The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:36:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  CARPET DYING
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CARPET DYING  (Read 4167 times)
johnl

« on: April 18, 2011, 23:24:36 pm »

I'm trying to replace carpet in one of my cars.  Originally this car was done in Hogs Hair which was a high end carpet of the day for expensive cars.  Problem is the only supply of this is in a tan-brown Hogs Hair color and I need it in a Cinnamon shade.  Has anyone ever dyed this type of carpet and if so what product and method was used?

Thanks,

John Lazenby

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 00:12:16 am »

I've never dyed carpet, only vinyl, leather, and plastic with good results. I've never heard of "hogs hair", nor has my boss and he's been doing auto upholstery for 44 years... he's worked on most everything Wink I presume this is for one of your 300's?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 00:41:01 am »

John, Have you tried Hirsch or LeBaron Bonney?
I know Wilton carpets are available in Cinnamon, but not exactly the same as Hogs Hair.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 00:51:06 am »

Wilton wool is very nice ($$$) carpet. German velour is also very nice, but more affordable. I assume hogs hair is cut pile, not loop?

johnl

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 17:09:30 pm »

Thanks guys for the input.  Hogs Hair was used in high end American cars starting in the 1930's through the mid 1950's.  Recently I purchased a 1953 Chrysler Imperial Newport (2 door hardtop), one of 823 built and one of 9 I've documented to still exist.  Mine is a 66K mostly original car.  The carpet has been replaced sometime in the cars history and I'm trying to bring it back.  I only have the original Hogs Hair on the bottom of the door panels.  Photos of the car attached.

John

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 17:55:29 pm »

It's hard to tell what the carpet looks like in the photo, but the car looks great Smiley

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 18:55:43 pm »

Sweet car!

johnl

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 21:09:56 pm »

It's hard to tell what the carpet looks like in the photo, but the car looks great Smiley

This is a car that I dreamed about owning since I was 6 years old.  My car is only the second one I've ever seen in person and trust me I know where these cars are.  In my wildest dreams did I ever think I would own one let alone one of this quality.  I strongly suspect this may be the best unrestored example in the world.

This car is truly like driving your living room around as it is that comfortable.  It makes hard turns about as well as a house would...  Wink Wink Wink  The photo is the Happy Owner at the wheel on a SoCal Freeway....   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

johnl

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 22:23:05 pm »

This is the only photo of the door panel with the carpet at the bottom I currently have.  What you are viewing is 100% original with the exception of the arm rest being recovered.  I took this photo when I first visited the car in San Luis Obispo, CA just after it was pulled out of a barn where it had been stored for 20+ years.  Within an hour after this photo was taken I purchased it.  That was July 17, 2010 Disneyland's 55th anniversary.  Christie was at Disneyland that day and I was having my own "E-Ticket" ride.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: