The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:08:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DRA @ the Classic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DRA @ the Classic  (Read 17749 times)
edcraig

« on: June 14, 2011, 05:45:58 am »

Another good VW Classic.  Lots of great cars and I really enjoyed talking to everyone.  I'd also like to thank the guys in DKP for sharing some of their space for Marc and myself.  We were hoping to have another...and maybe last... "massive" two car DRA display.  With their help, it worked out.

Although I'm happy that Marc survived another trip with his car from Washington to So Cal, I'm a little worried that all the attention he's been getting with his car might be going to his head.  I've noticed some slight changes in his wardrobe.  Probably just my imagination....    ;-)

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 05:47:38 am »

HAHA!! Great picture of Marc, Ed! Well written post, too. Always cool seeing you both and your cars.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
2manytoys

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 05:51:38 am »

I agree, great picture of Marc. Ed, it was great to meet you and finally see your beautiful ghia in person and not just the teaser pics. It was also a pleasure to meet Marc and check out his ride too.

Patrick (p.s...that would be my Strato oval rag in the picture of Marc doing the night club Hula....He didn't arrive like that, did he?)

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
edcraig

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 15:17:11 pm »

Oh Marc wasn't doing the hula.  That was his power pose!
deano

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 16:26:41 pm »

Now, that's the Marc I remember from the '70s!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 16:39:11 pm »

That should be the "OFFICAL" uniform of all former AUTO HAUS employees.    Cool Cool Cool

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 17:14:57 pm »

"Captain Fantastic"

Grin Cheesy Smiley
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 21:11:40 pm by Richard Roth » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 22:50:40 pm »

Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
marc1951

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 23:39:58 pm »

....He didn't arrive like that, did he?)

Yes.....I arrived wearing shorts  Roll Eyes

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 23:56:43 pm »

Ed and Marc it was nice to see you guys there.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
edcraig

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 04:27:21 am »

Patrick,

Good to meet you too.  Great looking Oval!!
Rennsurfer

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:49 am »

That should be the "OFFICAL" uniform of all former AUTO HAUS employees.    Cool Cool Cool

Wait a sec... we can take this to the next level and show up to the next car event dressed as such. Group photo to top it all off.

Grin

~Sarge
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:23 am »

Did Marc get the fuel problem dialed in ? , I hope so , just a killer looking car , its gotta run killer too!!!           KG
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 17:51:21 pm »

For the first time ever, I'm glad I never worked at Auto Haus!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 20:18:09 pm »

Wait a sec... we can take this to the next level and show up to the next car event dressed as such. Group photo to top it all off.

Grin

Please no SPEDOS   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 01:00:00 am »

Please no SPEDOS   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Agreed, John. No nut-huts or banana-hammocks, PLEASE. Thank you.

~Sarge
edcraig

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 04:35:34 am »

Talk about thread a hijack!?!   Grin

OK...back to the subject!  Here's a pic on Marc's motor at the Classic, and a DRA heritage photo from the mid 70's that I colorized.

marc1951

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 05:32:26 am »

Did Marc get the fuel problem dialed in ? , I hope so , just a killer looking car , its gotta run killer too!!!           KG

Kieth,

The Bug-In problem was a main jet holder out about 2 turns (it was tight but not seated) and the glue that bonds the linings to the brake shoes gave up after 35 years (I had no brakes).
After fixing those, the car ran great but now I have problems with the mag (sometimes it starts, no problem.........sometimes it doesn't). I dropped the mag off at Joe Hunt on the way home.

We spent Monday night in Medford............couldn't quite make it to Roseburg. Grin
Next time down, we'll just kidnap you.

Frenchy,
thanks, it's always good to see you too.  You know you were once a member of DRA..............surely you could spare one of your cars to join us......I have some decals...<grin>

or we need to bring in new members and call it....DRA II......or to outdo DKP...we'll call it.. DRA V. ... or we could merge with DKK and then Fred would be DRADKK_Fred!

As far as the Auto Haus "uniforms".......I have always been a style setter (I invented the Hawaiian shirt)...but you guys are scaring the hell out of me!

Marc

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 05:57:06 am »

Marc, you have my #, so anytime your passing through, or anyother time for that matter feel free to give a call. Looks like you guys had a good trip.       Keith
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 16:05:20 pm »

Marc, I love your linkage! Simple and beautiful!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 13:54:02 pm »

Marc, you have my #, so anytime your passing through, or anyother time for that matter feel free to give a call. Looks like you guys had a good trip.       Keith
deano

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 18:26:20 pm »

Everytime I looked at Marc's car, something else happened to it. Yikes! Please, step away from the car. And despite being towed away from the photo session, all things turned out well. Congrats to Marc.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 18:50:03 pm »

AWESOME to see Marc's car on the cover, Deano.

~Sarge
2manytoys

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 21:21:13 pm »

Wow! nice cover shot! Congrats Marc.

Patrick Friel -..2manytoys, not enough time or money
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 03:28:08 am »

Richard , I really like that picture,its really worth a thousand words, its true Marc didnt recognize me until he saw my nametag , but I did know him right away, you see, Marc left quite an impression on me way back when I was the "kid" that worked at Fleming & Aronson.  Split windows ,to me have always been the best VWs, Marc had one with BRMs & a big Weber motor , to me the "kid" , well , it doesnt get much better than that.  Seeing him and his car still together after all these years is awsome , Marc , nobody is more worthy of a Hot VWs cover story then you my friend .  Also Marc , thanks for all the negative comments about my ugly piece of crap car back then , you helped fuel my fire to build a good car .                 Keith
marc1951

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 04:08:41 am »

Everytime I looked at Marc's car, something else happened to it. Yikes! Please, step away from the car. And despite being towed away from the photo session, all things turned out well. Congrats to Marc.

WOW!!
I'm humbled.....Wow!

Yup, it has been frustrating. I stopped by Joe Hunt on the way back from the Classic and it looks like my problem has been the mag (coil meltdown). It's amazing the thing started at all. I can hardly wait to get it back and actually be able to start and drive the car without it crapping out on me.

Well, it's certainly not a professionally built show car, but there it is....on the cover!
WOW! Thanks, Dean.

Marc
DRA

edcraig

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 04:41:02 am »

Just for the record... This is the first and only DRA car ever to grace the cover of HVW's.   Glad to see Marc, his car, and DRA get some well deserved recognition.  And it only took 40 years! 

...Ed

Founder of the legendary DRA
marc1951

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:38 am »

Richard , I really like that picture,its really worth a thousand words, its true Marc didnt recognize me until he saw my nametag , but I did know him right away, you see, Marc left quite an impression on me way back when I was the "kid" that worked at Fleming & Aronson.  Split windows ,to me have always been the best VWs, Marc had one with BRMs & a big Weber motor , to me the "kid" , well , it doesnt get much better than that.  Seeing him and his car still together after all these years is awsome , Marc , nobody is more worthy of a Hot VWs cover story then you my friend .  Also Marc , thanks for all the negative comments about my ugly piece of crap car back then , you helped fuel my fire to build a good car .                 Keith

Keith, Keith, Keith...........
The first time I met you, I knew you were destined to create the "World's Most Beautiful VW".I was driving to the shop when a bright light caused me to pull over to the side of the road. It was then that a voice in my head told me that it was my mission to spur you on to VW greatness. I devised a plan where I would taunt you with my car while continually reminding you that your car was just junk. Yes it was me and my brilliant plan that led you to build a good car,.. nay..... not just a good car, but the best car!...............

........ahh,now that I've taken my medicine, I realize I had never heard of the "World's Most Beautiful VW" back then and I think that light was the Anaheim police......and that voice was the officer telling me my car was too low.........and come to think about it, I've never had a brilliant plan in my life and I only teased you about your car because you were such a good natured guy who was very likable and a good sport.....and I had absolutely nothing to do with the incredible Keith Goss chopped top street machine.....it was Keith Goss.

But thank you, anyway, I appreciate the kind words (even if you are full of shit). <grin>

Marc

Fiatdude

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 06:38:31 am »

Man -- Lance sure looks short standing next to Jon

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch