The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:22:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  rick wallace 62
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: rick wallace 62  (Read 23235 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« on: April 26, 2007, 08:27:39 am »

and here's another cal look which marked its time : the india red 62 of  rick wallace  Shocked  rick was the painter at the vw chuck iverson  dealership in newport  the car was sitting on a set of fuchs who was screwed onn 356b porsches brakes drums redrilled to 5x130 porsches pattern
that car was the best of show at the bug in 15
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:34:03 am by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 08:33:10 am »

the  engine was an 1200cc who was displaced to an 1700cc he had an 32 ndix carb bolt on an berg manifold ,power pulley  ,full flow system added to the fan shroud , bosch 010 distributor , and muffler was screwed to an gene berg header  Cool

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:44:58 am »

inside there's an racemark steering wheel , vdo clock on a small console , stereo tape deck seat were scheel 300  , door panel were made by rick himself  he using rainbow patterned fabric & black leatherette  Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:46:24 am »

Wink

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:39:36 am »

OMG!! That's a sweet car!! Seems to be built in exactly the spirit I'm building mine in.
Doesn't it just look "real" (built in the old days)

Lets pick it apart, what parts would you not fit if you were building this car today??
Lets hear it...   

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Turtle001

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 10:03:20 am »

the red talbot looks weird

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 10:12:32 am »

How about that antenna ?

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 10:22:45 am »

may be change the red turn signal too a chrome to remind the chrome touch of the bumper  Wink
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 16:47:20 pm by speedwell » Logged

LuftsickTero

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:29:13 am »

Lets pick it apart, what parts would you not fit if you were building this car today??
Lets hear it...   

Center console, very 70's but I am happy that some tricks aren't around so much anymore  Wink All of the dahs mods center console has to be the most ridicilous one, sticks always out like dobermann pincher's balls  Grin

Head light grilles woundn't be body colour.. Never liked the Talbot mirrors.. Without bumpers or both bumpers would have the overriders(?)

The HotVWs cover photo from the side is just awesome, I've always liked this car more than the Aaronson '63..

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 11:54:57 am »

nice car

the black handle is not mi first choice, i would go for a chrome one. but the painted deails look nice, different but nice. maybe we'll go back to that look, if everybodies car resembles the next one...
maX cal-look

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 12:08:35 pm »

That's make me idea for mine ...  Roll Eyes
thanks Speedwell ... Wink

Like Luftsick, I not fan than center console ..  Undecided

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 12:38:39 pm »

How about the firewall? And the door pannels?

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 13:45:31 pm »

OMG!! That's a sweet car!! Seems to be built in exactly the spirit I'm building mine in.

Lets hear it...   
OK Guys There Should Be Nothing Bad To Pick Apart on this Car! It is apart of Cal Look History The Things that are Different Are the Owners Taste and Budget Building That Car, Thats what Made The Cars Different Back In The Day! Like you Said if you were Building it today the Changes you would Make?? The Problem Is You Guys All Build The Same Thing Think About It!!! Back in the 70's No two Cars Looked the Same. Today The Cars are Very Much the Same Different Wheels,Size Motors,Carbs,Steering Wheels,Paint Color, Everybody today Builds The Same Thing They Use Idea's they See on Someone else's Car,  If I Owned That Car Today it Would Be Built Just Like it is with Maybe One Change?  "MORE HORSEPOWER"
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 13:48:37 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 14:06:13 pm »

as we can see the dashboard has change rick added some 911 vdo gauges

jhu : why change the firewall the inside of the front headlight was made is the same spirit

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 14:09:14 pm »

jhu  may be not the right topic  Grin but watch the licence plate  Roll Eyes... Wink

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 15:02:40 pm »

hey hey, I didn't say it was anything wrong with this car. My point was lost along the way, but thanks to Shubee its now pretty clear. If we removed all "we" don't like today from this car, what would we end up with??  Another Generic looker...

I claim , to be able to build a period car, you need to throw a few curve balls... give them something to "hate"
Its all good Shubee! The looker of the future will be more like the first ones, not two will look the same. "Copying" is getting old... but  "inspired by" will live for ever!
Peace!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 15:38:09 pm by JHU » Logged

deano

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 15:37:37 pm »

"Wally's" car was way ahead of its time in some many ways. You really have to look closely to see all the small changes he made. Notice the painted OEM front turn signal shells, and the rear taillight bezels, painted handles, mirror. Also, he had a Haneline stainless license plate frame. In the engine compartment; relocated coil and oil filter, polished Motorola alternator with wires passing through the fan housing, 90 degree spark plug wire ends, and one of the first use of "plaid" seat inserts shown at the Bug-In....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Gary Justus

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 15:44:54 pm »

The "Garys" agree. Shubee, you are absolutely right. Budget, taste, and inspiration were all contributing factors back when "the look" was still emerging. Not everything on that car is what I would do, but certainly another great ride from days-gone-by.
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 16:00:28 pm »

Lets hear it...   
OK Guys There Should Be Nothing Bad To Pick Apart on this Car! It is apart of Cal Look History The Things that are Different Are the Owners Taste and Budget Building That Car, Thats what Made The Cars Different Back In The Day! Like you Said if you were Building it today the Changes you would Make?? The Problem Is You Guys All Build The Same Thing Think About It!!! Back in the 70's No two Cars Looked the Same. Today The Cars are Very Much the Same Different Wheels,Size Motors,Carbs,Steering Wheels,Paint Color, Everybody today Builds The Same Thing They Use Idea's they See on Someone else's Car,  If I Owned That Car Today it Would Be Built Just Like it is with Maybe One Change?  "MORE HORSEPOWER"

I agree on that Shubee....MORE HORSEPOWER and this car would be THE hot topic of 2007......just becuse it ROCKS!!!!! No need to put a "Cal-Look" sign on this one........................................just some rubber on the pavement!!! Smiley
Cornpanzer

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 23:03:03 pm »

Lets hear it...   

Center console, very 70's but I am happy that some tricks aren't around so much anymore  Wink All of the dahs mods center console has to be the most ridicilous one, sticks always out like dobermann pincher's balls  Grin

Head light grilles woundn't be body colour.. Never liked the Talbot mirrors.. Without bumpers or both bumpers would have the overriders(?)

The HotVWs cover photo from the side is just awesome, I've always liked this car more than the Aaronson '63..

Painted headlight rings were very much a part of the true cal-look.  Bumpers with over-riders absolutely were not!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 23:04:58 pm »

So that makes the Empi bumper bars a no no to? Roll Eyes  Grin

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 23:06:12 pm »

"Wally's" car was way ahead of its time in some many ways. You really have to look closely to see all the small changes he made. Notice the painted OEM front turn signal shells, and the rear taillight bezels, painted handles, mirror. Also, he had a Haneline stainless license plate frame. In the engine compartment; relocated coil and oil filter, polished Motorola alternator with wires passing through the fan housing, 90 degree spark plug wire ends, and one of the first use of "plaid" seat inserts shown at the Bug-In....
Shubee Thinks Dean Would Love to Get His Hot Little Hands On That Haneline Stuff I Know I Would. I Do Have a Pair of the Headlight Trim,plate frame,and Door Sills Never seen the Firewall Before Might have to Hit Ric up at Big Wig For One to use on my next Looker LOL

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Cornpanzer

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 23:07:25 pm »

I love the Scheel 300's in this car.  I have a pair of them in my 911....wonderful 70s era sport seats.

This is one area so many people miss an opportunity to really do something different  With so many manufacturers doing retro racing seats, why does everyone insist on putting OEM VW seats in their cal-look cars?  I have a contact in Germany who will sell a complete Scheel 300 replica for approx 550 euro.  Several companies do vintage Recaro race seat replicas.  Thats cool stuff IMO!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 23:08:03 pm »

All The Empi Bolt Ons Were never a Part of the Past Cal Look that is all Resto Cal

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Cornpanzer

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 23:11:31 pm »

Well, Im not saying what is right or wrong, but I dont recall ever seeing a Cal-Look car with EMPI bumper guards until the 90s.  From what I have always been told, none of that EMPI stuff was popular "back in the day".  I can think of one magazine feature Cal-look car with an EMPI steering wheel for example.   Shubee could probably speak from more experience.
I am as big of an EMPI nut as the rest, but it really isnt Cal-Look in its most strict sense.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 23:13:35 pm »

Look at some of the old Hot Vws You Dont See Any of that Stuff on the Cars Even The Empi GT steering Wheels?  no one ran them Either it was a Racemark,Formuling France,MOMO,Nardi, All the Others Came out On the Resto Cals

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 23:17:28 pm »

Well, Im not saying what is right or wrong, but I dont recall ever seeing a Cal-Look car with EMPI bumper guards until the 90s.  From what I have always been told, none of that EMPI stuff was popular "back in the day".  I can think of one magazine feature Cal-look car with an EMPI steering wheel for example.   Shubee could probably speak from more experience.
I am as big of an EMPI nut as the rest, but it really isnt Cal-Look in its most strict sense.
LOL MR EMPI HERE!!!  It wasnt Popular till mid 90's  They Did Make some Neat Stuff But  I Like Cal Looks  Not A Resto Cal with all the Crap on it.. If EMPI had Made Fender Skirts Someone Would Put them on there car Today and think it was Cool NOT!!!

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 23:18:00 pm »

I love the Scheel 300's in this car.  I have a pair of them in my 911....wonderful 70s era sport seats.

This is one area so many people miss an opportunity to really do something different  With so many manufacturers doing retro racing seats, why does everyone insist on putting OEM VW seats in their cal-look cars?  I have a contact in Germany who will sell a complete Scheel 300 replica for approx 550 euro.  Several companies do vintage Recaro race seat replicas.  Thats cool stuff IMO!  Smiley
NICE SEATS CORN!!!

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Cornpanzer

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 23:19:44 pm »

Of course I cant talk, I have an EMPI steering wheel, stock seats and (gasp) side trim still on my car.  Its like a goofy turbo resto-cal poseurmobile!  Grin Grin

Someday I will get the balls to re-do it and I will dechrome it, put my Racemark on it and find a cool wink mirror!  Wink

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 23:26:10 pm »

All The Empi Bolt Ons Were never a Part of the Past Cal Look that is all Resto Cal

Well, Im not saying what is right or wrong, but I dont recall ever seeing a Cal-Look car with EMPI bumper guards until the 90s.  From what I have always been told, none of that EMPI stuff was popular "back in the day".  I can think of one magazine feature Cal-look car with an EMPI steering wheel for example.   Shubee could probably speak from more experience.

Look at some of the old Hot Vws You Dont See Any of that Stuff on the Cars Even The Empi GT steering Wheels?  no one ran them Either it was a Racemark,Formuling France,MOMO,Nardi, All the Others Came out On the Resto Cals

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Well I hate to take on Cornie and Shubee in the same post but in 1983, my '67 had an EMPI Camber Compensator, an EMPI GT Steering Wheel, EMPI Bumper Guards, and EMPI Defroster Guides. Along with black powdercoated trim and stock seats. Also I know that Greg Brintons car had EMPI Bumper Guards at the same time. We bought them together.

The Empi Wheel did replace a Racemark.

Rick
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 23:27:41 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: