles? Here in Norway the t3 autos were few and far between...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 22:22:12 pm by Grelland » Logged

gabfab

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2008, 02:21:15 am »

try coker tire zack

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2008, 02:47:55 am »

Yeah, Coker has Michelin 185/70 XWX's, close... kinda   Undecided But they are $384 EACH!!!

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2008, 03:21:56 am »

Tore it all apart today... pulled motor, trans, cleaned up the motor, trans, and body from the nasty mess of a torn CV boot. Stuck trans back in with new mounts. Fab guy is clearancing the trailing arms for the rotors, he said they will be at my shop Monday morning. Ive got one axle, and the other is supposedly on its way... finally (I paid the asshole 2 weeks ago and still havent seen shit! And its only about 250 miles away in Tucson!! Angry) Tomorrow Ill finish up the trans install, "pop" in a new input shaft seal and main seal, plug the motor back in, and assemble my one short axle with new CV boots... I hope to have it done by Tuesday night, tops....

Ohh yeah.... the motor had been pulled before I got in there today- there was a sticker on the pressure plate that read "Remanufactured for VWOA", so it was probably a dealer job, and you can tell because everything was put back RIGHT! Grin

SlingShot

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2008, 08:42:09 am »

Tore it all apart today... pulled motor, trans, cleaned up the motor, trans, and body from the nasty mess of a torn CV boot. Stuck trans back in with new mounts. Fab guy is clearancing the trailing arms for the rotors, he said they will be at my shop Monday morning. Ive got one axle, and the other is supposedly on its way... finally (I paid the asshole 2 weeks ago and still havent seen shit! And its only about 250 miles away in Tucson!! Angry) Tomorrow Ill finish up the trans install, "pop" in a new input shaft seal and main seal, plug the motor back in, and assemble my one short axle with new CV boots... I hope to have it done by Tuesday night, tops....

Ohh yeah.... the motor had been pulled before I got in there today- there was a sticker on the pressure plate that read "Remanufactured for VWOA", so it was probably a dealer job, and you can tell because everything was put back RIGHT! Grin

Wow! By the sound of it, you do all this work all by yourself.  Roll Eyes Your the MAN ! Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2008, 17:53:32 pm »

Slinger,
Thanks for picking up the beer and burrito's.
Love, Zach

SlingShot

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2008, 18:03:54 pm »

Slinger,
Thanks for picking up the beer and burrito's.
Love, Zach

And thanks for buying, Smiley

Guess I got all that CV Grease on my pants from the Burrito Shop. HHHMMMM  Wink

Will Race For Beer !!!
The Ideaman

« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2008, 19:44:42 pm »

Guess I got all that CV Grease on my pants from the Burrito Shop. HHHMMMM  Wink
Isn't that what Filiberto's uses for frying?

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2008, 02:12:42 am »

Got it buttoned up yesterday around 4:30p... everything is working nicely thus far, but man that was alot of work!! It was snowing today so I didnt get any pictures Sad but Ill be sure to post them soon.... It doesnt look narrowed, it just looks normal! That was alot of work for "normal", but in my mind it was well worth the effort. Now the tires sit just inside the fenders, much like the front Smiley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: