The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 22:36:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Who was doing IDA braces from the carb to the fanshroud?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Who was doing IDA braces from the carb to the fanshroud?  (Read 5243 times)
Matt Tobias

« on: March 30, 2011, 22:48:12 pm »

Does anyone besides me remember seeing someone brace their IDA's to the fanshroud? I remember a few years back someone here was bracing their IDA's to the fanshroud to help keep manifolds from loosening up.  They reported that it worked great. 
Whoever may have tried it, how did it hold up against the expansion of the motor after warmup?
Cheers,
Matt
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 06:30:45 am »

Not sure about that but the Palmers have their 48's braced carb to carb  (  no picture on hand)

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 13:56:31 pm »

I know Ivan has/had a problem with his IDA's working loose - maybe he has some info  Undecided

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 16:35:39 pm »

sorry, slightly off topic but has anybody gone the route of soft mounting their 48IDA's?
I know the DCOE side draft carburetors are required to be soft mounted with rubber isolators and special spring washers/nuts. Something I've thought about recently is if the IDA would benefit from similaer mounting? Which leads me to another question to myself, the issue of heat soaking the carbs full of fuel (after a good drive, then parking car for 20 minutes or so, then re-start car, engine runs poorly for a bit....), this has been an intermittent issue my car has has for a good few years now, still scratching my head as to why, I am beginning to wonder if the solid Berg intermediate mount is a contributor. A good friend of mine does a lot of hot rod 911 stuff and he says some of the guys insist on solid engine mounts and he's been seeing fuel issues as a result. Apparently the fuel "froths" up. Just wondering if there is a relationship on a solid mounted VW engine with Webers. Any thoughts?

Dominick Luppino

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 17:15:56 pm »

sorry, slightly off topic but has anybody gone the route of soft mounting their 48IDA's?
I know the DCOE side draft carburetors are required to be soft mounted with rubber isolators and special spring washers/nuts. Something I've thought about recently is if the IDA would benefit from similaer mounting? Which leads me to another question to myself, the issue of heat soaking the carbs full of fuel (after a good drive, then parking car for 20 minutes or so, then re-start car, engine runs poorly for a bit....), this has been an intermittent issue my car has has for a good few years now, still scratching my head as to why, I am beginning to wonder if the solid Berg intermediate mount is a contributor. A good friend of mine does a lot of hot rod 911 stuff and he says some of the guys insist on solid engine mounts and he's been seeing fuel issues as a result. Apparently the fuel "froths" up. Just wondering if there is a relationship on a solid mounted VW engine with Webers. Any thoughts?

Jim, BUGPACK makes Urethane Carb isolators for IDA & IDF Carbs.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 17:21:36 pm »

Really? Never knew. You going to be around Sunday?
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 17:54:47 pm »

Jim, i am using ceramic spacers between the manifold and carb to stop this.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:19:26 am by Lids » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 18:16:06 pm »

Really? Never knew. You going to be around Sunday?

I think my son might bring his car out Sunday if it's not raining.
Eddie DVK

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 22:43:59 pm »

Jim, my mate who is racing a alfa Giulia (with 40 DCOE s) also use those allu/rubber isolators... they are known in the racing world here in Europe

But there is a type4 company in germany who is selling them for 40mm IDF s
http://www.wilke-motorenbau.de/produkte.htm
look for ''Satz Schwingungsdämpfer'' 125,00 EUR

But can t find them for Ida s

Kind Regards Edgar
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 22:57:02 pm by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 23:09:24 pm »

Had some thick phenolic blocks when I had the Datsun and some thinner ones for the 40P11's on the '63 bug.  IDA's on tall manifolds are already too close to the deck lid so probably more trouble then it's worth.  I feel that manifold breakage (at least for me) may have something to do with how well the throttle shafts work in the carbs... any binding from worn accelerator pump rollers and cratered pump ramps makes mashing the throttle harder.  Something's got to give. 

DKP III
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:29:17 am »

Domminick,

Do you have the spacers in stock for the IDA's?  Are they urethane?

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 13:07:40 pm »

I thought these were more to help prevent heat transfer  Undecided

Thats why I used them on the "shortened" race trim manifolds I built - seemed to work pretty well  Smiley

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 13:38:54 pm »

http://www.csp-shop.de/produkte/14457b

More off-this-topic, these are the phenolic spacers for IDA's by CSP. Just let me know.

Harry
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 13:41:02 pm by Harry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 14:39:31 pm »

Domminick,

Do you have the spacers in stock for the IDA's?  Are they urethane?

Rick Mortensen

Hi Rick
Yes, they are in stock and made from a special formula urethane for the IDA & IDF carbs in red or black.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 14:43:58 pm by Dominick Luppino » Logged
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 16:16:33 pm »

Thats why I used them on the "shortened" race trim manifolds I built - seemed to work pretty well  Smiley

And i think these will solve jims problems, rather than vibration from solid mounts.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 19:33:35 pm »

Jim, see Rick Sadler on Sunday, he will bring a set.
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:15 am »

And i think these will solve jims problems, rather than vibration from solid mounts.

Hmmmm Ceramic isn't exactly "soft" and though they did help prevent the heat transfer I did find that the nuts from the carb to manifold (x3) did work loose after a long hard trash  Undecided

But as someone else has mentioned this maybe to do with incorrectly set up linkage - After all I did build the linkage myself  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: