The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:22:57 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Old VW pics, bug in, bugorama
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Old VW pics, bug in, bugorama  (Read 20723 times)
Larry S

« on: June 25, 2011, 23:48:21 pm »

I have started digging through my pictures and scanning them. I have a bunch of them so I will add them as I can. I hope you enjoy them.
One is waiting in line at OCIR for a bug In or drag day, sorry can't remember, one is Lee Leighton going through the lights at OCIR, One is the Different Strokes for Different Volks II car that crashed, last one is my brother Rod Jr's 53 split
Larry

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
Larry S

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 23:56:17 pm »

Some more pics, A car that crashed at the Bug O Rama Septeber 1982, dont know whos car it was but was watching from the line when it took off, My Dad Rod Sr. is in the one pic checking out the damage. Desperation drag car that belonged to Dave Folts and Rich Firsch (not sure on the spelling), one of the first one piece fiberglass VW bodies that I can remember racing the Engine Masters cars from Sonoma Ca. Lee Leightons car at Antelope Valley I think, cant remember who the clown was.
Larry

Larry S

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 00:03:44 am »

Me getting out of my Dads (Rod Sr.) 51 Split, Orange county track home, long hair and OP shorts! not quite the same pull Sum Fun had! Gotta love those cable brakes. Pic of the 14" alloys I had on a couple of different cars.
Larry

Zündfunke

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 00:04:04 am »

Wow! Great pics! Thanks for sharing!

Is it Ronald McDonald on the last one?! I knew he´s into racing!  Cheesy

BURN OUT Syndrom
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 00:07:18 am »

Larry that's great! And thanks for sharing the little stories related to the pictures too.

Cool Cool

Larry S

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 00:20:37 am »

Me, Rod Jr, and our friend Doug at Bug O Rama IX, Rod Jr leaving the line at OCIR racing at Bug In running bracket 1.

Larry S

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 00:40:36 am »

Sum Fun at Bug O Rama IX, scan from old VW trends, nice wheelie shot from the back.
Larry

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 03:00:55 am »

Some more pics, A car that crashed at the Bug O Rama Septeber 1982, dont know whos car it was but was watching from the line when it took off, My Dad Rod Sr. is in the one pic checking out the damage. Desperation drag car that belonged to Dave Folts and Rich Firsch (not sure on the spelling), one of the first one piece fiberglass VW bodies that I can remember racing the Engine Masters cars from Sonoma Ca. Lee Leightons car at Antelope Valley I think, cant remember who the clown was.
Larry
This red car looks like Mike Hemsley (sp?)  It was out of Roger Crawford's shop. He built another car that looked just like it. He ended up selling that car to Matt Forquer and it met a similar fate. I still have some misc. little parts from Matt's on my car to this day.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 03:14:16 am »

Every time I see one of those mangled gassers I'm amazed that there was never any fatalities.

Thanks for sharing the pics Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dan Ahrendt

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:46:48 am »

Thanks for sharing the pics ... I like the old days... hope you add more  Grin

Larry S

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 13:57:21 pm »

My Oval back from Santini's paint shop in 1984, went full cal look, dechroming, one piece windows, filled in dash with diffrent gauges, etc. I had Becker's Bug House do some work also. My oval sitting in my brothers garage while I was assembling it, if you look close you can see Sum Fun in the background, sisters 66 Ghia vert, Dads 51 split under cover, Gene Browns strip teaser II VW dragster my brother drove for Gene. Sum Fun at Carlsbad raceway and at Antelope Valley also.

DeanoVW

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 15:37:27 pm »

Great pics, thanks for sharing.  Grin
Larry S

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 15:53:32 pm »

A few more pics. First one is Cory McClenathan ( Cory Mac) in his bug at Bug O Rama May 1982. A talked to him a couple of years ago and he still had it but had painted it black. Second one is our close friend Aaron L. in his buggy at the Bug O Rama 1984, I believe he won that one. I helped him build it and he ran a 11:33 first pass at OCIR, it was the drag day I think when first took it out and all the timing lights went out that day and they used a flag man like the old days, total mess. Last one is my Dad running against a old 427 Chevy II at Carlsbad, that guy made us take the decklid off after this pass so he could look at the motor. He said that he knew we would get out on him but that he knew he would go flying by on the top end....but he never did, couldn't catch Dad, he was so blown away how fast it was. We ran a lot of those kind of events and had a ball doing it.

Larry S

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 16:21:53 pm »

First pic is Rod Jr. against Bob Hole in Nasty Habit at a Bug O Rama, Second one is Rod against Peloquins (sp?) bug catcher at Bug O Rama, third pic is Rod against a white buggy at Bug O rama (not sure who), Fourth is Rod at OCIR against a nice fastback, not sure of who it was.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 18:28:43 pm »

awesome larry , thx for sharing with us , it's cool to see some news pictures

Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 20:16:00 pm »

Good stuff Larry...   btw...I was the one who assisted Mike with trailering the ruined wreck back to sunny so.cal. ..and almost lost everything on the grapvine when an inconsiderate driver decided to squeeze a lane.     note: upon seeing the car in the burnout box from the tower I almost made executive decision to red light before the lights came down as I was concerned about the rear suspension/camber set too high(positive)....needless to say the picture speaks volumes of that unfortunate day..... 
jonathan

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 20:48:25 pm »

Thanks for sharing.I never tire of looking at old photos.
Larry S

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 03:34:12 am »

I have a LOT more pictures but it's gonna be a couple more weeks before I will have the time to scan and post them. I think you guys will enjoy them so stay posted and have fun to all that are going to EBI, maybe we will get to go next year.....
Larry

bugnut68

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 20:10:01 pm »

Every time I see one of those mangled gassers I'm amazed that there was never any fatalities.

x2... the safety factor alone is one reason I'm a much bigger fan of the modern drag cars.

Bill, what ever happened to Matt Forquer after he wrecked his car?  He once brought it up to the Portland Bug In here in Oregon in 1990, I think, along with Adam Wik, Mitch Evensen and Jim and Candy Larsen... just curious if he's still out of VWs altogether or if's doing anything else these days.
cal-look 56

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 00:09:39 am »

Is it me or does the trailer in the pics of the wreck have BRM's?

BTW, Great pics.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 00:33:19 am by cal-look 56 » Logged
Russell

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 00:18:45 am »

Larry fantastic picutres, after EBI and the holidays i will post a few of Yours, Rods and your Dads cars reunited again anther one for the family album, once again thanks for posting they are fantastic.

Yes they do look like BRM's wonder where the trailer is, in a back yard i bet !!!!

Best Regards

Russell
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 00:38:31 am »

Hmmm... similar, but I think not...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
cal-look 56

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 00:50:48 am »

Hmmm... similar, but I think not...

yeah, the more I look the more the spokes look right but the lip looks off.  Sorry Mr. Ritchie Grin

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 01:15:28 am »

Those wheels were made by Cragar.
They were an option on early Shelby Mustangs.
But , I asked Joe Vittone and he said they were where the inspiration for the BRM came from !
Also the 1965 Shelby GT-350 is where the inspiration for the GTV came from !
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:23:26 am by Richard Roth » Logged
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 04:10:20 am »

x2... the safety factor alone is one reason I'm a much bigger fan of the modern drag cars.

Bill, what ever happened to Matt Forquer after he wrecked his car?  He once brought it up to the Portland Bug In here in Oregon in 1990, I think, along with Adam Wik, Mitch Evensen and Jim and Candy Larsen... just curious if he's still out of VWs altogether or if's doing anything else these days.
I have not seen Matt for years. I know he got into MTB riding & racing after the car. I hear he pops into George Jimenez's shop now & then. But I think he got cured of wanting to race VW's after wadding 1 up.

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
marc1951

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 04:49:24 am »

Desperation drag car that belonged to Dave Folts and Rich Firsch (not sure on the spelling), one of the first one piece fiberglass VW bodies that I can remember
Larry
Desperation was built and owned by Dave Folts, Rich Fersch, and me (Marc Buehler). We bought the body sight unseen from a guy in Hollywood who made several for The Love Bug movie.  Although potentially a light weight car, we went with a very stout and heavy roll cage (which proved to be a good move-see picture below). We financed the car by installing Select-A-Drops at night, in my garage. I built the motor and wanted to experiment with new things but Rich and Dave just wanted to have fun and drive the car, so I became bored and stopped going out with them.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
This is me with the car on our first outing

Rich was going through the lights and went air borne,  rolling 3 times. That over weight roll cage left Rich without a scratch and in my opinion, started Rich in off road racing <grin>

At the time, we thought the car to be totaled, but a new mag, new wheel, etc. and it was surprisingly easy fixing a fiberglass body.

Car fixed and looking good.  The car was eventally sold to someone who painted it blue and was in a magazine where he led people to believe he had built the car. I couldn't see anything different except for the color....sheeeez.

Marc
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
low oval
DKK

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 08:27:51 am »

great story about desperation, you forgot the part about the original builder/fabricator being killed in some bar fight (if I remember correctly).  I was at that first drag as well and have some pictures of it also.  I bought my oval from Rich and still have it.

after it was painted yellow.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 09:31:43 am »

All these pics are so cool to see , thanks guys
S Brown

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 20:23:09 pm »

Marc,
Is that the Ghia that my dad drove on the left in the last picture? I've been looking for pics of that car for a long time.
marc1951

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12:06 am »

Marc,
Is that the Ghia that my dad drove on the left in the last picture? I've been looking for pics of that car for a long time.

Yup, that is Jim Brown's ghia. I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures of it.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: