The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 20:37:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old VW pics, bug in, bugorama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Old VW pics, bug in, bugorama  (Read 21070 times)
marc1951

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 04:32:24 am »

great story about desperation, you forgot the part about the original builder/fabricator being killed in some bar fight (if I remember correctly).  I was at that first drag as well and have some pictures of it also.  I bought my oval from Rich and still have it.

after it was painted yellow.
jim

Yeah, I don't remember the details, but I do believe the guy who made the body did die in a some strange way. The whole deal was strange......we heard about the guy, found him, paid him $700 (I think) up front, never saw any examples of his work, and came back in a couple of weeks and picked up the body. You could see the outline of the masking tape covering the air intake and the body was rough. It had only 1 working door and it was up to us to figure out how to make it work.

Rich worked for me and is a super great guy. I can't remember his oval....but then I can't remember a lot of things! <grin>

Sorry for going off subject....

Marc
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 06:07:48 am »

Marc

Thanks for the DRA stickers and the rally dash plaque.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Larry S

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2011, 19:11:02 pm »

Mark,
Sorry I forgot about you being involved with Desperation! I do remember now (thanks for the reminder). I use to go hang around the LaHabra Auto Haus after school, my buddy Aaron worked there. I always liked that car and was in the stands at OCIR when Rich crashed it. I had the 4 quart deep sump off of Desperation on my 57. It had holes drilled in it because the filter was bolted to the side, I had them welded up so i could run it on the street, i bought it when Dave and Rich were going to build a vw dragster instead but they never did. I bought some parts off of Rich when he opened a VW shop in Downey also. When they decide not to build the dragster I also bought the accusump and Aaron bought the 89.9 autocraft pistons and cylinders.
I attached a few more pics, first one is the banner we use to hang in our pits, Star Drywall was my Dad's company that sponsored the cars.
second one is the vanity plate off of my 57 now hanging in my garage
third is a old Bug o Rama poster for Bug O Rama 20, it has some neat cars on it, G. Browns dragster my brother drove, Dave Folt's turbo dragster, Carey Taylor's car, Dave Perkins car, Pat Nelsons car, and not sure who's Ghia it was (sorry). I have the poster hanging in my garage now, not perfect shape but is still cool.

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2011, 17:19:24 pm »

Old Bug In pic

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 21:13:18 pm »

stole this off of a friends facebook page  "praise the lowered"

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
Larry S

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 18:20:45 pm »

Found a old pic of one of the Bug In queen competitions, I know two of the girls but will not name anyone to protect the Innocent!
Larry

58vw

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 18:46:50 pm »

love all these old pics...use to have so many....i lost them in my divorce!! Cry

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
volksnut

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 13:12:45 pm »

love the stories and cool pix....thanks
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 16:53:34 pm »

I remember seeing the pictures in their shop and elsewhere, but what was the story behind the tiger pictures at GBE?

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 17:37:37 pm »

Cool pic's  Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 17:58:26 pm »

I remember seeing the pictures in their shop and elsewhere, but what was the story behind the tiger pictures at GBE?

If I'm not mistaken, the Bergs had a neighbor or friend that had and/or trained the tiger .... so they brought them over for these pics.
Correct? Anyone?

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Larry S

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 20:38:02 pm »

I believe it was someone they knew. I remember when Dee held a big birthday party for Gene at the shop, not sure which one but it was during the Race For The Gold time frame. The tiger was brought over during the party. Could have been other times also but I remember that time.
Larry

kingsburgphil

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:07 am »

If I'm not mistaken, the Bergs had a neighbor or friend that had and/or trained the tiger .... so they brought them over for these pics.
Correct? Anyone?
Correct Tom, we were told there was a neighbor in the same industrial park that kept the tigers. I remember being able to pet it and being scared
to death it would maul or eat me. One other notable thing that happend at Gene's party. Someone hired a lap dancer for Gene....Frankly you
could see Gene was embarrassed, not surprising since Gene always struck me as a modest and private man. My memory is a little fuzzy, but I
think it was his 50th. birthday party.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: