The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 23:36:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Rechargable impact gun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rechargable impact gun  (Read 7468 times)
65bug

« on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:41 am »

Hey guys,
   Anyone using one of those rechargeable impact guns to work on their car? My wife bought me one of those oscillating scraper/grinder/cutter thingies for fathers day.. I do not really think I would use it all that much. However, a cordless impact driver could really save me alot of time. I only have a small compressor. so I thought a cordless would work well.
   Thanks
Russell

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:03 am »

yes i have a couple they are from sealy  (machine mart) and work really well better than noisy compressor  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:12:01 am »

i've got airtools and a compressor with insufficient capacity.
never heard of rechargeable impact guns. how about a visual e.g.? Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:14 am »

i've got airtools and a compressor with insufficient capacity.
never heard of rechargeable impact guns. how about a visual e.g.? Wink
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00917339000P?keyword=c3&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=L2

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:54 am »

pretty nice, is it as strong as an air impact gun wrt undoing bolts?
how does it differ from a good cordless drill/screwdriver like DeWalt?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:00 am »

i use this one

It's veeeery powerfull, you can undo a flywheel gland nut in 2 sec without blocking a flywheel - only holding it by hand.
65bug

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 14:47:52 pm »

Thanks! That Craftsman actually looks really nice. The price is right too. That Snap-On I am sure is better, and probably at least 3 times the price.
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 15:22:01 pm »

i use this one

It's veeeery powerfull, you can undo a flywheel gland nut in 2 sec without blocking a flywheel - only holding it by hand.

Expensive, but the best. I use mine loads.

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 18:12:44 pm »

I have been thinking about getting a Craftsman for a while now ...Price keeps gettin lower I have never used one ...? but use the other cordless tools they have that use the same battery and "loveThem"....! so I'm thinkin it will work well ..!

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 18:32:41 pm »

I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it works pretty well. I'll probably replace it with a decent one when it fails

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
mg

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 18:43:06 pm »

I have a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it works pretty well.
Same here, was like $30 10 years ago, when it fails I'll look at Makita.
The Snap on variable speed trigger is butter, mine is more an off on switch now.
They make bigger but 300 ft.lbs should be enuf,  Cool
http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/Default.aspx?CatID=5
fixed typo
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:55:30 am by mg » Logged
Fiatdude

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 19:32:25 pm »

I've got one and an electric (110v) one -- never use it enough so when I do want to use it, the battery is dead lol So I haul out the extension cord and use the plug in one -- I really like it alot -- has a lot more baulz than the cordless

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00927990000P?keyword=impact&prdNo=9&blockNo=9&blockType=L9
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 19:37:29 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Speed-Randy

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 23:22:25 pm »

The Snap on variable speed trigger is butter, mine is more an off on switch now.
They make bigger but 300 in.lbs should be enuf,  Cool
300 inch pounds is only 25 foot pounds.for axle nuts/ gland nuts, NOTHING beats a torque multipler tool, 300 foot lbs with a 3/8 ranchet all day long

RhoadsVW

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 00:04:51 am »

I had all the air tools but took most of them to Goodwill and have a couple battery tools.  Use them all the time.  No more dragging air hoses all over the place.  Really convenient.   Dave Rhoads

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
65bug

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 00:32:49 am »

Dave,
    I am wondering if the plug ins would be good enough for me here at the house? I know of a few of them that could really save me some serious time. The impact driver would be a nice place for me to start.

Thanks
jaqo

Bugster Team

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 00:53:03 am »

300 inch pounds is only 25 foot pounds.for axle nuts/ gland nuts, NOTHING beats a torque multipler tool, 300 foot lbs with a 3/8 ranchet all day long
Not true, i have a torque multiplier and it's very good for bolting things, but for unbolting them impact guns are better - don't have to hold or lock things like flywheel etc, and they are faster. Not to mention seized bolts i.e. suspension
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 00:54:43 am by jaqo » Logged
Speed-Randy

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 05:48:47 am »

Not true, i have a torque multiplier and it's very good for bolting things, but for unbolting them impact guns are better - don't have to hold or lock things like flywheel etc, and they are faster. Not to mention seized bolts i.e. suspension
Your right, putting a bolt thru a flywheel locking tool is just SO time consuming. Not to mention how much fun extracting broken  gland nuts from a crank shaft is. Trusting that a battery is at full charge to get to 300 foot lbs, are you sure? I have a tool drawer full of pneumatic tools that never get used. Mainly because I like FEEL the ratchet tightening the bolts so I KNOW that it wasn't cross-threaded and going to snap when it hits 30lbs. 

Diederick/DVK

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 09:27:40 am »

firstly, i never knew these rechargeable impact guns existed, thought it was an air tool only. then idid a little searching on the web but found that the makita guns at least cost 300-400 euros!! wowzers, are there any cheaper, fair-enough items available on this side on the pond?

snap-on is prob. expensive and hard to come by here.
and craftsman is sold in U.S. only?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
mg

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 13:10:25 pm »

Cheaper version, rated 211ftlbs.
http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-12-cordless-impact-wrench-67845.html
I just use it to remove lug nuts.
qubek

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 14:11:16 pm »

Your right, putting a bolt thru a flywheel locking tool is just SO time consuming. Not to mention how much fun extracting broken  gland nuts from a crank shaft is. Trusting that a battery is at full charge to get to 300 foot lbs, are you sure? I have a tool drawer full of pneumatic tools that never get used. Mainly because I like FEEL the ratchet tightening the bolts so I KNOW that it wasn't cross-threaded and going to snap when it hits 30lbs. 
I'm not trying to convince you, as I guess you will stick to your opinion anyway, but I'll say that I use the snap on one only from time to time and still it has already saved me probably a few hours of work. In case of jaqo, whom I see with this tool all the time, you would most likely have to count the saved time in days.
We're not talking about tightening the gland nut with it. You need a torque wrench for that, so a torque multiplier is the right tool for the job.
But for unbolting  - it's so much faster and easier (especially when you're working alone and there is no one around to give you a hand) and this should be obvious for everyone who had a chance to use both this tools for this particular task.

As for this specific snap-on tool, it proved to be surprisingly useful. The trigger works great. I'm not talking about obvious things like removing rusted nuts in seconds without damaging anything, drilling, repairing threads etc, or removing rear brake drums or flywheels. Even simple tasks, like bolting and unbolting wheels... sure, this things can be done easily in a normal way, but with this gun, it's faster, and if you have to do it a few times during a day. Or this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UG58c9NDewg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UG58c9NDewg</a>  Smiley
I know it's silly, but what I want to show is that it is far more useful than I originally thought.

I don't say that craftsman on is much worse (or at all). I have access to snap on, I never tried craftsman.

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
65bug

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:04 am »

I just want a decent one to use in situations where I have alot of bolts to remove. You know, lug nuts VW fenders and so on. I think the Craftsman plug in model would be fine for me. I bet it has more oats too then the rechargeable units! Wink
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: