The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 22:30:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  rick wallace 62
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: rick wallace 62  (Read 23535 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 23:32:16 pm »

So that makes the Empi bumper bars a no no to? Roll Eyes  Grin

All The Empi Bolt Ons Were never a Part of the Past Cal Look that is all Resto Cal Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Well, Im not saying what is right or wrong, but I dont recall ever seeing a Cal-Look car with EMPI bumper guards until the 90s.  From what I have always been told, none of that EMPI stuff was popular "back in the day".  I can think of one magazine feature Cal-look car with an EMPI steering wheel for example.   Shubee could probably speak from more experience.
I am as big of an EMPI nut as the rest, but it really isnt Cal-Look in its most strict sense.

Look at some of the old Hot Vws You Dont See Any of that Stuff on the Cars Even The Empi GT steering Wheels?  no one ran them Either it was a Racemark,Formuling France,MOMO,Nardi, All the Others Came out On the Resto Cals

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well I hate to take on Cornie and Shubee in the same post but in 1983, my '67 had an EMPI Camber Compensator, an EMPI GT Steering Wheel, EMPI Bumper Guards, and EMPI Defroster Guides. Along with black powdercoated trim and stock seats. Also I know that Greg Brintons car had EMPI Bumper Guards at the same time. We bought them together.

The Empi Wheel did replace a Racemark.

Rick

All That Tells Me Is You two were ahead of your Time Rick LOL  PRE RESTO CAL you Guys Had LMAO need to start a new thread Now Pre Resto Cal  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 23:34:27 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 23:41:13 pm »

This is one area so many people miss an opportunity to really do something different  

You are SO right, Cornpanzer!
There are heaps of cool seats out there, I have had my sights on the 300 for years, I even started making some. until I found a pair of really special Recaros to put in it.
I try to think of my looker in a "small sports car" way and it seems this has led me down the same path as Wallace.

Empi might be rare and cool and all, but there is something weird about adding chrome doodads to a looker.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 23:44:37 pm »

Cal-look history is a fragile thing... it changes EVERY night at the Lounge....  I love it!! Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 23:47:22 pm »

I try to think of my looker in a "small sports car" way and it seems this has led me down the same path as Wallace.

I was into the small sports car thinking when I put my '67 together. I lived in a hilly part of Orange County and I loved throwing it around corners.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 23:48:06 pm »

Cal-look history is a fragile thing... it changes EVERY night at the Lounge....  I love it!! Grin

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Cornpanzer

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 23:51:51 pm »

All The Empi Bolt Ons Were never a Part of the Past Cal Look that is all Resto Cal

Well, Im not saying what is right or wrong, but I dont recall ever seeing a Cal-Look car with EMPI bumper guards until the 90s.  From what I have always been told, none of that EMPI stuff was popular "back in the day".  I can think of one magazine feature Cal-look car with an EMPI steering wheel for example.   Shubee could probably speak from more experience.
I am as big of an EMPI nut as the rest, but it really isnt Cal-Look in its most strict sense.

Look at some of the old Hot Vws You Dont See Any of that Stuff on the Cars Even The Empi GT steering Wheels?  no one ran them Either it was a Racemark,Formuling France,MOMO,Nardi, All the Others Came out On the Resto Cals

Well I hate to take on Cornie and Shubee in the same post but in 1983, my '67 had an EMPI Camber Compensator, an EMPI GT Steering Wheel, EMPI Bumper Guards, and EMPI Defroster Guides. Along with black powdercoated trim and stock seats. Also I know that Greg Brintons car had EMPI Bumper Guards at the same time. We bought them together.

Rick

Yes, but did you have a wink mirror like all the cool kids?

As I recall, you also had a louvered firewall, so how much credibility can we give you?   Grin Grin Grin 

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 23:58:59 pm »

No Wink Mirror! And yes a louvered firewall but that too was cal-look in 1983.

Wink

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 00:01:44 am »

And yes a louvered firewall but that too was cal-look in 1983.

That means it still IS!!  Grin Grin Grin

Cornpanzer

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2007, 00:09:35 am »

Here are the Scheels in the 911.  Now picture these in your cal-Looker.  Plus they are super light (17 lbs) and way comfy.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Andi/DFL

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 00:27:20 am »

I have a contact in Germany who will sell a complete Scheel 300 replica for approx 550 euro.

upholstering my stock front seats and the backseat in two-tone fat-bisquit design was around 800 euros. easy choice :-)

Cornpanzer

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 00:35:32 am »

Throw away the rear seat, buy two cool vintage sport seats and for only 400 euro more your car will be faster, more comfortable and unique.  Grin  j/k

Seriously tho, this isnt exactly a budget minded route.  But when I see $50,000 Cal-look cars with stock seats I wonder if perhaps some creative opportunities were not left on the table during the planning stages.  Not trying to be overly opinionated, just throwing some ideas out there.  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Andi/DFL

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 00:50:08 am »

I know what you mean. Personally, I'm not a big fan of this kind of seats, but there are indeed some nice ones available. Bielstein offers some nice seats, but they're not cheap

http://www.bielstein.com/BF-Sitze/bf-sitze.html

Andi/DFL

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 00:54:03 am »

cobra seats are also quite popular and not too expensive.

Cornpanzer

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 01:01:57 am »

My only beef with the Cobra seats is that they have metal framework instead of fiberglass.  Plus they are very small and dont offer a lot of lateral support on the backrest.

BF has a nice selection of seats and they actually are some of the most economical on the market for this type of seat.  Not cheap, but if you are looking to do something different, they are a good option. 
Wow, we have derailed this thread, eh.....sorry..... Lips Sealed

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Gary Justus

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 01:02:45 am »

this REALLY is pretty funny.......some of us ( with our faults ) still have AND drive our cars. i've chucked too much stuff, and am sorry......but.....(said it before) I'm still here.
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2007, 04:08:46 am »

All The Empi Bolt Ons Were never a Part of the Past Cal Look that is all Resto Cal

Rick

Yes, but did you have a wink mirror like all the cool kids?

As I recall, you also had a louvered firewall, so how much credibility can we give you?   Grin Grin Grin 
LMAO @ RICK  get him Corn LOL  I Dont Remember Louvered Stainless Firewall Ever Being A CAL LOOK THING If you going to Run that you need a WINK mirror and Toranado MIRRORS Then YOU CAN BE Cool That Was The HOT TICKET   NOT!!!!

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2007, 06:22:21 am »

Also I know that Greg Brintons car had EMPI Bumper Guards at the same time. We bought them together.

here's greg's car  featured in the vw trends note the stickers on the windows were dkk

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
LuftsickTero

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2007, 12:06:31 pm »

Lets pick it apart, what parts would you not fit if you were building this car today??
Lets hear it...   

Head light grilles woundn't be body colour.. Never liked the Talbot mirrors.. Without bumpers or both bumpers would have the overriders(?)

The HotVWs cover photo from the side is just awesome, I've always liked this car more than the Aaronson '63..

Painted headlight rings were very much a part of the true cal-look.  Bumpers with over-riders absolutely were not!  Smiley

So? The point was what would you not do/fit personally..

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Seems to be bit of a moving target.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:13:04 pm by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2007, 15:35:44 pm »

You got that right, even with our personal tastes thrown in to the mix, there is hardly any problem finding a historical alibi for what ever mods you want...  except Louvers ;-)

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2007, 16:15:54 pm »

I've got another one that you might not like, thinking of mounting blue dots in my rear lights.  I now it's more a hot-rod thing but I like it!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2007, 19:57:41 pm »

I've got another one that you might not like, thinking of mounting blue dots in my rear lights.  I now it's more a hot-rod thing but I like it!
Shubee is Loading his Gun Grin  Dont you Dare  Jelli   LMAO Grin Grin Grin Grin

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
deano

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2007, 03:18:45 am »

I spoke to Rick Wallace (now only known as just "Wally") today (5/25), and he told me that he sold his car around 1977-1978 for $3400, and it was later stolen and never recovered. I also told him that he has a bunch of fans here on this web site of his old '67s, which he just laughed.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2007, 13:48:45 pm »

Wow, that is a cool looking car. It’s good to see some cars that can't be summed up by stock exterior, stock interior, fully polished Porsche rims, big motor, nifty brackets. Sorry, but I find the current crop of "Cal-look" cars boring. But let’s not get to restrictive in our interpretation of Cal-look. Then we will be back in the same place, building cars to some pattern that never really existed. The individuality of this car is what makes it so cool.

Lets see some more period cars posted.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2007, 13:56:29 pm »

You got that right, even with our personal tastes thrown in to the mix, there is hardly any problem finding a historical alibi for what ever mods you want...  except Louvers ;-)

Actually, Dave Kanase's car had louvers on the decklid and it looked pretty cool. Another car I have always liked though I probably wouldnt do it myself.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: