The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 15:22:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350697 Posts in 28578 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Dragbug engine/head temps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dragbug engine/head temps  (Read 5027 times)
Bruce67

« on: April 12, 2011, 03:25:35 am »

Hey guys, I recently bought a drag bug and I am looking for some info on engine temps. How much heat should I have in the motor before a run and what kind of head temps should I see at the end of a run and what is cool enough to run again? What is considered too much heat? Motor is a 78x94, superflows, ida's, 14:1, fk89. Looking for actual numbers. Any help is appreciated. Thanks alot--Bruce. Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:17:51 am »

Difficult to give exact numbers, as I can't even remember f my gauges were in C or F, but I always tried to run the car up in the pits first to get some temperature in the oil, but then let the motor cool down for a little while to get the heat out of the heads. I liked the heads to be cool enough to touch, but you can still feel that they're warm if that makes any sense?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Bruce67

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 00:40:09 am »

Neil, that makes perfect sense. That will give me an idea of where I need to be. Head temps go up fast just idling, cant imagine what they will be at the end of a run... Shocked Thanks for your reply... Wink
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 09:29:40 am »

I'm also interested about it  - what temp is dangerous for heads?
Airspeed

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 13:12:09 pm »

You think there is a generic number for heads in general?

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Bruce67

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 17:55:28 pm »

I would imagine that there is a generic number for stock and very mild heads, but worked heads in a hi-po street car and certainly in a drag car, have got to be much higher. This must be a big secret or nobody knows...Come on drag guys, chime in...Seems like plenty of others are interested in knowing this as well... Undecided
bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 20:24:47 pm »

It was always my understanding/impression that valve seats start to come loose when you have extended head temps of 400 degrees or higher... I don't have personal experience, but that's what I recall reading when I asked the same question before installing a head temperature gauge.
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 23:34:58 pm »

It was always my understanding/impression that valve seats start to come loose when you have extended head temps of 400 degrees or higher... I don't have personal experience, but that's what I recall reading when I asked the same question before installing a head temperature gauge.
Thanks.
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 18:38:41 pm »

It's been a looooong time since I raced a VW but if my memory is correct, 350 on the head temp. was the "norm" after a run.  On a hot day (100 + degerees) it was not uncommon to see 375 degerees for the head temps.  I would always get nervous at 375.  I would always warm-up in the pits and then let cool before a pass.  As for oil temp., I can't remember what the actual # was.  Oil temp. never was an issue though, I was always keeping an eye on the head temp.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 18:53:54 pm »

It's been a looooong time since I raced a VW but if my memory is correct, 350 on the head temp. was the "norm" after a run.  On a hot day (100 + degerees) it was not uncommon to see 375 degerees for the head temps.  I would always get nervous at 375.  I would always warm-up in the pits and then let cool before a pass.  As for oil temp., I can't remember what the actual # was.  Oil temp. never was an issue though, I was always keeping an eye on the head temp.

This was my experience and ritual as well, almost exactly.
Anything over 375 and I got nervous. Either pretty hot outside or running too lean ...
When I run my streetcar now, I run the generator as a motor by grounding the feild to evacuate the hot air so it doesn't bake. Then at the end of the track, flip the switch back, put the belt on and drive back to the pits ... keeps it under control pretty well.
On the race car, I didn't run tin at all since their were no barrel fins, but I did keep an eye on the head temp ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Bruce67

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 22:02:12 pm »

Just letting my drag car warm up for 3 to 4 minutes sees 230+ on the heads, using a temp gun. I have had a few other people suggest warming up for a few minutes then let cool down to where you can touch the heads without getting burned, but they still have some heat in them. Then its ready for a run. Seems like after a burn out, staging, waiting for the other guy, and full throttle 8,000 rpm shifts for a quarter mile, with no fan, are going to put the heads temps into the stratosphere...I guess I will have to see what my temps are at the end of a run and go from there...
funnycarmike
DKK

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 22:57:32 pm »

Bruce, I think that is normal.  Mine would heat up extremely fast as well.  But you also need to remember that on a run, the fuel dumping in at wide open throttle keeps the head temp. from climbing.  Then when you shut it off, the temp climbs again.
Bruce67

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 03:37:30 am »

Thats a good point Mike, never thought about that. I do have 2 electric fans mounted on the motor to help cool things down a bit after a run. I remember reading some time ago how some guys would heat the oil outside of the engine with a hot plate then add the oil just before a run. I would assume this was to have the motor as cool as possible to make the most power but the hot oil provided the needed oillling in the motor. What would be too hot? How could you tell?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: