The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 17:32:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  loc-tighting my cal looker???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: loc-tighting my cal looker???  (Read 4201 times)
65bug

« on: May 17, 2011, 23:52:01 pm »

He guys,
     I got a couple of questions. I am going through and checking everything on my 2165 and doing some mock-ups on things. I noticed on my 48 dells a couple of things when inspecting:
1. My screws that hold the top plates on the carbs( plate that holds the floats) had all backed out loose!!! Should I been using green loc-tite on these? Leaked some gas out along the edges and down the carbs!!!!! I want to make sure this does not happen again. Not good. No doubt more tuning with my LM1 will be in order now!
2. One of my manifold nuts also came loose! Again: Should I be using loc-tite one them as well??? What about the studs for the manifolds?
     Thanks Wink
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

The screws on mine have lock washers. I would think that would be sufficient.

Manifolds, now that's a whole separate problem!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:46:16 am »

I certainly wouldn't use GREEN on any of those fasteners ... then they NEVER come out.
Try blue at best, red on the manifold studs?
Take care ...

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 02:07:44 am »

I would use the thin wavy  washer they will do the job. I never had a problem with them.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
65bug

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 02:27:23 am »

Hi guys,
  Well I guess you all don't have quite as big a cam as I do................... Grin Cheesy My motor shakes like a dragster...................... Cheesy Cheesy Grin
     Thanks for the help you guys!!!!! My Dells are all original with the original lock washers on those screws!!!! How they backed out like that I do not know.
     Could the gasket material have gotten soaked with gas and they softened?Huh Causing the screws to loosen? Are there different gasket materials??
     Thanks TT for the help on the loctite!!! I thought green was the lowest strength!!! I stand corrected! Good thing I asked first!

Thanks! Cheesy Wink
qubek

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:38:59 am »

My Dells are all original with the original lock washers on those screws!!!! How they backed out like that I do not know.
     Could the gasket material have gotten soaked with gas and they softened?Huh Causing the screws to loosen? Are there different gasket materials??
Thanks! Cheesy Wink

That is strange. I use dells for some time now. I tinkered with a few pairs (none of them were 48's, but that should not make a difference, should it?) and never had such a problem. It didn't matter if I used new or used gaskets or if the screws had their washers or not (sometimes the washers were missing).
I would not use loctite. If there really is a problem with your dellortos, this would (maybe) just cure a symptom, but not the cause.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Felix/DFL

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:35:58 am »

For the manifolds:
I always use schnorr washers with the 10mm/M8 CSP nut. Never had a Problem with that combo.
The washer grips slightly into the material and holds everything together.
On many other parts I always use a dip of blue Loctite.

If your motor shakes like a dragster then there is one part of your problem.
Maybe it isn`t synch or not well balanced. Those vibrations "help" to get your parts loose without an wrench...

Fiatdude

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 15:39:39 pm »

Rule Number One -- -- Never Ever use Loctite on/in Aluminium, unless you want to spend your whole life installing inserts/Helicoils

All the options The guys have offered are great solutions and I have one more to add to the list, I too had an engine that shook like a dragster

With the high level of maintenance this bike had I was always having bolts loosen and threads get screwed up because of loctiting them into place. That is, until a old guy told me the best way to avoid bolts/nuts/screws coming loose is to put a dab of silicon glue on the threads just before you install them (I use clear, all of them work) It acts as a lubricant for the install, makes it so the the item will not loosen and does not tear up the threads (or any surfaces as a lock washer will sometimes do) upon removal. I have used it for 30+ (chit, it has been that long LOL) years, I have used it extensively on my current build and would highly recommend it, even as a additional safeguard if you're going to use a locking washer
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 15:54:13 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 17:40:41 pm »

X2

Done ? Not Yet.
65bug

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 19:56:34 pm »

Hi all,
   Thanks for all the feedback and great information! The "huge cam" was just a joke! Actually, I run a Pauter camshaft and love it! 268 intake/exhaust and 550 lift at valve. The car idles at 900 and runs great. Idles pretty smooth! All parts where balanced at Berg.
    Not sure why the carb bolts came loose. Possible the carbs drying out and sitting in the garage for about 5 months??? Gaskets drying out??? Not sure.

Fiatdude,
         Thank you for the info w/ the silicone!!! I am going to go that route. Seems harmless enough and A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER THEN LOCTITE TOO!

Felix,
       CSP has some really nice stuff! Pricey, but nice! I am thinking about giving their linkage a shot! I would love to close my decklid completely!

Thanks everyone!     PS I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!! GREAT ATMOSPHERE AND GREAT PEOPLE!

kingsburgphil

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 05:31:48 am »

QUOTE;  Not sure why the carb bolts came loose. Possible the carbs drying out and sitting in the garage for about 5 months??? Gaskets drying out??? Not sure.

A tip from the 60's...a THIN layer of Bosch grease on the intake gaskets  Wink

Something I wish I had since the 60's.   http://www.kemfast.com/content/adhesives-sealants/ez-grip-compound-new.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:03:16 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Balocco

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 21:48:23 pm »

Try Nord Lock washers. Even hand tightened they lock up like mad.

http://maintenanceonline.co.uk/maintenanceonline/?page=articles.asp&id=1837

http://www.berktechnology.com/shop/product.asp?P_ID=472

Type 1 59 fake split project, Type 1 "US 67", Type 2 61 11W sunroof, Type 2 1961 15W
65bug

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 02:47:41 am »

Hey Thanks you guys! I think I am not going to have any problems this time! Wink I am even thinking about going the CSP linkage and seeing if I can pick up single air cleaners for each stack. Then I can close the decklid completely without having to prop anything up Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: