The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 01:08:54 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Barrett-Jackson O. C.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barrett-Jackson O. C.  (Read 6229 times)
Speed-Randy

« on: June 26, 2011, 03:19:53 am »

Did anybody else just see a '63 23 window bus sell for $198,000? Holy crap, if you thought they were outrageously priced before, think what people are gonna be asking for one now!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Speed-Randy

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:23:00 am »

Oh yeah, it's also the top seller so far!!! Who'd of thought

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 03:43:53 am »

Was it a mouse grey micro ? And No shit about priceing ! Every peice of junk is going to be worth 100.000

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Speed-Randy

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:00:33 am »

Yes it was mouse grey, beautifully done. But $200k?

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:08:19 am »

Finnally the vw community is getting paid for there hard work! Think of it this way, Whats a year out of your life worth restoreing a fricken vw worth plus parts and materials?  Now lets hope in the future some cal-llok cars get up to that value !!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 05:08:00 am »

Finnally the vw community is getting paid for there hard work! Think of it this way, Whats a year out of your life worth restoreing a fricken vw worth plus parts and materials?  Now lets hope in the future some cal-llok cars get up to that value !!

Let's hope not... You and I will be priced out of the market.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
bugnut68

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 23:49:34 pm »

When I heard about this, the first thing that came to mind is the buyer's first priority is "look at me, I'm loaded."  Lol.   Roll Eyes Grin

I've always been into VWs because of their understated simplicity... I just can't take somebody seriously that's willing to dump that kind of coin on a VW, unless it were some kind of super duper rare historical car (the VW38 restored in Lithuania is a good example, or a rare car like a Hebmuller or Denzel, etc.  Dont' know about $200K, but you get the idea of the context I'm speaking of.)

I've never been much of a bus guy, though I do have appreciation for a quality restoration or build.  I just think it's lame that there are people out there chucking their dollars around because they can, which is why I've never been a huge fan of the Barrett Jackson auctions. It pretty much epitomizes "more money than brains."
My own POS '70 Bug will continue to be ugly as sin because I can't even afford a cheapie paint job and it took me two years to build my 2017 engine... for many out there that's a 'small' motor.  Grin
I've always stayed with VWs because it's a pretty laidback group compared to the hardcore muscle car or street rod crowd... not nearly as much ego as other automotive groups.  Even if I had the money I wouldn't spend $200K on any VW or any other car for that matter, but then it's quite likely I'll never have that kind of cash to throw around.  Tongue

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:43:54 am »

Does anyone know the name of the seller or restorer ?
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:54 am »

Does anyone know the name of the seller or restorer ?

David Nevarez
nlvtinman

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:41:11 am »

As a friend an I spoke about this last night. Larry noted how 20+ years back the muscle car era automobiles came of age and the prices grew at an alarming rate.
Guys my age having income that was available to go after what they wanted when young, but didn't get at the time.
I can remember seeing a 68' Shelby GT500 at "Stick City" in Pasadena Ca for sale for $5,000. That was in probably 1972. I was 19 and that may as well have been a million dollars.  Then, not long ago, to see a similar car go through B/J for close to 100 times that amount.

So, now we've come along, another generation has entered the market. Guys who's disposable income and (lack of) brains are going to drive certain VW prices to levels as of yet unheard of. Sadly, their overspending will lead the prices of less than stellar cars to be priced at levels that are unrealistic. Over 200 thou for a Non vintage era VW bus...who ever could have beileved it?
There goes chances for those who still love a VW as a car to enjoy and enter into the car collecting hobby with.
They Will be priced out. And that is too bad.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 06:03:30 am »

I've never been a huge fan of the Barrett Jackson auctions. It pretty much epitomizes "more money than brains."

THIS.

Fully agree.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
qubek

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:44:28 pm »

Finnally the vw community is getting paid for there hard work!

Just checked my bank account. Didn't receive anything. Where can I claim ma share?  Wink

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 19:50:17 pm »

Finnally the vw community is getting paid for there hard work!

Just checked my bank account. Didn't receive anything. Where can I claim ma share?  Wink

It's probably in a Nigerian Bank  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
kingsburgphil

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 22:12:46 pm »

This was easy to predict.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/article/vintage-microbuses-stall-in-las-vegas
Bryan67

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 05:35:49 am »

Waa.... Waaaa.... Waaaaaaa. And I`m sorry but that DC is hideous.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 15:42:14 pm »

IMO, those prices are still stupids.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: