The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:34:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Drag Racing in Phoenix Arizona
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Drag Racing in Phoenix Arizona  (Read 2869 times)
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« on: April 18, 2007, 19:32:28 pm »

We had a hell of a time in Phoenix this weekend!  The short mild winter was over, but everyone was eager to come out and show off their latest improvements.  However, the wind took its toll on the track surface with the blowing sand and dust.  Traction on the top end was not very well suited to driving a fast VW.  But we did see a 8.85 sec 159 MPH pass from Eric Madson in the Pro Mod class.

The car show had a few nice cal-look cars in there, and the swap meet featured tons of rust free, used parts that most of you would have sold your left arm for! Grin

I've got a ton of great photos of Burnouts and Wheelies that you can check out here.

Here's a teaser shot...

Towards the end in the finals, the crosswinds and deteriorating track conditions got the best of Ester Hollister caused her to spin out and crash against the wall.  The car is fixable, and rumor has it that she'll be back next month in Sacramento.

Enjoy the photos! Wink
Scott Faivre

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 05:33:06 am »

You didnt get the GTV in action Scott?! Geez! No respect! Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 21:20:46 pm »

I had one shot of it from behind when you were lining up to race and you had a 20.00 dial in.  Wink  That's alright, because I was dialed in at 18.09 in Vegas with the Hooptie! Grin

It wasn't the greatest pic, but I'll send it to you if you shoot me an email.  (I'm at school now, and don't have access to my mail and photos.)

Your car sounded good though.  It chirped in 1st and 2nd.  That wasn't clutch squealing was it?  It looked like tire scratch.  It looked better than a 20.00.  Were you sand bagging?

Scott Faivre

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:04:34 am »

The motor is 100% stock except for the Santana pulley and a 010 distributor- and Id bet good money that the motor has never been out of the car, that means the original clutch too!! I got rubber in 1st and a healthy chirp in 2nd, the track definitely wasnt prepped well if my little motor could do that! I was dialed at 20.10, I dialed a bit low since the wind started to change from a head on to a slight tail wind, I didnt want to break out. But I ended up losing by running a 20.32, exactly the same as my 2nd run! Best MPH was 63, no sandbagging!!! Grin

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 07:00:16 am »

Thanks for the pics Scott!! Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: