The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 21:39:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Current Cal-Look trendz that you'd like to see come to an end!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Current Cal-Look trendz that you'd like to see come to an end!  (Read 21267 times)
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« on: March 26, 2011, 03:25:17 am »

Who dares step thru the door of opposition? Shocked

The deal is, it's been HOW MANY years since this LOOK was institutionalized?
Trends come, things go ... it happens more often than I care to document.

"Resto-Cal" cars labeled as "Cal-Look" ...... !
Giant MONSTER tachs planted right in the middle of the dash ... cluttering up an otherwise clean-flowing design.
       Come on .... unless your making (at least) monthly trips to the track, WTF? Clean it up and put it somewhere less conspicuous ... We all know how fast your ride is, don't we?
       If you're going to run one, post a recent (3 weeks old, max) time slip on the rear view.
Full bumpers are clean on occasion, but wasn't the LOOK born out of those racers put to the streets? What would your looker LOOK like with some clean T-Bars or dare I say it ... Buggy Bumpers? Shocked Not to mention what it will do for your 60 ft. time!
Over-narrowed front ends ... it only takes 2-3 inches to overcome the offset of most disc brake/wheel combinations ... if you can fit more than 2 fingers between  your front fenderwells and the tire ...
Over-narrow front tires ... back in the day front-runners were acceptable because that's what was available for the lowered look. New Tire Technology has brought us realistic sizes in compact heights so you can have tires that can withstand your brakes (even stock!). Step up and make your ride DRIVABLE with some real rubber.
Stock side mirrors ... is that all you can find? They're OK, but let's have some imagination ...

As once said, LOL.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:42:38 am by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
kingsburgphil

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 05:26:53 am »

Giant MONSTER tachs planted right in the middle of the dash ... cluttering up an otherwise clean-flowing design.
       Come on .... unless your making (at least) monthly trips to the track, WTF? Clean it up and put it somewhere less conspicuous ... We all know how fast your ride is, don't we?
       If you're going to run one, post a recent (3 weeks old, max) time slip on the rear view.
Full bumpers are clean on occasion, but wasn't the LOOK born out of those racers put to the streets? What would your looker LOOK like with some clean T-Bars or dare I say it ... Buggy Bumpers? Shocked Not to mention what it will do for your 60 ft. time!
Over-narrowed front ends ... it only takes 2-3 inches to overcome the offset of most disc brake/wheel combinations ... if you can fit more than 2 fingers between  your front fenderwells and the tire ...
Over-narrow front tires ... back in the day front-runners were acceptable because that's what was available for the lowered look. New Tire Technology has brought us realistic sizes in compact heights so you can have tires that can withstand your brakes (even stock!). Step up and make your ride DRIVABLE with some real rubber.
Stock side mirrors ... is that all you can find? They're OK, but let's have some imagination ...

As once said, LOL.

Mirrors?  Raydots are available again!....haven't used one since 75'  Grin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:51:12 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
58vw

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 07:08:40 am »

i personnaly like the swan mirrors....is that what their called?? Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:29:13 am »

Just one word: TRIM

ROTFLMAO!

Wünderwaffe are Go!
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:40:02 am »

To me Cal-Look from back in the day IS Cal-Look. Anything other than is NOT Cal-look. You can put a label on anything you want, but if it's not OG Cal-Look, it's not. DKP and DKK cars are prime example of the way real Cal-Lookers should be. VW's dropped to the ground front and back, narrowed beams till you can't see the wheels anymore, swan mirriors? WTF! Anyway, NOT Cal-Look. And then theres the PATINA look or what ever, get some paint jobs!! BUT on the other hand.....different strokes for different folks, there keeping the VW alive and showing what CAN be done, whether we like'em or not. MY 2 cents.  Shocked Grin

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:31 am »

As once said, LOL.

Amen  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:45:28 am »

The trend I'd like to see come to an end is trying to pigeon-hole everything. Cal Look, like every form of customising, is a constantly evolving style. As long as a car has the hot-rod stance, is fast (no stock motors!) and is free from worthless accessories, then its fine by me.  Smiley

Maybe I should write a book about how Cal Look has evolved... Oh wait!  Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
banditina

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 13:40:18 pm »

The trend I'd like to see come to an end is trying to pigeon-hole everything. Cal Look, like every form of customising, is a constantly evolving style. As long as a car has the hot-rod stance, is fast (no stock motors!) and is free from worthless accessories, then its fine by me.  Smiley

Grin Grin

DAS.. DKP.. ecc.. this car??? are cal-look?? ..... or not Grin

Speed-Randy

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 16:03:23 pm »

The trend I'd like to see come to an end, people accomadating their turbos by hacking a huge notch in an H-apron. What a waste, change it to a repop if you have to cut, or at least don't use the chainsaw and ax method of cutting

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 16:30:58 pm »

I'm sick and fucking tired of every cool old part from back in the day being repopped.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 16:33:21 pm »

I'm sick and fucking tired of every cool old part from back in the day being repopped.

AMEN DUDE  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 18:54:08 pm »

I like this post.  Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 19:16:02 pm »

I'd like to see an end to internet cal look experts who's not run an number in their precious shinny car's Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 19:20:40 pm by Black Sheep » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 19:34:15 pm »

Cal Look is not unlike our lives and views on the world... read: we all perceive it differently and should be treated as such.

To each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 19:42:07 pm »

I would like to see less derivative/same old/not much imagination cal lookers out there.... while I LOVE seeing ANY old VW with a hipo aircooled motor hanging out back, its still  nice to see owners & builders who think a little outside the box. Much the same as how the style started off... its very difficult nowadays as most things have already been 'done', just some less than others.

But, to echo a comment above, everyone's ride is their own and they should do what they like without worrying about what other people think....

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 19:43:09 pm »

I would like to see less derivative/same old/not much imagination cal lookers out there.... while I LOVE seeing ANY old VW with a hipo aircooled motor hanging out back, its still  nice to see owners & builders who think a little outside the box. Much the same as how the style started off... its very difficult nowadays as most things have already been 'done', just some less than others.

But, to echo a comment above, everyone's ride is their own and they should do what they like without worrying about what other people think....

Which is exactly what I like about the interior you already have T Tom!

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 20:37:29 pm »

How true !
 Angry
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 21:37:41 pm »

How true !
 Angry

Sure, I get what you guys are saying here but how far do you take this train of thought?
How about common everyday guy who would dearly love to have a Cobra? Or a Speedster? Or simply a set of BRM's?

Sure, I wish I still had each and every original EMPI part or early Fuchs Alloy I've ever owned over the years but I don't and I sure as hell can't afford to buy 'em back.

We all know where there is a demand, there will be a supplier. Simply the facts.

What I never could understand was a poorly copied part! You'd think if someone was going to invest good money on R&D, set-up, tooling, manpower, etc at least they could get it right!

I guess it's a thin line.. I really don't want to upset anybody here but I applaud any company who has invested everything needed to bring us, the consumer, a quality reproduced part.

The other thing is, for those of you who have invested in the real-deal vintage parts, there will always be someone who appreciates it as the piece of history it is and would be willing to pay dearly for it.

OK, back to trendz...

Jim Ratto

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 21:38:04 pm »

the "look" being more important that if the goddamn thing runs worth a shit, consistently.

funny how this hobby pays respect to the "cool look" or one time slip achieved by a garage mushroom.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 21:56:35 pm »

the "look" being more important that if the goddamn thing runs worth a shit, consistently.

funny how this hobby pays respect to the "cool look" or one time slip achieved by a garage mushroom.

ok instead of just bitching and bagging on the hobby that I can't seem to shake no matter what, I'll elaborate on what I wish would come back.
Light, simple, clean and "faster than they should be" cars, without the burden of all the worry about "period correctness" or "original Racetrim" bullshit. If it makes the car kick ass, go with it. When "Cal Look" cars went over the top with all the bs, they lost thier purity. To me, taking a stockish old Bug, tripling the org horsepower, taking back seat out and fitting some lighter and wider wheels is about all that needs to be done. dash-adjustable fuel pressure and billet spring plate covers need not apply.
Aronson's '63. There ya go.

I'm done now.
65bug

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 21:59:51 pm »

The thing I hate the most is 4 inch narrowed beams Tongue It cannot make your car handle any better and just looks like crap................................. Roll Eyes
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 22:07:44 pm »

The desirability original Racetrim stuff is something that baffles me.

We'd never run RaceTrim back in the day... it was like wearing Sears Toughskins instead of Levi's!

Sure a lot of it was made by the same places that made the stuff with a better reputation but it was how it was perceived/marketed.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 22:41:53 pm »

The desirability original Racetrim stuff is something that baffles me.

We'd never run RaceTrim back in the day... it was like wearing Sears Toughskins instead of Levi's!

Sure a lot of it was made by the same places that made the stuff with a better reputation but it was how it was perceived/marketed.
                                                                           It was always something you bought, real quick to get you buy, until you could buy something decent. If it had to be on the car for more than a couple of days, you ground the name off, so no one would know.

I also park at Nick's.

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 23:29:19 pm »

Cal Look is not unlike our lives and views on the world... read: we all perceive it differently and should be treated as such.

To each their own.

I think Mark is running for office !
JK !
 Grin
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2011, 00:33:09 am »

To each their own.

I think Mark is running for office !
JK !
 Grin
Grin Grin Grin Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Bugsy

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2011, 01:18:46 am »

I´m on Marks line there.

Sorry! Didn´t whant it to be so long but could not stop.

For me who has got into this VW-hobby called "callook" fairly late (2008) it´s quite easy to get down buying copies for the price of it, though i have been reading about "Callook" since 81´. But the price of an "original set of BRM´s" is ridiculous.

So my point is.

You guys in So-Cal, your famous. Your way of living the VW-life is now GLOBAL. Thats why it´s taking it´s own expressions in looks and copies.There have been books written about you (twice). You almost have your own paper in Europe. Stop complaining about copies, its you everybody is copying beacuse you created all of this cool stuff. You have probably helped the beetle to survive some 30-40 years longer also. I would have loved living the life with you (probably could have also, but didnt take the chance when i got it). Now hard feelings here. Just whant you to open your eyes and understand what it´s realy all about. You have actually made some thing that has become worldwide. In forms that suits the different culture/market. But still in the spirit of what YOU created.

I remember a thread about where the callook would be in 10 years. Where do you think, if we didn´t have copies?

Back to topic, whats in and whats out in Trends. Wink

Regards Patrik

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2011, 02:06:21 am »

When did cal-look get so many rules ? 35 years ago in so-cal all you needed were three things, 1st a vw 2nd cool wheels 3rd lowering that vw with the right stance , O-YA a fine chick and beer!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 02:49:41 am »

Each person is entitled to his or her own personal tastes and opinions. What might appear offensive or unappealing to some may be quite the opposite for others.
Whatever floats your boat, different strokes for different folks, and judge not, lest ye also be judged are great sayings to abide by IMO.

Now, one trend that I wish would come back is cruising around town with just a stinger exhaust. What a blast that was back in the late '70s,early '80's! Cause no matter what displacement motor you had, it sounded bitchin'....until the fuz pulled you over.  Embarrassed  Ohhh and freeway underpasses at full throttle made all drivers piss their pants. Hehe! Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2011, 02:51:24 am »

I agree Keith ....!

Who "Cares" what the "Other guy puts on his car"...Ya think he "Cares what you put on your car"...??...Just drive and enjoy the moment ...And thank "God" people don't think the same...!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2011, 03:09:40 am »

When did cal-look get so many rules ? 35 years ago in so-cal all you needed were three things, 1st a vw 2nd cool wheels 3rd lowering that vw with the right stance , O-YA a fine chick and beer!!

Quite some time ago, my friend!
So, the question is ... WHEN? In what issue was this first printed???

Hope y'all all enjoyed the day ... Took Shoob's somewhat correct (LOL!!!) '67 back home today, all ready to hit the streets ... it was a good day.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:12:22 am by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: