The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:35:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Murphy's Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Murphy's Law  (Read 13230 times)
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« on: April 17, 2011, 16:19:02 pm »

I would've posted this under the project thread of my car, but I need as many replies as I can get. Some may know that I've spent a number of full-time days with my club mate Jesse and my brother to get the 1915cc engine broken in and to get the car on the road. I won't start about the trouble we've run into already. However, believe you me I didn't name the thread such as I did for nothing...

Anyway, the engine is all done now. Apart from the Tayco linkage that hits the shroud with these manifolds... I need an offset bugpack U-bracket for the LH side. As I suppose those don't exist I'd best try to make one or have one made myself...

So, we pulled the car out of the garage to check the fuel lines for leaks. Only the 2 lines to the carbs have been altered. And what we found within seconds is that the IDAs would flow over massively with no stopping but the flick of the fuel pump switch. These are Italian IDAs with brass float and 2.00 needles and somewhat of a near correct initial jetting. We checked the float height and verified that it was 24.2mm already. Such as it is suppose to be, right?  Huh
24.2mm is what worked for Jesse's Spanish IDAs anyhow. But those have got plastic floats, does that make a difference?

Next, we secured the fuel lines after reassembling the IDAs and the banjos leaked again!! Ali banjos and steel bolts did not make good friends as I cracked the banjo tightening the bolt... This f-ing fuel system has cost a sh*tload but if it's not leaking it's overtightened...

Does anyone know the right size for the proper IDA banjo bolt. I'm hoping to find the right combination of steel banjo and banjo bolt at my local hydraulics shop.

PLEASE feel free to chip in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 21:05:13 pm by 67-indeed/DVK » Logged

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Hotrodvw

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 16:46:43 pm »

12mm Banjo....bolt should be a 12mm x 1.5 or 1.25.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 18:32:54 pm »

Dude you need to properly check the width/thickness of the banjo its self AND the length "neck" on the bolt - I had the same trouble with my new set up the manx and all I had to do is cut off approx 2mm of thread and it all went tight AND sealed  Smiley

Try not to stress dude This kinda shit is to be expected on such a build - we have ALL been through it  Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 19:03:41 pm »

thanks! i'm looking into different/new banjos and bolts might go with the ones Torques.co.uk sell or the stock ones but I'd prefer to get stuff nearby this time around. so that i can check right away and go back etc.

but could the wrong bolt cause the IDAs to flow over? i got my bolts off a fellow lounger who races a yellow vert  Wink  i figured they'd be the right ones...

the float seems to be fine and the needle valve is not stuck... i don't get it. fuel pressure at 3 psi and the whole setup floods with in 3 seconds or so...

last we did was pour in some fuel out of a bottle through the top inlet which is not used normally and the float seemed to be fine. we filled it up all the way and nothing seemed to enter the venturi.

could anyone verify the correct size for Italian IDAs? 12.5mm banjo and M12 x 1.25 bolt?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 19:36:29 pm »

I take it you are using fibre washers either side of the banjo, yes? You won't get a seal, metal to metal...

Also, check the float on the offending carb does not have a hole in it. It is not at all unknown, even on new carbs.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 19:55:26 pm »

i used aluminium banjos, steel bolts and steel washers. i'll have to have a look where to get fibre washers.
would you know whether an italian IDA takes a M12x1.25 or M12x1.5 bolt?

thanks on the tip about the float. i'll check it for holes replacements are quite pricey so I'll see about these first. thought the chance of both float being punctured would be quite exceptional. still thanks, i'll check them  Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Hotrodvw

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 20:02:10 pm »

banjo washers should be copper or aluminum only if they're metallic.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

tikimadness

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 20:11:42 pm »

i used aluminium banjos, steel bolts and steel washers. i'll have to have a look where to get fibre washers.
would you know whether an italian IDA takes a M12x1.25 or M12x1.5 bolt?

thanks on the tip about the float. i'll check it for holes replacements are quite pricey so I'll see about these first. thought the chance of both float being punctured would be quite exceptional. still thanks, i'll check them  Smiley
You can check thread with a normal m12 bolt Wink

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 20:21:09 pm »

Also, if there is a hole in the float, you can use solder to repair it.

Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 20:24:04 pm »

M12 x 1.5

Go for copper washers and replace them EVERYTIME you losen the banjo. Or go stat-o-seal.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 20:26:28 pm by Harry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 20:27:15 pm »

tiki, unfortunately i'm not near my car anymore. don't have it at home  Wink
but you're right.

keith, thanks for the tip. perhaps i should go back tomorrow and check!

eric, i used the washers i got from you. so they might have been aluminium.

harry, where do you get yours? and what's stat-o-seal?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 20:34:07 pm »

Normally used with fittings (731-6 Speedflow#) and larger hex-head banjo's but... (I buy my copper washers at the local hardware shop, not Wickes, Praxis ...) Plus check youre banjo length, if correct you can go even fiber when not overtightening them. My 0.5 cent.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 20:51:04 pm by Harry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Type1/DVK

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 21:08:11 pm »

i can bring some some seals next weekend.

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Hotrodvw

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 21:31:24 pm »

That's the bonded seal I was taking about, Died.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:06:11 am by Hotrodvw » Logged

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Lee.C

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 04:52:42 am »

I take it you are using fibre washers either side of the banjo, yes? You won't get a seal, metal to metal...

Also, check the float on the offending carb does not have a hole in it. It is not at all unknown, even on new carbs.

Not true dude - I had some original Weber BRASS Banjo's AND Brass bolts that used no kind of washer at all, I was very surprised but they did seal with NO washers  Smiley

Hotrodvw

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 05:06:58 am »

That don't mean it's right!

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 07:46:01 am »

having slept this over. i need to get some new banjos and perhaps bolts too.

but is there no other (possible) cause for the IDAs to flood than a malfunction float?
i had the feeling the float did not "drown" in the fuel when took off the tops of the carbs. they rose up like a buoy.

what i mean to say, i'll go and check about those floats. but if they appear to be fine, what's the next best part to look at?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Hotrodvw

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:51:04 am »

It could be as simple a junk in the needle and seat in the inlet valve.

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 07:52:25 am »

thanks eric, i'll blow it through with air then. i guess you mean that junk is preventing the needle from closing the inlet?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 08:24:59 am »

Not true dude - I had some original Weber BRASS Banjo's AND Brass bolts that used no kind of washer at all, I was very surprised but they did seal with NO washers  Smiley
Sorry, Lee, but Weber always supplied fibre washers with their banjo fittings... I have/had NOS ones in the original Weber bags I bought back in the late ’70s.

Check parts #52 and #54 on this illustration:

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 08:32:54 am »

where is part 11 located?
the pump exhaust.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:04 am »

The part your refer to as #11  is located in the bottom of the float chamber, if I remember correctly.

Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:14:12 am »

Sorry, Lee, but Weber always supplied fibre washers with their banjo fittings... I have/had NOS ones in the original Weber bags I bought back in the late ’70s.

Check parts #52 and #54 on this illustration:

Hmmm very interesting - Mine where weber items but they did not look like that  Undecided They had the weber logo and everything BUT they were designed to work with NO washers  Undecided

I might be wrong but they worked fine - I will try to find a pic of them  Smiley

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 17:44:57 pm »

The part your refer to as #11  is located in the bottom of the float chamber, if I remember correctly.

Keith remembers correctly!  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 18:09:00 pm »

Remembers what? I've forgotten now...

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 18:33:49 pm »

went to see my clubmate Jeroen today, we sorted out the float height. it was set correctly but didn't close the needle at the 5.5-6mm setting. we set it to approx. 4mm and it seemed to work find with the parts on the work bench.

after that we went for some new hoses, banjos on one side NPT on the other and a set of new 12x1.5 bolts. and with a few copper rings that Jeroen handed me everything was installed soon after I got back home:

however, completely in honour of the name of this thread... when i clicked on the fuel pump the engine got soaked AGAIN! this time around it wasn't the float height, or at least i couldn't test it long enough. it appeared one of the banjos wasn't centered and fuel squirts from the fitting:

anyway, one can only do so much. i will return to the shop to get a new fitting done. let's hope it'll be a matter of customer service and then once everything is sorted we might finally break in the engine.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 23:27:51 pm »

Remembers what? I've forgotten now...

You make this too easy Keith!  Grin

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 03:52:21 am »

Motor looks bitching Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 04:06:29 am »

No Zach.... bitching is what your girlfriend does when you've pissed her off...

The motor looks BITCHEN!   Grin
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:30:43 am by DKK Rick » Logged

Lee.C

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 05:59:44 am »

I totally second that!!!!!!! Awesome lookin motor dude  Smiley

My only concern is that Top Pulley  Undecided is it a chromed original or just a cheap one  Huh I did mention it before dude - I have seen a couple come apart and its not pretty so I would think about fitting an original VW item,
Just my 2 cents bro  Smiley

P.s here is a pic of those banjo's I was talking about - designed to work with NO washers/seals  Undecided Smiley
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 06:06:19 am by monkiboy » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: