The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 07:34:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Just found out my Dells are apparently junk...sweet!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Just found out my Dells are apparently junk...sweet!  (Read 7338 times)
bugnut68

« on: May 17, 2011, 00:01:57 am »

Ah, yes, good news is great.  Just got word that my 45 Dells that I sent to ACE to be gone through and repaired for some internal leakage issues area apparently garbage due to a previous repair attempt.  Not sure what the reason is, as I plan to call and arrange to have these apparent paperweights shipped back tome and should know more soon.  Pretty sure it isn't anything I did, as all I did was install gaskets and seals and do a thorough cleaning.  Looks like my current engine build will continue to be an engine test stand prop for the duation!
kustomlarry

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 00:06:31 am »

Looks like a perfect time for idas....haha
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:59:39 am »

Heh... well, I'd really rather not go IDAs as it's my understanding they're a PITA to get running right for the street.  And I'm a one-man-band here in BFE where I live, as the sun rises and sets out here by the small and big block American muscle crowd.

Talked to Dave at ACE and he said that at some point someone drilled and tapped some passageways for little allenhead set screws.  They'are located on the corners of the body just above the butterflies, I believe on the outside part of the carburetors (not on the fan shroud side).  Apparently they were done poorly and the carbs are damaged to the point of not being repairable inside.  He also said it appeared the butterflies are bent.

I reassembled these carbs after cleaning them and installing new gaskets and seals, but did not "wrench" the little set screws hardcore by any means.  Whatever damage is present was there before I got them.

Bought them from an east coast VW guy in early '09.  I emailed him with the findings, but certainly don't expect any restitution.  I'm so pissed right now it's not even funny.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:57:53 am »

Quote;  Heh... well, I'd really rather not go IDAs as it's my understanding they're a PITA to get running right for the street.

Horse feathers!!   If you need help with IDA's just ask.  There's gotta be a hundred guys on this forum that can walk you thru
any set-up or procedure with 48's.  Wink

65bug

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:58:54 am »

bugnut,
     Thats a real bummer! Sorry to hear the news! I run 48 dells and love them. The dells are a much better high performance street carb then IDA's I love mine and would not trade them for anything else.
      I hope it all works out for you and keep us posted!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:20 am »

Looks like a perfect time for idas....haha
There's gotta be a hundred guys on this forum that can walk you thru
any set-up or procedure with 48's.  Wink

WORD! I love my Tri-Jets, but I do the "why didn't I get IDAs" dance in my head now so many times it makes me sad!

Plus, like Phil says, there's tons more info on tuning your IDAs then tips for Dells, sadly.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
glenn

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:57:30 am »

I've run dual Dells since 1977 and loved them. 4 years ago I got a set of IDAs done by Art. They are awesome and great on the street.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
65bug

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37:33 am »

I would strip them down for parts. Having spare parts will certainly come in handy for future use. Take everything you can off them thats usable! Wink
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:07:04 am »

I've been running dells for about 7- 8 years now ...!!!1...I love em....But gettin ready to step it up with IDA's Now..!!!...But will for sure miss my Dells..!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Chris bugster

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:37:11 am »

I see there are lots of Dellorto fans out there and I'm one too. I had a set of 45s about 15 years back and regret selling them more than all the other stupid stuff I did when I was young. I bought a new set of Spanish IDAs last year and they were in a poorer state than all the Dellortos that I've rebuilt even though some of them had been in a fire.

11.2@124mph
Fiatdude

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

perfect timing for you to go turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Jeff68

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 13:27:40 pm »

I run a set of ACE prepared Spanish IDA's on my 2110.  I had never run dual carburetors before and I was a little nervous too.  ACE prepared IDA's, Berg linkage, Berg IDA manifolds.......run great on the street, no problems at all.........I drove my car to work this moning.....nice Grin
Jeff
bugnut68

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 16:43:51 pm »

I should have mentioned the other factor at play here... $$$$$$$ Grin 

The good news is I emailed the seller and it sounds like he's going to work with me on coming to some sort of a resolution.  It may take a few weeks as he's currently laid up with injuries of some sort.  Bought the carbs from him two years ago almost exactly, but the engine didn't start coming together until last year and early this year, so they've literally been sitting in the box all that time until I cleaned and re-gasketed and sealed them last summer.  We'll see what happens, I reckon.
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 18:53:43 pm »

Wow ....now that sounds like a good dude....!!.....Hope it works out ...!!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
bugnut68

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 19:08:01 pm »

Yeah, I would honestly be happy with even just a partial refund... he bought the carbs in the same condition I did.  I would just as soon buy a pair of carbs ready to go from ACE rather than dicker around with carbs that need to be gone through.

I've got a pair of baby Dells in my collection that are clean, and I realize that they would seriously choke the engine down... considered setting them up to get the engine broken in at least, but I'm not so sure it would be worth the expense for jetting and vents and what not.
Bryan67

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

Let me be the first to say that unless you are building a 1600, do not use the baby Dells. If you look hard enough you can find Dells for under $200.00 on The Samba or CL.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 22:47:21 pm by Bryan67 » Logged

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
bugnut68

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 17:20:28 pm »

Let me be the first to say that unless you are building a 1600, do not use the baby Dells. If you look hard enough you can find Dells for under $100.00 on The Samba or CL.

I'm not really considering that at all.. they're going on a 1600 I plan to put together.
StrokerMcDell

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 19:42:18 pm »

Can you post up some pics of the set screws in the carbs .
The bent butterflies arent a problem and even if the shafts are bent the Dells use "universal" shafts so same shaft fits all carbs.

I cant envisage where or why the previous owner fitted the set screws ??

Regds

ACE 116
10.67 @ 123mph York 2010
10.89 @ 125mph York 2009
Momentum 99octane pump gas
bugnut68

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 20:22:16 pm »

Can you post up some pics of the set screws in the carbs .
The bent butterflies arent a problem and even if the shafts are bent the Dells use "universal" shafts so same shaft fits all carbs.

I cant envisage where or why the previous owner fitted the set screws ??

Regds

Don't have the carbs back yet, so pix aren't possible at the moment... the guy I bought them from purchased them from someone else like that, no idea why they were done.
youngnstudly

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2011, 00:48:29 am »

Are you set on running another pair of Dells? What size carbs are you looking for for your engine?

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
bugnut68

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 00:54:23 am »

I may end up running IDF Webers instead... got a line on a pretty nice looking set of 44's that came off a similar engine to mine, at least in terms of size.

I'm hearing Webers are known for plugging idle jets, but it's not like I'm going to be driving this car as a primary driver or anything.

They'll be going on a 2017 engine with 42x37.5 valves, 8.6:1 comp, Engle 125 cam with 1.25 rockers, 1-5/8" header with 2.5 inch dynomax.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2011, 01:16:33 am »

I got real good at doing Weber idle jets with the 44's on my old 1600 Roll Eyes As soon as I could feel it running on 3, I knew what the problem was.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 02:29:03 am »

I may end up running IDF Webers instead... got a line on a pretty nice looking set of 44's that came off a similar engine to mine, at least in terms of size.

I'm hearing Webers are known for plugging idle jets, but it's not like I'm going to be driving this car as a primary driver or anything.

They'll be going on a 2017 engine with 42x37.5 valves, 8.6:1 comp, Engle 125 cam with 1.25 rockers, 1-5/8" header with 2.5 inch dynomax.

perfect home for 44mm IDF
use Mahle KL24 fuel filter
youngnstudly

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 05:05:03 am »

Yeah, Weber IDFs are known for plugged idle jets but you can help yourself out a little by running 2 fuel filters (one at the tank, one at the transmission). In my experience, the idle jets aren't too bad to get to with the right manifolds, but if you have the CB tall (6-5/8") straight manifolds like I do, the idle jets are near impossible to get to. You'll know immediately when a jet is plugged, after you develop a "feel" for how your engine runs when it's properly tuned,  and it won't be a big deal. That's one reason I like the DRLA's over the IDF's...Easier to get to the idle jets.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
bugnut68

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 17:37:44 pm »

We'll see what happens... I'm not so sure plugged idle jets will be too big a deal for me to deal with since I won't be driving this car everyday, everywhere...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 21:26:38 pm »

True, but it's still annoying.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Bryan67

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 04:31:20 am »

CB sells hex head idle jet holders.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
bugnut68

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2011, 19:15:04 pm »

CB sells hex head idle jet holders.

I saw that... If I score these Webers I'll likely get a set of those.  I was planning on cutting access holes in my engine bay anyways...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: