The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 03:39:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cam break-in any tips?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cam break-in any tips?  (Read 3561 times)
peach_

« on: June 24, 2011, 18:14:56 pm »

I did a search on here and couldnt really find anything, so i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips from past experience?

Cheers

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 19:16:54 pm »

use single springs, 2500 rpm for 30 mins, lots of lube

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 19:30:15 pm »

Use a good oil with suitable zinc content... I used Delo brand oil and added Lucas brand ZDDP additive.
peach_

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 19:33:09 pm »

Iv put in valveoline VR1 (20-50 i think?) to start with or should i do the break in with something else?

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
FDK/mrpedrini

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 22:39:56 pm »

use single springs, 2500 rpm for 30 mins, lots of lube

Can you explain why to use single springs? (because of pressure?Huh)

Regards, Dennis
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 22:46:37 pm »

yes, once the cam is run in put the other 2/3 back.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 17:24:04 pm »

it's important you don't build the shortblock with lube, then test for geometry/full lift/valve to piston clearance. You'll wipe all the lube off the cam and lifters. All that stuff needs to be done while mocking motor up. Then make sure you prime for oil pressure before you install plugs and pushrods and rockers. After you have oil pressure for 1 min, then immediately get plugs in (carbs on if they're in the way) and pushrods and rockers. I leave a few extra thou in valve clearance for break in too. Make sure everything is well oiled. Last 15 years I broke in against dual springs (ERCO triples once) and haven't had a cam die.
I use molydisulfide lube mixed with STP. Break in for 2500 rpm for 15 min, let cool, check/adjust valves, run for another 10 min, drain oil (check filter if inspectable) adjust valves to what your cam guy says, then refill and go.
Jim
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 17:26:59 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
Fiatdude

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 04:53:18 am »

I just broke my engine in with K800's with no problem -- -- The best oil I've found with the highest Zinc ratings in the Mobile1 Syn for V-twins -- comes in 10w40 and 20w50 depending for the time of year -- I've got the 20w50 in there right now and it pegs my oil gauge for a while until it warms up -- this stuff is very slick too, spilled some on the concrete floor and wiped it really good -- about 10 minutes later I walked over the area and about slipped on my butt

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 20:47:36 pm »

Jims suggestions are right on>> The BIGGEST problems I see on a regular basis when it comes to break in is... 1)not being patient enough..2) the engine should be READY to fire PRIOR to break in....MANY have wiped the cams clean prior to fire up trying to problem solve. Have always had good fortune using Valvoline racing oil/ has generous amount of zinc. I use Mobil 1 in many v8s. Used it first time while working at a Mobil station in 1971 and a large percentage of the new users had to come back to have the idle reset lower as the introduction of the Mobil 1 provided much less friction....but have used Valvoline racing oil in all of my VW's for over 4 decades with no adverse problems. With more detergent  in most racing oils one must change the oil on a more regular basis than conventional oil/my experience.  Good Luck...!!
stussyrich

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 21:29:09 pm »

I did a search on here and couldnt really find anything, so i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips from past experience?

Cheers

never trust a ginger. oh and for f**k sakes just turn the key already.

Lil Stink Hound.. 2332 IDA. 11.78 @ 112mph.

Turbo Notch.. 2332 Turbo 10.2 @ 137mph.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 21:40:42 pm »

Jims suggestions are right on>> The BIGGEST problems I see on a regular basis when it comes to break in is... 1)not being patient enough..2) the engine should be READY to fire PRIOR to break in....MANY have wiped the cams clean prior to fire up trying to problem solve. Have always had good fortune using Valvoline racing oil/ has generous amount of zinc. I use Mobil 1 in many v8s. Used it first time while working at a Mobil station in 1971 and a large percentage of the new users had to come back to have the idle reset lower as the introduction of the Mobil 1 provided much less friction....but have used Valvoline racing oil in all of my VW's for over 4 decades with no adverse problems. With more detergent  in most racing oils one must change the oil on a more regular basis than conventional oil/my experience.  Good Luck...!!
getting all the checks for valve timing, geometry, valve to piston, full lift vs coil bind, etc takes monumental time, one reason it takes me months + to get one motor done, all has to be done before the first few things bolted together. I think too many guys get anxious to get the short block done, then start spinning motor over a million times, against spring pressure (!) and all the cam lube gets scrubbed off. On some motors, I even pre set valve lash (why I give a few thou extra) so it's just get motor 90 between TDC and BDC and bolt 'em on, flood with your good oil and fire it (after priming first).
RhoadsVW

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05:34 am »

I just start the motor straight away. I start with what ever valve springs are on it. Dual, single, or K800's.  Don't care.  I have the carbs already full of gas and pumping and have timing already set close and start. No priming for oil pressure because after you spin the motor over and over priming if you have rockers on you wipe the assembly lube off the cam. If you have the rockers off by the time you get them back on and adjusted the oil has drained back down. Make sure you fill the oil filter before putting it on.  If everything is ready with carbs and timing when you start the motor the oil pressure comes up in just a second or two. Double check timing while it's running and let run and break in. This is the way I done it for ever. I have lost one cam about fifteen years ago. It was a FK 89 that the customer supplied used and said it only had one dyno run on it. I put it in and it went bad within a few hours. Also I feel that if you change from a single spring to duals or K800's that you change the wear pattern on the cam and lifter with more chance of things going bad. Good luck with everything.  Dave Rhoads
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 22:50:46 pm by RhoadsVW » Logged

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 19:25:45 pm »

Some great proceedures mentioned here.
The only 'ritual' I use worth mentioning is before startup. I don't bother to pull the pushrods or rockers or any of that. Before cranking, fill the filter and lines and prime the engine by pressure feeding oil in through the sensor hole in front of the distributor ... you can use a pressure tank or simply feed it with the use of a 'squirt' gun. I usually put in at least a quart, sometimes 2, then top it off having preset timing and fuel in the carb(s) prior. Keeps my mind at peace because the light goes out near instantly.
The rest is pretty much the same ...
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: